Kyle Murphy

Rodjahs12

Am I crazy for thinking this kid has a very good chance of being an upper echelon guard sooner rather than later? Every time I’ve seen him on the field I’ve been impressed by him and had him graded two full rounds higher as a prospect than where he eventually went in the 6th. Most of the talk has been about McCray emerging next year, but I think after Murphy got hurt he became an afterthought when he’s much more likely to be that guy IMO 

Murphy isn't really my guy but he has as good of a chance to take one of the guard spots as anyone on the roster if Evans isn't re-signed. Campen will have whoever is starting ready to play at least league average ball. If this year taught me anything it's that that man has more than earned his job title as OL coach.

I think some have suggested that Murphy's body type isn't ideal for guard, maybe more on the tall/longish end than the more squatty-strong frame that is theoretically more conducive to good leverage and pad level?  I have no idea, just something I've heard somebody suggest....

I’ve said it for a while now, but I’m not going to be surprised with a RG/RT of McCray and Murphy if Bulaga and Spriggs open on PUP or aren’t ready in any way. 

Id love them to be our G/T swing players, but they’re young and promising. It remains to be seen if they can hold it over a season, but I’m not shocked if one or both are holding those spots next year week 1.

2 hours ago, craig said:

I think some have suggested that Murphy's body type isn't ideal for guard, maybe more on the tall/longish end than the more squatty-strong frame that is theoretically more conducive to good leverage and pad level?  I have no idea, just something I've heard somebody suggest....

I don't know **** about offensive line play, but that's my take on Murphy. He looks normal at RT, but kick him inside and suddenly he reminds me of Beaker from the Muppets.

latest?cb=20120626193657

That said, the coaches seem to like him, so that's a good sign. I wouldn't be surprised if one day he becomes a regular starter.

30 minutes ago, spilltray said:

I definitely see him as more of a tackle.

Fast forward to the September opener...Bulaga might still be in rehab and one of Spriggs/Murphy will be at RT with the other being the swing tackle on Sundays

GB could look at another OT in the draft/FA, but I can't see them making too much of an investment there ( 4th or later) given the other needs and the guys already on the roster. Bakh added some serious mass to his body over the first couple of seasons, I hope Murphy can follow a similar trajectory in the weight room as part of his offseason rehab. ( dislocated knee cap) Reports suggest he'll be ready to roll in OTAs

Some smarter than me have definitely said he isn't suited to guard. He also seems to be too heavy footed for tackle. However I remember thinking he didn't fare too badly at right tackle in his limited time. Don't remember who he was playing against though. You can probably get by with him but may have to give him help more than you would like. 

27 minutes ago, HighCalebR said:

I think the height stuff is a little overrated. Murph bends pretty well and moves alright, going back to college he was able to get pretty low in his run blocks. 

Length is an asset on the edge but a liability in the middle. The defense uses different body types inside and outside too. It isn't impossible but he's definitely more physically suited to play on the edge.

Just now, spilltray said:

Length is an asset on the edge but a liability in the middle. The defense uses different body types inside and outside too. It isn't impossible but he's definitely more physically suited to play on the edge.

So you're not a fan of Andrew Norwell? Wouldn't take Mitch Morse? It's overrated. if they bend they can be fine.

Archived