NCAA Recruiting Thread

Kmart128

1 minute ago, Sllim Pickens said:

If he is going to reclassify, there is no point in going to the overtime league IMO.  It would be what they need to get off the ground and he could sign a shoe deal but he can do that in the G League too.  He can also make a lot of money and build his brand in college.  Oregon would be a slick move for him to get into that Nike money.  Baylor would not be smart IMO as I think they fall off losing so much this year.  I am guessing he gets paid to play somewhere this year, I don't think he wants to deal with school at any level.  

The Overtime league makes sense if he's going to sign a shoe deal because he'll get the $100k salary and they're going to play a weak schedule so the risk of him playing bad and hurting his draft stock isn't as high as it would be playing in the G-League. We saw what happened with Kuminga this year, it's tough to play against grown men, especially coming up a year early to do it. 

In the G-League he'd obviously get the $500k salary while also being able to sign a shoe deal. But he'd be playing against way tougher competition and it doesn't really help him from a personal brand development stand point, no one's watching those guys play. The NBL is a similar situation where he'd get paid $500k-$1M for a year plus a shoe deal but the competition is slightly tougher and it's another situation where he'd have minimal exposure. 

If he goes to Oregon he technically can't sign a shoe deal but I'd imagine he'd get a similar deal to what Kayvon Thibodeaux just got there. He signed an NIL deal with Phil Knight to sell an "NFT" designed by Tinker Hatfield (Jordan's main sneaker designer) for an undisclosed amount. So I'd guess they'd give Bates a similar type of deal and then guarantee him a major shoe deal/signature shoe as soon as he declares for the draft. Oregon looks like they'll have a pretty decent team next season and with the addition of Bates would likely be a top 10 team nationally. Pac-12 basketball just doesn't really get a ton of viewership though because most of their games are super late at night. But I'd guess he gets the Cade Cunningham treatment regardless of where he goes. 

Michigan State was so-so last year and lost a ton of players from last years team. (4 transfers, 2 to the NBA) They have some interesting pieces coming in and Bates would likely bump them up from a fringe top 25 team to a top 15 team. He'd definitely get the most exposure playing at MSU and could make a ton of NIL deals but I'm not sure that he'll recommit. 

Baylor or Miami make zero sense, imo. 

8 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

The Overtime league makes sense if he's going to sign a shoe deal because he'll get the $100k salary and they're going to play a weak schedule so the risk of him playing bad and hurting his draft stock isn't as high as it would be playing in the G-League. We saw what happened with Kuminga this year, it's tough to play against grown men, especially coming up a year early to do it. 

In the G-League he'd obviously get the $500k salary while also being able to sign a shoe deal. But he'd be playing against way tougher competition and it doesn't really help him from a personal brand development stand point, no one's watching those guys play. The NBL is a similar situation where he'd get paid $500k-$1M for a year plus a shoe deal but the competition is slightly tougher and it's another situation where he'd have minimal exposure. 

If he goes to Oregon he technically can't sign a shoe deal but I'd imagine he'd get a similar deal to what Kayvon Thibodeaux just got there. He signed an NIL deal with Phil Knight to sell an "NFT" designed by Tinker Hatfield (Jordan's main sneaker designer) for an undisclosed amount. So I'd guess they'd give Bates a similar type of deal and then guarantee him a major shoe deal/signature shoe as soon as he declares for the draft. Oregon looks like they'll have a pretty decent team next season and with the addition of Bates would likely be a top 10 team nationally. Pac-12 basketball just doesn't really get a ton of viewership though because most of their games are super late at night. But I'd guess he gets the Cade Cunningham treatment regardless of where he goes. 

Michigan State was so-so last year and lost a ton of players from last years team. (4 transfers, 2 to the NBA) They have some interesting pieces coming in and Bates would likely bump them up from a fringe top 25 team to a top 15 team. He'd definitely get the most exposure playing at MSU and could make a ton of NIL deals but I'm not sure that he'll recommit. 

Baylor or Miami make zero sense, imo. 

