NCAA Recruiting Thread

Kmart128

• 1 month later...

2022 5* SF Dariq Whitehead (#6 overall) is announcing his college decision on August 1st. Duke is leading 75% to 25% in the crystal ball projections and just got two picks for Duke from guys that are pretty tapped into Duke recruiting earlier this morning. Would be a huge get as Scheyer's first commitment. 

Cockburn back in school. Either Illinois or UK if I had to guess.

Kansas is gonna have a ridiculously deep team. Everyone withdrew from draft, tom of transfers. Probably 10 quality P5 starters on that roster. If 1 or 2 guys emerge as dangerous playmakers and Self figures out the right rotation, they will cruise to a 1 seed even in Big 12.

On 5/21/2021 at 1:47 PM, NYRaider said:

Like half of the top 10 recruits in 2022 are leaning towards the G-League route.

I wonder if this changes now with the NIL in place.  Seems like exposure wise and money wise they could all get more money in college unless the G League figures out a way to attract an audience.  

• Like 1

On 7/7/2021 at 5:39 AM, Sllim Pickens said:

I wonder if this changes now with the NIL in place.  Seems like exposure wise and money wise they could all get more money in college unless the G League figures out a way to attract an audience.  

Agreed. Will be interesting to monitor how Jaden Hardy and Scoota Henderson do in the G-League this year. Last years group had such weird circumstances because they only had 15 games in a bubble setting. The team this year will have to travel across the country to great cities such as Des Moines and Erie. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/7/2021 at 8:39 AM, Sllim Pickens said:

I would think so, the G league is less popular on TV than minor league baseball.  Zion Williamson was a household name before he even finished at Duke.

1 hour ago, THE DUKE said:

I would think so, the G league is less popular on TV than minor league baseball.  Zion Williamson was a household name before he even finished at Duke.

That's true but Overtime's new HS basketball league also changes things. They've already signed a few high profile recruits and just signed Nathan Missia-Dio who is considered one of the top young prospects in Europe who was already playing professional basketball. 

Any player aged 16-18 is eligible to sign with the league, make a $100k salary while also receiving health care, full coverage insurance, get private schooling to finish their HS education, and receive equity in the company/league. If for whatever reason any player that signs with the league doesn't become a pro, the league is also going to give them a full ride scholarship to pay for their college education. The catch is that any player that does sign with the league also immediately forfeits their college eligibility.    

But this isn't like Lavar's make shift JBA league, they have serious backing. They received investments from a number of high profile businessmen, NBA executives, entertainers, current NBA players. Including guys like the late David Stern, Drake, Jeff Bezos, and Kevin Durant. They've also received investment from large private hedge funds. I think the league has already been valued at $250M before even playing a game. 

Obviously the team won't be playing on ESPN or any other major platform. But Overtime has over 50 million followers on social media and averages 1.8 billion views across those platforms each month. The reality show that they did on Jalen Green during his year at Prolific Prep averaged around 1M views per episode on YouTube. 

So I think for a really high profile recruit such as an Emoni Bates or Zion Williamson signing with the Overtime league followed by going the G-League route (if the one-n-done rule is still in effect) makes a ton of sense. If either one of those guys signed with the league as a sophomore they would've guaranteed themselves $300k in their last 3 years of HS basketball. And they would've also became eligible to sign major endorsement deals at 16 years old. While they may not get a ton of endorsements from smaller companies as the league is unlikely to have a ton of viewership. I could 1 million percent see companies like Nike, Adidas, etc offering a kid like Emoni or Zion a major shoe deal even at 16-17 years old just to get ahead of the curve. It'd also be pretty ground breaking for Nike to release a signature shoe for someone like Emoni Bates while he's still in HS. And for any player that does go this route they can then go play in the G-League and make another $500k. 

Edited by NYRaider

@THE DUKE I also think the G-League route prepares guys better for the league then the traditional college route. Obviously it wasn't great for Green's brand to the general public because very few people got to see him play. But he was also working with NBA coaches, trainers, executives, and playing against/practicing with NBA veterans everyday. I'm not sure if Brian Shaw is going to remain the head coach of the G-League team but I think the time Jalen spent with him will prove to be extremely valuable as he transitions to the NBA.