Moving Touchback To Within The 20

the lone star

1.) Would moving the touchback to within the 20 (let's say the 15 or 10 yard line) give teams an incentive to boot it into the endzone more? This seems to be what the NFL wants.

2.) Would this be a good idea? 

With the way offenses can move the ball now, and with how defenses get excessively penalized, I can get down with starting within the 20. More touchbacks = less returns = less injuries.

Just food for thought.

Weak leg makes money. lol.

Honestly, I don't know.  It is natural for players to try to run for extra yards if they catch closer to 15 yards. It is also dangerous because the clash from gunners will make an impact immediately. It takes some time to get smarter.  A bunch of egoistical players we have.

au contraire there'd be more returns imo - esp on the kickoff where teams only have to lug it ten or fifteen yards to be better than the touchback alternative 

tbh i don't see the point of returning kickoffs from the end zone at all and teams still do it - but it would happen every kick with closer touchbacks yeah

The point was to reduce injuries on kickoffs. Moving touchback to 15 or 20 will mean that KRs will take it out of the end zone and more injuries will happen. So no NFL won't do this.

But to your point, basically no KRs should return a kick that qualifies for a touchback under the rules when the ball goes to the 25 yard line.

I’m not sure what the NFL is trying to do with kickoffs in general.

If they want to reduce the number of returns to protect players, just place the ball st the 25 after a score and be done with it.  I realize they lose what seems like 20 minutes of ad time on either side of the kickoff, but it kills the flow of the game when it’s mostly touchbacks.  Touchback = bad TV imo.

If they want to put the best product on the field, or keep kickoffs exciting, elimate the touchback, move the ball back to the 30, whatever you need to do to encourage returns.

Neither of these are likely to happen any time soon, but the former has a much better chance than the latter.

On 2/25/2018 at 11:26 PM, MathMan said:

1.) Would moving the touchback to within the 20 (let's say the 15 or 10 yard line) give teams an incentive to boot it into the endzone more?

Yes

No

I agree. Either change the rule back where they kick it off the same place they did 5 years ago and touchbacks to the 20 or leave it the same way. They changed it to prevent full speed collisions and if they make touchbacks to the 15 guys will just run it out more

On 2/25/2018 at 9:41 PM, the lone star said:

1.) Would moving the touchback to within the 20 (let's say the 15 or 10 yard line) give teams an incentive to boot it into the endzone more? This seems to be what the NFL wants.

With the way offenses can move the ball now, and with how defenses get excessively penalized, I can get down with starting within the 20. More touchbacks = less returns = less injuries.

Just food for thought.

1. Yes, the closer you get to the end zone the more worthwhile it is to just boot it to the endzone and not take any chances.

2.  No, at least if you care about kickoffs and a punter, kickers and that aspect of the game. I personally like special teams, and if you want to remove special teams the game looses part of its flavor.

A lot of injuries on kickoffs still occur on fair catches because only the returner knows what he’s going to do with it. Everybody else is already either at a full sprint or getting ready to block by the time the returner can fair catch a kick. 

Archived