Pretty much agree with all of this.  I get going to play easier competition but also that's a mentality thing that I wouldn't want in my top pick.  I think that alone would be a knock on him and if he doesn't learn to share the ball there, he could hurt his stock some.  Not like out of the top 3/4 but with Chet and Paolo he could not be the #1 pick if he takes the easy route and doesnt do well. 

Also the losses for MSU from last year to the transfer portal really don't hurt at all and Henry is the only one lost to the draft.  Henry is a loss but gaining Walker a vet PG from Northeastern along with Christie could make for a really good team next year with Bates.  The biggest issue with MSU is they also are bringing in Jaden Akins who is the kid he got in a fight with at Ypsi Prep and then they sent Akins off to finish school at Sunrise.  So I am guessing that relationship unless mended would likely steer Bates elsewhere.   MSU would be a legit contender next year with Bates.  But I don't see him recommitting either.  It just wouldn't make a ton of sense.  

Just now, Sllim Pickens said:

Pretty much agree with all of this.  I get going to play easier competition but also that's a mentality thing that I wouldn't want in my top pick.  I think that alone would be a knock on him and if he doesn't learn to share the ball there, he could hurt his stock some.  Not like out of the top 3/4 but with Chet and Paolo he could not be the #1 pick if he takes the easy route and doesnt do well. 

Also the losses for MSU from last year to the transfer portal really don't hurt at all and Henry is the only one lost to the draft.  Henry is a loss but gaining Walker a vet PG from Northeastern along with Christie could make for a really good team next year with Bates.  The biggest issue with MSU is they also are bringing in Jaden Akins who is the kid he got in a fight with at Ypsi Prep and then they sent Akins off to finish school at Sunrise.  So I am guessing that relationship unless mended would likely steer Bates elsewhere.   MSU would be a legit contender next year with Bates.  But I don't see him recommitting either.  It just wouldn't make a ton of sense.  

The Overtime League doesn't make a ton of sense unless he already has a major shoe deal in place. IIRC, LaMelo got $100M from Puma so I'd assume that Bates would get something in the same range. If that's the case then I'd totally understand why he'd go that route. But it's definitely very risky as they aren't even going to operate like a real league, they're going to have "dynamic rosters" that play exhibition games against other teams yet to be determined. Who knows how that will even wind up going and it's definitely risky to be the first guy to go that route. 

If a company is willing to give him a massive shoe deal to play in the OT league, I'd imagine they'd give him that same deal if he went the G-League route. And at least we've already seen that the G-League experiment can be successful for top guys as Green/Kuminga are both still projected top 6 picks. Plus despite the level of competition being higher he'll also be able to work with NBA coaches, trainers, and it really is the closest thing you can get to being in the NBA without actually being in the league. 

Yeah, I think the G-League, Overtime, or Oregon are the most 3 likely landing spots. But after seeing some of those NIL deals other guys have been getting, I wouldn't be shocked if he did recommit to MSU. MSU would provide him the biggest platform to build his personal brand as he'd play a ton of games on ESPN and he'd have a chance to compete for a national championship immediately. Plus MSU is a Nike school so I'm sure he'd still get a nice shoe deal immediately after declaring for the draft. 

I personally hope that he goes to Oregon or MSU just so we can see him play but can understand the logic of 6/8 of his choices other than Baylor/Miami. The NBL also doesn't really seem like a smart move either, if you wanna go pro might as well just play in the G-League. 

On 7/28/2021 at 12:28 PM, NYRaider said:

Oregon will be a legit title contender if they land him.

Anyone technically should be a legit title contender with him if they arent complete trash like OSU with Cade, and even then he beat Baylor and went to the B12 title game.  Any team that has a decent foundation and a solid recruiting class should be in the running adding one of the best players in the country.  

11 minutes ago, TitanSlim said:

Big big get here for Scheyer and Duke.    He was as good as any player I saw at Peach Jam.

We’ll see how the coaching will be but no drop off for Duke or UNC recruiting wise with Scheyer and Davis so far.

Scheyer > Davis

#6 overall and #33 overall already? @beekay414