Draft Rumors

goldfishwars

7 minutes ago, cddolphin said:

I get that. But even if 1.04 becomes let's say a 2nd or 3rd round pick in 2020, it'd be worth getting a franchise QB. It's essentially doubling down on the risk, though, for a home run swing.

The problem is there are only so many snaps and reps to go around.  Remember Tyrod is there for 2018.   The Browns can really only commit to 1 guy.   Development takes time but also needs a commitment of practice time.    Working with the 1’s.  

Its why opportunity cost matters with team decisions.  Why I hated JC being signed by DEN last year.  Fewer reps for Booker and rookie D-Henderson.   Same applies even more for QBOTF.  

When you have a starter stopgap QB when it comes to QBOTF...gpraJ.gif

18 minutes ago, cddolphin said:

I mean, would taking two QBs be the dumbest thing? Not like they couldn't flip the one who "loses the competition" for another pick in a year or two or three.

I have advocated for the concept before, just not at 1 and 4. Too much I don't like about that. 

One, your loser doesn't have the value you invested in him even if you were to trade him after the very first preseason. So there's a loss of value there. largely unimportant, I will concede, but it's there. There's also no guarantee that you can flip him, and even less that you can flip him for anything of substance. I also don't think that there's a lot of upward trade potential here. 

Two, there no guarantee that either is the franchise quarterback you are looking for. Do you enhance the odds? Sure, but that's still no guarantee. What happens if they are both sort of meh and you just end up with a long term quarterback battle? I also have a problem with potentially stunting their growth. We know that the starter gets the majority of reps during the season...how are these kids growing if you actually have to divide up second team reps, which are already small enough? I worry there is an issue with halting their development. Tyrod is still the guy right now in Cleveland. 

At #4, you're giving up an elite prospect in this draft. We just saw a super bowl won by Nick Foles - there is merit to building a complete team and not just focusing on having the all pro quarterback. The best of this quarterback bunch could be marginally okay at the next level and it wouldn't be completely surprising. Sure, there's a chance that elite prospect doesn't work out, but I Like the odds that he will more so than whatever pick I'm getting back for the loser of my competition (if I'm able to trade him at all).  

Just now, typecast said:

I support that trade!

I don't...that means McGlinchey at 9. Our team is probably worse now. I like the value of Brown for sure...that's about what I wanted...he's really pretty good, and he's fantastic in pass protection. It was clear that we didn't love him though. 

Just now, Forge said:

God...McGlinchey is going to happen. 

Good value for the 49ers, that's what I wanted...and thats a high second rounder...but man, McGlinchey at 9 is going to hurt....

McGlinchey-Key is going to happen and our fanbase is likely to melt down.

3 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

For 1 year?   Omg Elway must be on the sauce to do that. 

In fairness...he's super good and he's young and a 3 year starter (one year older than McGlinchey I believe). I get it. I didn't want to trade him unless we got a 2 in return...though admittedly, never thought it would be a second that high....

I'd guess that a pick is coming back to you guys. Maybe our 4th? 

Archived