NCAA Recruiting Thread

Kmart128

2 hours ago, Texansfan713 said:

not sure why its homerism but ok dude.

Because anyone who isnt a fan of one team in the argument, can see that another is significantly more talented than the other.  Even before Bates I would have taken Memphis over Houston this year.  You guys had a good run last year, and have a good coach, but without the talent, it only takes you so far. 

1 hour ago, Texansfan713 said:

this discussion going nowhere so i'll just leave it at that.

just keep that same energy when memphis gets owned again this season by houston.   @NYRaider@beekay414

This is rich coming from the man that couldn't hold up his end of the bargain when he claimed Tom Herman wouldn't leave Houston. You're the last person to talk about "keeping the same energy" homie. 

1 hour ago, Bullet Club said:

Talent doesn't guarantee you a title in a single elimination tournament. Anything can happen in a one game scenario. However, it's extremely important over the course of an entire season, and this is the most talented Memphis team in 14 years. Duke was a 1 seed that year for a reason.

Most definitely. Duke winning the title with Jon Scheyer/Kyle Single and Jahlil Okafor/Tyus Jones but losing in the Elite 8 with RJ/Zion was so disappointing. But Memphis certainly has the talent to be a 1 seed and make a deep run in the tournament. The only concern I have with your roster is the lack of elite guard play. As we saw with Baylor last year the team that usually wins it all has great guards. 

then why didnt duke win the title with zion, barrett and cam reddish if talent matters?  give me coaching and development over recruiting ratings.  thats why sampson has outcoached penny every single meeting except 1 game. 

until penny can prove he can coach better than kelvin sampson memphis has to go through houston.

point blank period

Do you have three 4 star Juniors on the team with back to back years of All American play?  MSU knocked off a heavy favorite in Duke (they were the 1 seed an ACC champs) with Cassius Winston being the player of the year and Xavier Tillman being an NBA talent with other seniors/juniors in Nick Ward and Matt McQuaid who have played professionally and were experienced and productive prior to that season.  MSU had talent, not as much and caught them.  Duke beats MSU 8 out of 10 times that year though.  To call a year like that a failure, you are crazy.  The best Houston has ever done was last year and they made it just as far with two NBA players on their roster and lost 3 of their top 4 scorers.  Nobody else on that team has proven they can carry a team.  They are depending on freshman and transfers to maintain and I don't see it.  

Yes coaching can help in tight games in the tournament, but the talent wins out the majority of the time.  Especially over a season.  Maybe Houston gets them once, but over the season, Memphis will be the better team. 

give me coaching and development over recruiting ratings. 

That's why Coach K has 5 national championships across multiple decades and Kelvin Sampson has made the Final 4 twice (0 national tiles) in 28 years as a head coach. Over the course of 28 years coaching at 5 separate programs Sampson's teams have made the tournament 16 times and he has won 19 games. Great developer of talent. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, seminoles1 said:

I love when people set themselves up to eat so much crow. I dont even like college basketball, but you can be damn sure imma be in here if Memphis is better than Houston.

There is a chance Houston can win the AAC.  It wouldn't be the first time a favorite doesnt win.  But if you want to play odds, it is a very small chance Houston can replace 3 of its top 4 scorers, their best defender, and be just as good as last year.  It just doesnt happen unless you bring in a class like Memphis just did.  

I am hoping MSU can win the Big10.  We have a great coach and some good talent coming in, but I am well aware that UM has more talent and a good coach as well.  And Ohio St has a lot of talent, and Purdue has a lot of talent....  So even though we potentially could win (very unlikely though), I am not going to sit here and laugh at people who say we wont.  Its the same concept. Being a realist about your team can help those sad feelings when you dont meet expectations. 

3 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

That's why Coach K has 5 national championships across multiple decades and Kelvin Sampson has made the Final 4 twice (0 national tiles) in 28 years as a head coach. Over the course of 28 years coaching at 5 separate programs Sampson's teams have made the tournament 16 times and he has won 19 games. Great developer of talent. 

And Calipari has won or been close how many times with freshman talent?  Development is great if you can develop a guy like Grimes but that only gets you so far.  Baylor developed talent last year, and it led to a championship but losing their top players means they either need to keep developing guys or they will fall off some.  Development doesnt happen over night and it also doesn't usually lead to wins in the first year of tapping into that development.  

14 minutes ago, Sllim Pickens said:

And Calipari has won or been close how many times with freshman talent?  Development is great if you can develop a guy like Grimes but that only gets you so far.  Baylor developed talent last year, and it led to a championship but losing their top players means they either need to keep developing guys or they will fall off some.  Development doesnt happen over night and it also doesn't usually lead to wins in the first year of tapping into that development.  

When you look back at the last 10 national champions they've all had multiple NBA players and almost all of them have had at least one player that went on to be a lottery pick. The only two teams that were led by freshmen to a title were Kentucky with AD/MKG and Duke with Okafor/Winslow/Jones. But the veteran teams also had really good players that had played together for years. Look at the 3 last 3 title teams, Baylor had Davion Mitchell, Virginia had DeAndre Hunter, and Villanova had Mikal Bridges, all 3 of whom were top 10 picks in the draft. 

30 minutes ago, Sllim Pickens said:

Yes coaching can help in tight games in the tournament, but the talent wins out the majority of the time.  Especially over a season.  Maybe Houston gets them once, but over the season, Memphis will be the better team. 

Houston beat Memphis by 2 and 3 in their two matchups last season, lol. 

29 minutes ago, Texansfan713 said:

and that matters how?  sounds like to me penny cant make adjustments when their season are on the line. 

Because you're acting like Houston (during their very best season ever) just ran through Memphis (during an okay season) so they'll do it again. When in reality both teams will be almost completely different this year and your team lost significant pieces without adding any elite players while Memphis is bringing in one of the best classes in college basketball history. 

If Ralph Sampson can only beat Penny by 1 score when he has Quinten Grimes (AAC POY, 1st round pick) and Memphis best player was Boogie Ellis. Penny will probably beat him by 30 when it's Kyler Edwards vs Emoni Bates, lol. 

• Like 2

On 8/30/2021 at 10:48 AM, Texansfan713 said:

Hard to really know because it is so far off and a lot of guys will rise and fall before the 2024 class has its final ranking. 247 said that he'd be ranked in the top 100 when they release it and he's the #33 player on InTheGymHoops 2024 rankings. I'd assume he's pretty good though as he played with Chet Holmgren and Jalen Suggs. 

• Like 1