Steelers Listening to trade offers for Bryant

DudeWhat???

6 minutes ago, Yin-Yang said:

Garcon surprised in his time in San Fran, but he’ll also be a 32 year old receiver coming off a season ending neck injury.

Goodwin undoubtedly impressed in 2017, but has one year of productivity to his name. On top of that, he’s a small, one dimensional player. 

Martavis Bryant would come in and automatically be the best receiver on the team while having the size and speed to boot. Money isn’t really an issue with this squad either. 

I don’t see how the find themselves off the table for even inquiring. It’s not like they’re the Chargers or the Vikings at receiver.

I'm not worried about the neck injury and Garcon. We were 0-8 at the time. There really was no reason to keep throwing him out there. If we were in the playoff hunt, I don't think he's anywhere close to being on IR. The age is a little bit of a concern, but the style of his game, which is similar to what Fitz does now, kind of allows for him to play quality football at a high level into his 30's. 

The main thing is, I just don't view Bryant as being as good as apparently most of the other people do on this site. I mean, I think he's fine, but I don't think that he's "very good" or anything, and when you add headcase + last year of his deal, I just don't know why you'd give up the early mid round pick I suspect it would take. I think he and Goodwin would have a lot of overlap in what they do on the team, so you're value increase is pretty nominal if that, and Goodwin was utilized in several different ways that didn't make him quite as one dimensional as someone would suspect (obviously, he still has a primary use as a deep threat, but we used him over the middle a lot last year as well). I don't hate the idea of finding a little more depth in the receiving game for the 49ers, I just think that the team needs a different style and type of receiver than what Bryant is. 

14 minutes ago, Forge said:

I'm not worried about the neck injury and Garcon. We were 0-8 at the time. There really was no reason to keep throwing him out there. If we were in the playoff hunt, I don't think he's anywhere close to being on IR. The age is a little bit of a concern, but the style of his game, which is similar to what Fitz does now, kind of allows for him to play quality football at a high level into his 30's. 

The main thing is, I just don't view Bryant as being as good as apparently most of the other people do on this site. I mean, I think he's fine, but I don't think that he's "very good" or anything, and when you add headcase + last year of his deal, I just don't know why you'd give up the early mid round pick I suspect it would take. I think he and Goodwin would have a lot of overlap in what they do on the team, so you're value increase is pretty nominal if that, and Goodwin was utilized in several different ways that didn't make him quite as one dimensional as someone would suspect (obviously, he still has a primary use as a deep threat, but we used him over the middle a lot last year as well). I don't hate the idea of finding a little more depth in the receiving game for the 49ers, I just think that the team needs a different style and type of receiver than what Bryant is. 

Like many on here, you seem to laughably overrate draft picks, especially mid round picks.

Dont get me wrong, I fully respect if you view him as not being "Very good", but saying isnt worth an "early mid round pick"?    Are you saying you wouldnt give up an early 4th rounder for him?   Because if so, you are flat out delusional.     Most 4th rounders dont amount to much, if anything, and even if you arent super high on Bryant, he offers you far more than anything you are LIKELY to get in the 4th round.   And please dont attempt to make the "Antonio Brown/Tom Brady were drafted in the 6th" argument, because those are extreme exceptions, not the norm.

If you personally wouldnt trade for him because you think he doesnt offer much that Goodwin doesnt or because of his off field issues, thats perfectly fine.....but the fact is he is easily better than most players youre likely to find in the 4th round....where youre most likely to draft a bust or career backup/special teamer.  

3 minutes ago, FourThreeMafia said:

Like many on here, you seem to laughably overrate draft picks, especially mid round picks.

It's not just on here it's in the NFL front offices too. An average starter being traded for a 3rd round pick makes no sense because the odds of getting an average starter with a 3rd round pick aren't good at all. Still, it happens all of the time and even with later picks. Since just about everyone overrates the value of picks including those who can actually move them, they pretty much set the value of draft picks. Meaning most are right and we are wrong even though mathematically we are right.

