Outside the box pre combine mock

Dubz41

Re-Sign Morgan Burnett

Renegotiate Jorday Nelson

Sign FAs- Aaron Colvin and Trent Murphy  (Colvin will start with King and Randall; Murphy gives us our #3 pass rusher)

TRADE: Clinton-Dix for Martavius Bryant  (I don't think BGute was ever on board with HaHa, no link available!)tough decisions await if you're going to correct some of the personnel snafus.  Bryant already has a chip on his shoulder and would fit nicely across from DAdams with Jordy in the slot.

#1-  S  Derwin James.  Difference maker.  Pettine's Swiss army knife for the defense.

#2-  OLB  Hercules Mata-afa.  Just for his name alone.  Non stop motor, played out of position in college. 

#3-  C/G  Frank Ragnow-  Would contend for RG immediately and provide quality depth at center. Quit protecting ARod with UDFAs.

#4-  WR  Deontay Burnett  Time for some 'sudden' youth at the WR spot.

#4b- CB  Holton Hill  Depth and competition.  Tall physical CB. Would've gone higher except for character red flag.

#5-  TE  Durham Smythe   Would be talked about more if he had a better college QB.  Solid in all phases.

#5a-  Traded to Baltimore for TE Maxx Williams.  Touted coming out of college, buried on Raven's depth chart. Still on rookie contract.

#5b-  DL  Kentavius Street  Might not be here if he blows up the combine.  Just throwing stuff at the wall now.

The rest of the picks will hopefully be bundled somehow to move up at different spots in the draft. 

Sorry- no pictures.

Trade a former second team all-pro safety who had a down year for a receiver who has had multiple suspensions, including a year long suspension, and is one substance abuse violation away from a Josh Gordon style absence from the game?  I do not think that is a good move. 

I'm a little bit shocked about the interest in Bryant at all.  In addition to his suspensions, he has had a downward spiral in effectiveness.  8 to 6 to 3 touchdowns.  21.1 to 15. to 12.1 yards per reception. 

In relation to HaHa, it is stealing from our weakest (defense) to improve our strength (passing game).  That is not a sustainable business model.  It also makes us older as a team. 

Also, Dubz, were you or were you not the one who said you didn't want Peters because he was a quitter?  Bryant literally demanded a trade.  That's literally quitting on his team. 

I kind of take each player as an individual if possible.  Peters? Never liked him, uber talented, never liked him.  Just that.

Bryant's biggest question is his love of weed.  After his trade demand he settled down for the rest of the year and kept his mouth shut. I kind of like young players that seem to learn from their mistakes.

Plus, this is just a mock draft.  Not proposing a 'business' model.  Just a mock draft, playing with an unsubstantiated rumor.

Asking for a trade is 'literally' quitting? C'mon man, settle down.

Bryant's a turd. Huge no thanks to that trade. I can get an equal WR free on compensation in FA. We've struggled on defense since the SB, so we trade a guy who has the potential to be our best defensive player for a 3rd WR? I just don't get it at all.

Then by trading HHCD now Burnett is in your traditional nickel backer role, Jones at SS and James is forced to play the high safety, which is taking his skillset and cutting it in half.

Let Burnett go, sign a WR (unless you're keeping Cobb) or another defensive FA and let HHCD, Jones and James be the safeties. Rest of the draft is pretty solid!

Just now, Dubz41 said:

Asking for a trade is 'literally' quitting? C'mon man, settle down.

Compared to you calling Peters a quitter for leaving to the locker room when he thought he had been disqualified from the game, yes.  No need to start a big argument, but this is true.  Demanding a trade from a team is more indicative of quitting on your team than leaving to the locker room when you thought you were disqualified from a game.  One is leaving a game, one is telling your team you do not want to be on that team anymore. 

Bryant has a longer list of personality concerns than Peters does.  It's your choice whether or not you like him less, and I can't change that.  Just pointing it out. 

I love the idea of adding Bryant given his upside (he's got as much as any player in the NFL IMO given his size and speed) but not at the price of HHCD.  While HHCD played terrible last year, that would be selling really low for a guy who's one year removed from playing at an all pro level. 

1 hour ago, Packerraymond said:

Bryant's also one failed test away from being out of the league. That makes his value close to zero to me. Already had his 4 game and 1 year suspension.

I tend to agree.....but guys like Bryant and the other "I'm really talented but for alot of reasons feel its necessary to jeopardize my short NFL career" - Josh Gordon - would be just what we need. Big - fast guys that open up the field and dictate coverages.

IMO - I thought Bryant MADE the Steelers offense. Now - any team with AB isnt chopped liver - but when Bryant showed up and BB starting heaving 50-60 yard TD passes - that field got a whole lot bigger and difficult to cover. I dont think his "replacement" #19 (Sugar or something or other.....) is that far off talent-wise - hence, Bryants on the cutting block.

Would love to have him - but cheap. His potential "Adios NFL" with another whiff of dope scares the hell out of me.

3 minutes ago, Leader said:

I tend to agree.....but guys like Bryant and the other "I'm really talented but for alot of reasons feel its necessary to jeopardize my short NFL career" - Josh Gordon - would be just what we need. Big - fast guys that open up the field and dictate coverages.

IMO - I thought Bryant MADE the Steelers offense. Now - any team with AB isnt chopped liver - but when Bryant showed up and BB starting heaving 50-60 yard TD passes - that field got a whole lot bigger and difficult to cover. I dont think his "replacement" #19 (Sugar or something or other.....) is that far off talent-wise - hence, Bryants on the cutting block.

Would love to have him - but cheap. His potential "Adios NFL" with another whiff of dope scares the hell out of me.

I'd trade one of the 5th round comps for him, he's a turd but as you said, he's pretty damn good. He's also a FA after this season so odds are he's a rental. I can't see GB being the team that gives him a long term deal with that risk, while someone else will.

29 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

I'd trade one of the 5th round comps for him, he's a turd but as you said, he's pretty damn good. He's also a FA after this season so odds are he's a rental. I can't see GB being the team that gives him a long term deal with that risk, while someone else will.

Agree - but also dont think a 5th would snag him. Not unless PIT is brain dead. He might be a headache and one joint away from being an Insurance Salesman - but he's your headache now and you really DONT have to move him till 2019.

Just now, Leader said:

Agree - but also dont think a 5th would snag him. Not unless PIT is brain dead. He might be a headache and one joint away from being an Insurance Salesman - but he's your headache now and you really DONT have to move him till 2019.

Marcus Peters just got traded for a 4th and a year later 2nd round pick because he had a temper tantrum and demanded a trade.  Bryant has had two suspensions (3?), demanded a trade and has had progressively worse seasons as a pro while Peters is an elite player.  A 4th round pick is probably the highest anybody will give for Bryant, so I could absolutely see a 5th being enough. 

There was more there in the post than just the one line about the trade.  If you don't like the trade, fine. Then I wouldn't sign Burnett and the draft remains the same.  Unless we want to obsess on the trade some more. Maybe it needs its own thread.

2 hours ago, NormSizedMidget said:

You can give a late pick for him but HHCD is just too much

I agree with him, late pick only, but even unsure I would do that.  Your lucky you put that trade in your mock, that's probably why nobody is screaming about no Edge Rusher.  Thanks for your mock.

Archived