NCAA Recruiting Thread

Kmart128

one more thing and i'll end it here.  stars dont matter to sampson is my point.  he goes after guys who are coachable, works hard and willing to play defense and want to be developed.  

look at grimes for a second.  he was a 5 star and had a sub par freshman year.  bill self thought he wasnt good enough to keep his scholly so he transferred to houston.  he got much better his sophmore and jr year and as a result got drafted round 1 by the knicks. 

2 hours ago, Texansfan713 said:

they arent a power house right now. lol

memphis was in much better shape when penny took over than when sampson took over. there is no comparison. 

No one is saying that they're a power house program but Memphis has certainly had more success/been more relevant in the recent era of college basketball. They played for a national championship with Derrick Rose and have been able to land high level recruits pretty consistently, especially for being a smaller program. Just recently they've had Derrick Rose drafted #1, Tyreke Evans drafted #4, and James Wiseman drafted #2. 

They're definitely one of the shadier programs in the country but them landing Duren today and potentially landing Emoni Bates puts them at the forefront of college basketball next season. They're going to be a legit national title contender.

2 minutes ago, Texansfan713 said:

it looks good on paper.

It does. College basketball is a guards game though as we just saw with Baylor winning the national championship with Mitchell, Teague, and Butler. The one major concern for them is their lack of starting caliber guards. Lomak is decent but nothing special and Tyler Harris is a 5'9" shooting guard. 

17 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

It does. College basketball is a guards game though as we just saw with Baylor winning the national championship with Mitchell, Teague, and Butler. The one major concern for them is their lack of starting caliber guards. Lomak is decent but nothing special and Tyler Harris is a 5'9" shooting guard. 

Isn't Bates a primary ball handler though, despite being 6'9"?

12 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

Isn't Bates a primary ball handler though, despite being 6'9"?

I don't think so. According to YPSI Prep's website he averaged 2.8 assists/2.8 turnovers in AAU play and 2.3 assists during his high school season. (TO #'s weren't listed) 

Also interesting to note that he had 38/26/79 splits during his HS season and 38/30/89 splits during AAU play. 

https://collegebasketball.nbcsports.com/2020/06/29/emoni-bates-nba-michigan-state-draft/

1 minute ago, NYRaider said:

I don't think so. According to YPSI Prep's website he averaged 2.8 assists/2.8 turnovers in AAU play and 2.3 assists during his high school season. (TO #'s weren't listed) 

Also interesting to note that he had 38/26/79 splits during his HS season and 38/30/89 splits during AAU play. 

https://collegebasketball.nbcsports.com/2020/06/29/emoni-bates-nba-michigan-state-draft/

I thought I remembered reading that he had to do everything for his team because the rest of them sucked but I could be wrong.

1 minute ago, beekay414 said:

I thought I remembered reading that he had to do everything for his team because the rest of them sucked but I could be wrong.

The whole YPSI Prep situation was a little odd, Emoni's dad created it and they played together as a HS team and an AAU team. 

In terms of his teammates, their roster was pretty stacked. They also had Jaden Akins (#50 in '21), Dillon Hunter (#84 in '22), Shawn Phillips (#108 in '22), Javaughn Hannah (#145 in '22). I think more or less their entire roster were guys that will play major college basketball. 

Baylor lands arguably the best player in the 2021 class in Keyonte George. Talent is absolutely stacked the next few years.

James Akinjo, Adam Flagler, Matthew Mayer, LJ Cryer, Kendall Brown, Jonathan Tchamwa Tchatchoua, Langston Love, Jeremy Sochan, Keyonte George, Dillon Hunter, and a decent chance we land Anthony Black.