32 minutes ago, FourThreeMafia said:

Dont get me wrong, I fully respect if you view him as not being "Very good", but saying isnt worth an "early mid round pick"?    Are you saying you wouldnt give up an early 4th rounder for him?   Because if so, you are flat out delusional.     Most 4th rounders dont amount to much, if anything, and even if you arent super high on Bryant, he offers you far more than anything you are LIKELY to get in the 4th round.   And please dont attempt to make the "Antonio Brown/Tom Brady were drafted in the 6th" argument, because those are extreme exceptions, not the norm.

If you personally wouldnt trade for him because you think he doesnt offer much that Goodwin doesnt or because of his off field issues, thats perfectly fine.....but the fact is he is easily better than most players youre likely to find in the 4th round....where youre most likely to draft a bust or career backup/special teamer.  

I like how overly aggressive this post is.  How you call me "delusional" while clearly not understanding the conversation (could be my fault through a lack of cohesive writing, though I don't think so, since the entire time I've been talking about the 49ers specifically, how I don't like Bryant as much as others apparently, and consider him a nominal improvement over Goodwin right now. I would have thought that it was clear that I'm referring to the 49ers, but whatever, I'll accept fault there), and then attempt to what, blow up some counter argument that you thought I was  going to make, when in fact, I had no intention of making at all because I'm not trying to win any sort of argument (spoiler, I don't care about the fantastic outlier selections of Brady / Brown and whoever else in the 6th round given the highly isolated nature of those selections)?

But keep calling people delusional, when really not having a full picture of what someone is saying. Seems to be a wonderful discussion tactic. 

34 minutes ago, Forge said:

Fitz also has much, much better hands and is a size mismatch in the slot. Similar styles, maybe, but Garcon doesn’t have more than a year left as a good receiver IMO. 

Other than that, it’s fine that you want to take caution regarding a receiver that could miss some serious time with another screw up. But the fact that he’d immediately be the best receiver on the team makes him worth a damn phone call. 

49 minutes ago, FourThreeMafia said:

It's not just the draft pick.  it's also the fact that Bryant will be seeking a large contract.  This is the last year of his deal and he's probably going to want to be paid like a #1 WR.  In addition the guy is one mistake away from probably being suspended indefinitely.

Honestly, I kind of wouldn't mind the Seahawks trading for Bryant.  He's a bigger WR, so he compliments Baldwin, Lockett and Richardson well.  

6 minutes ago, showtime said:

It's not just the draft pick.  it's also the fact that Bryant will be seeking a large contract.  This is the last year of his deal and he's probably going to want to be paid like a #1 WR.  In addition the guy is one mistake away from probably being suspended indefinitely.

Honestly, I kind of wouldn't mind the Seahawks trading for Bryant.  He's a bigger WR, so he compliments Baldwin, Lockett and Richardson well.  

Are the Seahawks even expected to bring Richardson back? 

I know they have a lot to consider this offseason cap-wise. 

Really love Richardson, especially as a #2 or #3 guy. Dude consistently makes some of the most contested catches you’ll see. 

53 minutes ago, Forge said:

I like how overly aggressive this post is.

I clearly ASKED if thats what you believed, because I wanted clarification.    I said if you believed Bryant wasnt worth an early 4th round pick, you were delusional....and I stand by that.

Thats not aggressive.  I explained why it was a silly notion IN GENERAL.

How you call me "delusional" while clearly not understanding the conversation (could be my fault through a lack of cohesive writing, though I don't think so, since the entire time I've been talking about the 49ers specifically, how I don't like Bryant as much as others apparently, and consider him a nominal improvement over Goodwin right now.

And I acknowledged that.

My comment was based largely off of this...

The main thing is, I just don't view Bryant as being as good as apparently most of the other people do on this site. I mean, I think he's fine, but I don't think that he's "very good" or anything, and when you add headcase + last year of his deal, I just don't know why you'd give up the early mid round pick I suspect it would take. 

Sorry, but you werent nearly as clear that you were referring JUST TO the 49ers as you think you were.

