• Josh Jackson [ CB ] Iowa
    • Isaiah Wynn [ G/T ] Georgia
    • Rashaan Evans [ ILB ] Alabama
    • Taven Bryan [ DT ] Florida
    • Courtland Sutton [ WR ] SMU
    • Mike McGlinchey [ OT ] Notre Dame
    • James Daniels [ C ] Iowa
    • Billy Price [ G/C ] Ohio St.
    • Leighton Vander Esch [ ILB ] Boise St.
  2. 2. 2nd Preference

• Derrius Guice [ RB ] LSU
    • Maurice Hurst [ DT ] Michigan
    • Orlando Brown [ OT ] Oklahoma
    • Da'Ron Payne [ DT ] Alabama
    • Lamar Jackson [ QB ] Louisville
    • Harold Landry [ OLB ] Boston College
    • Josh Jackson [ CB ] Iowa
    • Isaiah Wynn [ G/T ] Georgia
    • Rashaan Evans [ ILB ] Alabama
    • Taven Bryan [ DT ] Florida
    • Courtland Sutton [ WR ] SMU
    • Mike McGlinchey [ OT ] Notre Dame
    • James Daniels [ C ] Iowa
    • Billy Price [ G/C ] Ohio St.
    • Leighton Vander Esch [ ILB ] Boise St.

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 02/26/2018 at 08:03 PM

PLEASE READ THESE RULES BEFORE POSTING OR VOTING:

• Each poll will last 24 hours 
  • There are two polls, one to cast your first choice, one to cast your second preference
  • The player with the most votes from BOTH polls, will be declared the pick
  • There will be no run-offs
  • If you vote for the same player in both polls, your vote(s) will be disqualified

Before complaining about poll options, refer to this thread:-

https://forums.footballsfuture.com/topic/7055-consensus-mock-rules-and-feedback-thread/

Chargers Needs from https://sports.yahoo.com/2018-nfl-team-needs-041500466--spt.html

Linebacker: Hamstring and ankle injuries have cost WLB Denzel Perryman 13 games over the past two seasons. In Gus Bradley’s scheme, starting jobs at middle and strong-side linebacker are up for grabs. Despite one of the NFL’s most-talented fronts keyed by Joey Bosa, Melvin Ingram, and Corey Liuget, the Chargers finished a lowly 27th in Football Outsiders’ run-defense DVOA due in large part to substandard linebacker play. 

Defensive Line: Bosa, Ingram, and Liuget are all signed long term and give the Bolts a defensive bedrock complemented by CBs Casey Hayward, Jason Verrett, Trevor Williams, and Desmond King, arguably the NFL’s deepest cornerback room. NT Brandon Mebane is falling off at age 33, however, and Los Angeles is short on depth behind its three D-Line studs. The Bolts could use another run stuffer and at least one more pass rusher, either on the interior or off the edge. 

Quarterback: Philip Rivers has two years left on his deal and is still playing at a high level, but his ability to stretch the field has waned. The time is right to begin grooming a quarterback for the future on a talented roster. With that said, the Chargers may hold off on drafting an early-round signal caller for one more year. In that understandable case, hunting for free safety help and competition for C Spencer Pulley would address more immediate needs. Oh, and about that kicker dilemma. 

Results:-

1.Cleveland - Sam Darnold [QB] USC

2.NY Giants - Josh Rosen [QB] UCLA

3.Indianapolis - Bradley Chubb [DE] NC State

4.Cleveland(From Houston) - Saquon Barkley [RB] Penn St.

5.Denver - Quenton Nelson [OG] Notre Dame

6.NY Jets - Baker Mayfield [ QB ] Oklahoma

7.Tampa Bay - Minkah Fitzpatrick [ FS ] Alabama

8.Chicago - Denzel Ward [ CB ] Ohio St.

9.San Francisco - Tremaine Edmunds [ ILB ] Va. Tech

10.Oakland - Roquan Smith [ ILB ] Georgia

11.Miami - Marcus Davenport [ DE ] UTSA

12.Cincinnati - Connor Williams [ OT ] Texas

13.Washington - Vita Vea [ DT ] Washington

14.Green Bay - Derwin James [ SS ] Florida St.

15.Arizona - Josh Allen [ QB ] Wyoming

16.Baltimore - Calvin Ridley [ WR ] Alabama

17.LA Chargers

18.Seattle

19.Dallas

20.Detroit

21.Buffalo

22.Buffalo

23.LA Rams

24.Carolina

25.Tennessee

26.Atlanta

27.New Orleans

28.Pittsburgh

29.Jacksonville

30.Minnesota

31.New England

32.Philadelphia

I went with Evans but I wouldn't be mad with Hurst or Payne either.  I feel like we can get our defensive tackle in the second.  Maybe Tim Settle or Harrison Phillips,  I like a possible Evans/Settle (1st,2nd round) combo more than say a Payne/(insert middle round linebacker of your choice here) scenario.  I wouldn't be against a Hurst/Settle combo either though.  That Dline needs some work

Went with Lamar Jackson, but for business reasons as much as football ones

Rivers has 2 years left on his deal and the Chargers move into their new shared stadium in 2020. Rivers is a tie to the old Chargers, they need a new face of the franchise that will excite the LA fanbase. Jackson could be that guy. He'd have time to hone his craft while Rivers keeps em competitive. Chargers have to win a chunk of the LA fanbase and drafting an electric talent like Lamar makes sense.

