Draft Rumors

goldfishwars

13 minutes ago, MD4L said:

After his fights with Michael Crabtree (are you a Crabtree fan?) what has Talib done to be regarded as a "crap human being?"

http://www.espn.com/nfl/news/story?id=6599193

http://www.tbo.com/sports/bucs/bucs-talib-charged-with-battery-on-cab-driver-83752

Plus he shot himself with a gun while drunk, shot at his sister/girlfriends boyfriend (can't remember which 1), and is always causing problems on the field. I don't give a damn about Crabtree either, but what Talib did was a punk move. He's definitely a punk. Unless this is the most misunderstood person ever, I think it's safe to say he sucks as a functioning member of society.

First...Talib is not a good human being.  Great player, yes.  Human being, no.  But let's face it, that's not the real Q.   Is he still able to maintain his elite level of play next year?   Not sure, but he's not dropped off yet.  Still, that's the risk, and it's real.

But, his 11M tag is iffy for us given how our team is built - Cousins or no Cousins, I think he's gone.   Everyone knows it.   So we're not getting a lot for him, not nearly as with face value.

Having said that, the issue with him and CLE is how much the new GM wants to upgrade CB, and who will want to sign with him...and how much he disregards $ value.    The last part is key.  While Dorsey did a very strong job of accumulating talent in the draft, when it came to cap management, let's face it, he wasn't good there.   He routinely judges talent on an absolute basis without considering the cap implications/value.   I mean, he was willing to give up 2.1 to get Alex Smith at 17M for 1 year, so it's not like he's suddenly changed his stripes, either.

I'd be the first to say that Sashi Brown would never dream of trading for Talib.   Don't discount Dorsey's history here.  He's really solid in draft history, but his willingness to disregard cap health and value acquisitions plays in here.

1 hour ago, Forge said:

Crabs is a diva...has never really done anything that would suggest he's a subpar human being. 

Why are people so concerned with the "type of human being" a player is? A lot of these dudes are messed up and come from messed up situations, why act brand new when things occur? Coaches, Scouts and GMs know, so should we.

1 hour ago, MSURacerDT55 said:

Why are people so concerned with the "type of human being" a player is? A lot of these dudes are messed up and come from messed up situations, why act brand new when things occur? Coaches, Scouts and GMs know, so should we.

I don't want a bunch of scumbags on my team. Don't you coach? Do you want to surround yourself with a bunch of social cripples? There are plenty of non-scumbags to bring in that aren't 32 years old with fat cap numbers.

I'm down for 1-2 scumbags if they're at least young and moldable. I'm not bringing in a 32 year old headache no matter how good he is unless he plays QB.

I have one pretty rigid rule when it comes to GM Philosophy: Don't bring in players 30+ years of age unless they throw passes. If I were a GM, I would never target a player over 30 unless they were home-grown guys that I wanted to keep in my locker room. Trading assets for a 30+ year old moron? No-brainer to shut that down immediately.

Talib has no trade value. Everyone knows he's going to be cut by Denver and nobody's going to be devastated if they miss out on acquiring him anyways.

7 minutes ago, BleedTheClock said:

If I were a GM, I would never target a player over 30 unless they were home-grown guys that I wanted to keep in my locker room.

Like anything else, there are examples on both ends of the spectrum - but there are teams that went on SB runs because of the veterans they brought in. Not sure I’d be too rigid on this one. 

Unless you were talking about trades specifically, then that’s quite different.

Just now, Yin-Yang said:

Like anything else, there are examples on both ends of the spectrum - but there are teams that went on SB runs because of the veterans they brought in. Not sure I’d be too rigid on this one. 

Unless you were talking about trades specifically, then that’s quite different.

Nah in general is what I meant.

For every great 30+ year old player that's been signed, there are 10 more that did nothing except take playing time away from young guys only to be cut halfway through their contracts.

I'm a hardcore ageist.

2 minutes ago, BleedTheClock said:

Nah in general is what I meant.

For every great 30+ year old player that's been signed, there are 10 more that did nothing except take playing time away from young guys only to be cut halfway through their contracts.

I'm a hardcore ageist.

I guess, but you could say that about almost anything. 

“For every QB taken beyond the first round, there’s 10 that bust.” It’s the nature of the league that there’s more failure than success overall, I think. 

Dont have a problem with that being your way of doing things, just thought I’d point out how some vets have fueled some SB teams. Or if not SB teams, they rejuvenate others (like Calais Campbell this year, for example).

3 minutes ago, howru8888 said:

I'll take 53 assholes if it means i'll be winning the super bowl.

When does that happen though?

53 assholes lead to locker room issues, off the field issues, poor leadership, etc.

Like most things in life, it take a diverse group of talents and personalities to accomplish things.

2 hours ago, BleedTheClock said:

I don't want a bunch of scumbags on my team. Don't you coach? Do you want to surround yourself with a bunch of social cripples? There are plenty of non-scumbags to bring in that aren't 32 years old with fat cap numbers.

I'm down for 1-2 scumbags if they're at least young and moldable. I'm not bringing in a 32 year old headache no matter how good he is unless he plays QB.

I have one pretty rigid rule when it comes to GM Philosophy: Don't bring in players 30+ years of age unless they throw passes. If I were a GM, I would never target a player over 30 unless they were home-grown guys that I wanted to keep in my locker room. Trading assets for a 30+ year old moron? No-brainer to shut that down immediately.

Talib has no trade value. Everyone knows he's going to be cut by Denver and nobody's going to be devastated if they miss out on acquiring him anyways.

I personally am speaking from the perspective of a fan, Im not concerned with what type of human being these guys are, just if they can perform the task they've been paid to do. I don't freak out or get bent out of shape when guys do things because that's what a lot of the players are, messed up, some mature and get their act together, some dont. Part of the business 

2 hours ago, howru8888 said:

I'll take 53 assholes if it means i'll be winning the super bowl.

You won't be winning the Super Bowl. I don't want a team of choir boys, but you need the right culture. If you have 53 problem children on your team, you're not going to have that. You need leaders in the locker-room who will hold guys accountable. You need choir boys to keep the peace. And you need some a-holes to bring edge to the team. It's all about finding the right balance. But when you don't have that balance, you're going to have a toxic locker-room with guys slacking off on the field. I know because it happened to the Rams in 2016.

Archived