8. Denzel Ward CB OSU 
  9. Roquan Smith LB UGA
  10. Calvin Ridley WR ALA
  11. Josh Jackson CB IOWA
  12. Marcus Davenport DE UTSA
  13. Ronald Jones RB USC
  14. Isaiah Wynn OG UGA
  15. Courtland Sutton WR SMU

I like it, and I'm with you on Landry. It would be ideal if we could trade down and get him, but wouldn't be too upset if he is the pick at #9 or #10. No question he needs to refine with his pass rushing skills though. 

I have a feeling either Barkley or Fitzpatrick will be available at our pick. Barkley is getting a lot of top 5 love, but I'm not sold he goes that high. 

3 hours ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

I like it, and I'm with you on Landry. It would be ideal if we could trade down and get him, but wouldn't be too upset if he is the pick at #9 or #10. No question he needs to refine with his pass rushing skills though. 

I have a feeling either Barkley or Fitzpatrick will be available at our pick. Barkley is getting a lot of top 5 love, but I'm not sold he goes that high. 

Landry is about the same size as Von Miller. Now I want to see how fast he is, what he times out to in the quickness tests, then watch him workout. I just haven't seen enough of him to have an opinion of how he plays, and do know that his stats were bad this year.

Just now, big9erfan said:

Landry is about the same size as Von Miller. Now I want to see how fast he is, what he times out to in the quickness tests, then watch him workout. I just haven't seen enough of him to have an opinion of how he plays, and do know that his stats were bad this year.

I should have added that at 9 or 10 I don't think we can afford a miss.  Anyone can be a miss but some guys just have more boom or bust potential in them.  Landry is one of those guys. We need a high quality pass rusher and he could turn out to be that. But Nelson, Ward and Smith seem to me "can't miss" types.  Each has pro bowl potential but even if they don't turn out to be that good I can't see any of those three as being less than a really solid starter ... and any of those 3 would improve our team for years to come.

1 minute ago, big9erfan said:

I've watched him a little, and I'll say that he has some good things going for him. Forge doesn't like him, I know, and he hasn't flashed enough to inspire confidence he can be a premiere pass rusher, but he does have some interesting tools. It all depends on the personality, in my opinion, on the work ethic, the coachability, and those are things we can't really quantify or qualify from our point of view. There is enough so that a GM could justify taking him, in my opinion. He needs work, but he has some very good tools. It would be a pretty big gamble at 9/10 still.

9 hours ago, rudyZ said:

I've watched him a little, and I'll say that he has some good things going for him. Forge doesn't like him, I know, and he hasn't flashed enough to inspire confidence he can be a premiere pass rusher, but he does have some interesting tools. It all depends on the personality, in my opinion, on the work ethic, the coachability, and those are things we can't really quantify or qualify from our point of view. There is enough so that a GM could justify taking him, in my opinion. He needs work, but he has some very good tools. It would be a pretty big gamble at 9/10 still.

It's not so much that I don't like him, I'm just on the low end of the range he's seen at. I definitely don't think he's top ten worthy. Second round is good to me. While I wouldn't love him in the 20s if we traded down,  I'd easily be ok with it. 

He's got good speed, great bend, love the low balance. But I think he's weak, doesn't convert speed to power well, is useless to the point of being detrimental against the run, and needs to learn to be a more complete pass rusher. He's lean and light and I think he's going to get pushed around from a pure hand in the dirt DE position. 

From what I've seen, he essentially does two things- runs around, and runs under. No major hand usage, every now and again sure, but nothing consistent. I think he's a guy that could have success rushing on the left side early on against heavy footed right tackles, but I think he'll struggle  against athletic left tackles.

He has the potential to be a stud, but I think he's a bigger project than most think. 

I agree that he's a project. If we were to pick him early, I'd sure hope he has the mental make-up to develop into a stud. I know nothing of his work ethic, motivation and love for the game. That's what can make him a top 15 pick in this draft. If he's just average in that department, I think he should be a third rounder, in that he wouldn't be any better than Corey Lemonier or Eli Harold. Guys with tools who never really develop their pass rushing abilities. 

But so much of it can be gained from technique. If he can work on his hands, then he can be an impact guy, in my opinion.

7 hours ago, rudyZ said:

I agree that he's a project. If we were to pick him early, I'd sure hope he has the mental make-up to develop into a stud. I know nothing of his work ethic, motivation and love for the game. That's what can make him a top 15 pick in this draft. If he's just average in that department, I think he should be a third rounder, in that he wouldn't be any better than Corey Lemonier or Eli Harold. Guys with tools who never really develop their pass rushing abilities. 

But so much of it can be gained from technique. If he can work on his hands, then he can be an impact guy, in my opinion.

It's probably a bit harsh, but having seen a couple of games from him now I agree with this and also what @Forge said. He really misses a lot of tackles and  has not that much to offer in beating the opposition tackle. A lot of them looked like studs against him, I'm not really impressed tbh.

(feel free to show me everything that's impressive about him ;))

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/26/2018 at 7:17 AM, J-ALL-DAY said:

Yes I am very high on him, I would love to trade back and still be able to land him, maybe trade back with Dallas at 19, he is exactly what we are looking for in a LEO and now that we have Sherman, Pass Rusher is our unanimous top need. It’s hard to find pass rushers so waiting till round 2 would be a mistake in my opinion. 

Archived