I really don't love anyone on the board here. I don't think Payne is a NT in the NFL.  He screams 2 gap 3T (really a 2T) DT to me, with his ability to play square up on his blocker and stack/shed when the ball is coming at him, as well as his deficiencies vs doubles. I'm really not big on him as a Nose at all.  As for 3T, I think we have some big upside in Philon and even though he's overpaid, Liuget is a solid player overall, just nothing special, he does a lot of dirty work.

To be honest, Tim Settle is my pick here, I think he's the best NT in the draft (even over Vea), and very pre-injury BJ Raji/Brandon Williams/Prime Mebane like at NT.  Guy is going to be really good, and we're a perfect situation where he'll have a mentor to play under/with in Mebane, as he needs someone to show him how to do things IMO, especially with the whole weight thing.

Of the guys on the board, I think Rashaan Evans is the pick.  Telesco has put value on guys from successful programs early, and he could slot right in as a Sam LB, who can also shift inside and play the Mike if Perryman gets hurt again.  He can step down and play the edge, and he can play as a true off ball LB.  Not the greatest skills in coverage, but he's fast and physical, which is something we're lacking at the LB spot.  My only caveat here is that our DC and LB coach have formed some CRAZY talented LB corps without a single first round pick used (Smith formed the Broncos LB group that included Miller, Ware, Trevathan and Marshall, and then the Falcons current group of Jones, Campbell, and Beasley, while Bradley obviously built the KJ Wright, Bruce Irvin, Bobby Wagoner trio in Seattle, along with the Telvin Smith, Miles Jack, Poz).  They clearly have an eye for identifying talent at LB (or developing talent, one or the other), so I'd say we end up giving them free reign to pick whoever their guy is at LB (For some reason Christian Sam seems to really fit the mold of their guys this year).  So we'll see how that works out.

1 hour ago, Duffman57 said:

I really don't love anyone on the board here. I don't think Payne is a NT in the NFL.  He screams 2 gap 3T (really a 2T) DT to me, with his ability to play square up on his blocker and stack/shed when the ball is coming at him, as well as his deficiencies vs doubles. I'm really not big on him as a Nose at all.  As for 3T, I think we have some big upside in Philon and even though he's overpaid, Liuget is a solid player overall, just nothing special, he does a lot of dirty work.

To be honest, Tim Settle is my pick here, I think he's the best NT in the draft (even over Vea), and very pre-injury BJ Raji/Brandon Williams/Prime Mebane like at NT.  Guy is going to be really good, and we're a perfect situation where he'll have a mentor to play under/with in Mebane, as he needs someone to show him how to do things IMO, especially with the whole weight thing.

Of the guys on the board, I think Rashaan Evans is the pick.  Telesco has put value on guys from successful programs early, and he could slot right in as a Sam LB, who can also shift inside and play the Mike if Perryman gets hurt again.  He can step down and play the edge, and he can play as a true off ball LB.  Not the greatest skills in coverage, but he's fast and physical, which is something we're lacking at the LB spot.  My only caveat here is that our DC and LB coach have formed some CRAZY talented LB corps without a single first round pick used (Smith formed the Broncos LB group that included Miller, Ware, Trevathan and Marshall, and then the Falcons current group of Jones, Campbell, and Beasley, while Bradley obviously built the KJ Wright, Bruce Irvin, Bobby Wagoner trio in Seattle, along with the Telvin Smith, Miles Jack, Poz).  They clearly have an eye for identifying talent at LB (or developing talent, one or the other), so I'd say we end up giving them free reign to pick whoever their guy is at LB (For some reason Christian Sam seems to really fit the mold of their guys this year).  So we'll see how that works out.

Erm, D, there were a number of 1st round picks (Miller, Ware - albeit not a pick made by the Broncos, Beasley, and Irvin) and high 2nd round picks (Posluszny, Jack, Wagner - 15th pick in the 2nd, Jones - 20th pick in the 2nd) used to form those LB corps...

22 minutes ago, The LBC said:

Erm, D, there were a number of 1st round picks (Miller, Ware - albeit not a pick made by the Broncos, Beasley, and Irvin) and high 2nd round picks (Posluszny, Jack, Wagner - 15th pick in the 2nd, Jones - 20th pick in the 2nd) used to form those LB corps...

Yeah it was probably my fault including those guys in there, but that's not really the point of my post.  That was just the pass rushers, which we have 2 1st round pass rushers of our own.  It was more to point out the amount of 3rd-5th round picks they've hit on, with Wright, Telvin, Campbell, as well as those 2nd round picks.  Either way they haven't really missed from the 2nd round on, which is really impressive, which is more of the point.  They've gone out and gotten production and really good play out of guys they grabbed in the mid rounds.

Archived