How Can We Improve the Packers Forum?

CWood21

Just now, Joe said:

Maybe I missed this somewhere, but where is the "like" button? I'm new here so I'm just trying to feel my way around.

To the very bottom right on the opposite side of the quote button of each post there's a football icon.  Click on the little gray football icon and you will have liked something. 

On 8/23/2017 at 1:25 PM, HorizontoZenith said:

To the very bottom right on the opposite side of the quote button of each post there's a football icon.  Click on the little gray football icon and you will have liked something. 

Odd. It isn't there...*shrug* oh well.

22 hours ago, Joe said:

Odd. It isn't there...*shrug* oh well.

"New members" aren't given like privileges that way members don't create an account for the sole purpose of liking their own posts.  Once you reach "member" status, you will receive those privileges.  Don't worry, you'll get there in no time.

I'm going to have to agree that trolls should not be allowed to continue.  Especially with so many new people / old lurkers showing up to post here.  It's painfully obvious that some people are trolls who aren't going to do anything but troll.  The reason people actually come here is because there aren't those trolls.  Go to the comments section of a place like PFT and it's no wonder those forums/comment boards don't have many people posting.  EVERYBODY is a troll. 

It's one thing to be pessimistic, it's a completely different thing to be nothing but pessimistic, especially in repeated examples.  If the only thing I said on this site was what I've said about Kyler Fackrell, I should be banned.  Period.  But 90% of my Fackrell hate is tongue-in-cheek (I've called him too nice to be a pass rusher, etc).  I also discuss other things in other subforums.

If there's somebody here who has a username specifically hating on one player, and if that user only comes into one forum to complain about that one player and does nothing else, what good are they to a site?  All it's going to do is bother people. 

I'm not trying to crap on this site because obviously I like this site, but I don't think the ignore feature is good enough if this site wants to return to its glory days.  The ignore feature would ABSOLUTELY be enough if ignore truly meant ignore, but it doesn't.  You can still see that people you ignore are posting.  So when in a preseason game somebody like, oh, I don't know, Spriggs makes a mistake, and then you see... This is just an example here, not based on anything or anybody, but when you see that somebody with a username of "SpriggsSucks" posts in the thread, you see that he posted in the thread right after Spriggs made a mistake, and that's the only thing you ever see from him.

We can see that Spriggs had a bad play.  We don't need a reminder from somebody every single time.  It's like in real life when you fall into a puddle and somebody says, "You're all wet," or the absolute worst... When you drop a plate full of food when you're a kid and without giving you five seconds to process it, your parent shouts, "Clean it up!" 

These types of constant trolling shouldn't be tolerated.  People need to be warned/face repercussions for only saying the exact same thing ten thousand different ways.  Somebody saying, "AJ Hawk sucks," or "Capers sucks," or "Spriggs sucks" adds nothing new and actually discourages conversation rather than encourages it. 

So my suggestion is that you either take a harsher stance on obvious trolls, or change the ignore feature (if possible) to make ignored people COMPLETELY disappear. 

Obviously, the spriggsistrash new member was here to troll and he's been dealt with by the moderators.   If you want to discuss specific members who you think are only here to troll, PM a mod.

As for dealing with trolls, we have always been more strict on trolls than any other forum or social media platform.   We've banned 1000s of trolls and will continue to ban troll accounts.    

The bigger problem is that members are way too quick to yell troll when even the slightest negative thing is said about their favorite team.  When a member hears an opinion they don't like,  they just start yelling 'troll'.   This ends up with topic after topic getting derailed by arguments of who is trolling.  This also makes it harder to find the real trolls as they get buried under all the 'troll' cries.   

As you said with your Kyler Fackrell example,  we can't ban everyone who has a negative opinion on a player or team.  It takes some time to determine if the member is a troll.   Give the mods time to watch a member and see their intentions without the constant cries of 'you're a troll' at every negative post.    If you suspect a member is a troll, send a PM to your mod, put the member on ignore, and move on.   If they are here just to troll, they will get banned.  

I think this has been brought up before, but can we go back to having more active threads?  I don't get on here as much anymore, but still come here first for all Packer related news.  I feel like the Odom claim and the Elliot trade deserve their own threads.  It's easier than trying to dig up everyone's thoughts and reactions in a 25 page thread.  

1 hour ago, LacyIsGood said:

I think this has been brought up before, but can we go back to having more active threads?  I don't get on here as much anymore, but still come here first for all Packer related news.  I feel like the Odom claim and the Elliot trade deserve their own threads. 

So.... why don't you start some Odom/Elliot threads ? Be the change you wanna see around here.

(I think the mods prefer more threads too)

I guess I see a bit of a difference with some of the trolling.  To me, the game day thread is immediate reactions.  It is garbage.  Save the analysis for a good thread or post game.  Things happen so fast, we don't really have time to read or write a 5 paragraph analysis.  There should be a lot of "NO! ______!" and "Great catch!" and "Let's go!" and "______ sucks!" I know others were real bugged by the Spriggs guy, but to me it was pretty funny.  It was an easily ignored joke, and as far as I know, only in the game day thread.  And that guy wasn't saying anything that the rest of us weren't, he just created a user name specifically for it.

But anyway... Hows about that name change thing?

53 minutes ago, Shanedorf said:

So.... why don't you start some Odom/Elliot threads ? Be the change you wanna see around here.

(I think the mods prefer more threads too)

Absolutely.  Threads that shouldn't be made end up dying on their own.  I'll try my best to split the posts, but I can't get them all.  It's up to you start threads with transactions.

Archived