If youre just referring to the 49ers....so be it, but Bryant has proven talent that most 4th round picks simply arent going to ever give you.

Even if you think him and Goodwin "overlap", Bryant for a 4th would still VERY LIKELY give you more value than any player you draft with that 4th round pick.    

If you would rather spend that pick elsewhere, thats up to you....but it doesnt make what I said any less true.

I would have thought that it was clear that I'm referring to the 49ers, but whatever, I'll accept fault there), and then attempt to what, blow up some counter argument that you thought I was  going to make, when in fact, I had no intention of making at all because I'm not trying to win any sort of argument (spoiler, I don't care about the fantastic outlier selections of Brady / Brown and whoever else in the 6th round given the highly isolated nature of those selections)?

But keep calling people delusional, when really not having a full picture of what someone is saying. Seems to be a wonderful discussion tactic. 

If I knew were going to freak out over one word, I wouldve chose my words more carefully.      

How about "logically impaired"?    :ph34r: ;)

You keep claiming I dont understand the full picture that you were speaking of the 49ers, when I clearly acknowledged you were at least PARTLY referring to that....

If you personally wouldnt trade for him because you think he doesnt offer much that Goodwin doesnt or because of his off field issues, thats perfectly fine.....but the fact is he is easily better than most players youre likely to find in the 4th round

Bottom line....Bryant, even for 1 year, would very very very likely be a more worthwhile investment than your TYPICAL 4th rounder, and my overall point was, if you dont believe that to be true....you are delusional.

If thats not what you are saying, then Im not referring to you.

If that IS what you are saying....then I stand by what I said.

52 minutes ago, showtime said:

Im aware, but two things....

1) As I said, Bryant, even for one year, is LIKELY to provide you more value than your TYPICAL 4th rounder will in general.

2) The investment could pay off for many many more years to come.    If your team isnt open to the idea of possibly paying him, then it probably isnt worth the investment, but for a WR needy team that would be open to it....at the very least, he could be a gamebreaking WR that can take the top off of coverage and compliment a quality possession WR nicely.

Im not knocking anyone for not being interested (for whatever reason).   I just think its silly to say he isnt worth something like a 4th round pick (not saying YOU said that....just in general).

Personally, as a Steeler fan, I wouldnt trade him for anything less than an early THIRD rounder.....even if we only keep him one more year.      We are in win now mode and we are playing to win year to year until Ben retires.      MB could be invaluable this year.

34 minutes ago, FourThreeMafia said:

Im aware, but two things....

1) As I said, Bryant, even for one year, is LIKELY to provide you more value than your TYPICAL 4th rounder will in general.

2) The investment could pay off for many many more years to come.    If your team isnt open to the idea of possibly paying him, then it probably isnt worth the investment, but for a WR needy team that would be open to it....at the very least, he could be a gamebreaking WR that can take the top off of coverage and compliment a quality possession WR nicely.

Im not knocking anyone for not being interested (for whatever reason).   I just think its silly to say he isnt worth something like a 4th round pick (not saying YOU said that....just in general).

Personally, as a Steeler fan, I wouldnt trade him for anything less than an early THIRD rounder.....even if we only keep him one more year.      We are in win now mode and we are playing to win year to year until Ben retires.      MB could be invaluable this year.

Of course he’s worth a 4th round pick, heck he’s worth a first on talent and production on the field. The problem is he’s been Josh Gordon off the field. A smart GM wouldn’t trade anything more than a conditional pick for him.

21 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

Of course he’s worth a 4th round pick, heck he’s worth a first on talent and production on the field. The problem is he’s been Josh Gordon off the field. A smart GM wouldn’t trade anything more than a conditional pick for him.

I know that this isn't the point of your post and I'm just nit-picking but cmon now. Let's not get crazy here. ;)

Martavis Bryant in a Kyle Shannahan offense with Jimmy Garropolo throwing him the rock? I'm thinking Pro Bowl/All Pro career moving forward - Andre Johnson/Julio Jones like production. Bryant would be a machine in that system.

John Lynch needs to keep his foot on the pedal and get him ASAP. 

Archived