Draft Rumors

goldfishwars

2 minutes ago, goldfishwars said:

I honestly think the Giants are more interested in selling the pick at 2 than taking a QB. 

They're not in a good position to sell the pick IMO. The two teams people expect to move up (Den/NYJ) aren't going to lose out on QB's if they don't trade up. And if the Jets wanted to leapfrog Denver, they could just do so at pick 3 or 4 for significantly less. Especially the Colts, who would be thrilled to move back to the 5/6 slot IMO.

I don't see the #2 pick having a lot of interest for what it'll likely cost. Maybe I'm wrong, but I think the Giants stay put and take Josh Rosen.

5 minutes ago, BleedTheClock said:

They're not in a good position to sell the pick IMO. The two teams people expect to move up (Den/NYJ) aren't going to lose out on QB's if they don't trade up. And if the Jets wanted to leapfrog Denver, they could just do so at pick 3 or 4 for significantly less. Especially the Colts, who would be thrilled to move back to the 5/6 slot IMO.

I don't see the #2 pick having a lot of interest for what it'll likely cost. Maybe I'm wrong, but I think the Giants stay put and take Josh Rosen.

Don't disagree, but I don't see what pushing this 'we're happy with Eli' narrative does for them other than put an advert on that pick. They've picked the wrong year to expect teams to sell the house in a stacked class right at the top, but there we go. Perhaps they're just covering all bases and seeing what kind of market is out there.  

Agreed on Rosen, that feels like a great fit. 

As a Browns fan, I'm hoping that these QB's begin to separate, but all I've seen is a closing gap. Darnold and Rosen were once firmly 1 & 2, but Allen and Mayfield have quickly closed that gap. All four are so different too. And then Lamar Jackson is in the tier right behind them, but the off-season hasn't made me sour on him at all.

Usually as the process moves along I drop grades on people. This year seems like the opposite. My thought that this class was bleh seems to look more and more like a bad take as I watch more film and hear more from the draft community.

I guess the thing about the QBs is that while Big Draft (and also Draft twitter to a lesser degree) wants to keep all the names in consideration, actual NFL teams may have wildly divergent opinions on QBs.  It wouldn't surprise me if Darnold, Allen, Jackson, Rosen, and Mayfield are QB1 on at least one team's board, while another team just has disqualified each of the above for whatever reason.

So the Giants just need there to be a team who values 2 QBs more than all others, one of which goes to Cleveland at 1.

1 minute ago, CWood21 said:

Does this remind anyone of the Marcus Mariota/Titans rumors a few years ago?

Who has enough ammo this year to give them what they want?

Maybe SF? Because I dont think they want future picks they need stuff now 

1 minute ago, brownie man said:

Who has enough ammo this year to give them what they want?

Maybe SF? Because I dont think they want future picks they need stuff now 

I think the bigger question is who are they trying to dangle as their pick?  Is it Barkley, one of the QBs, or someone else?  Assuming Cleveland takes one of the QBs, you'll have the choice of any of the other players.  Would New York be interested in jumping Denver if they have a preference at QB?  Probably.  But it's a HELL of a lot cheaper to negotiate with Cleveland at 4 than New York at 2.  Obviously, you run the risk that your guy gets snatched up before then.

6 hours ago, BleedTheClock said:

Jags gonna trade up so they can keep running the ball with Fournette and Barkley.

13 hours ago, PossibleCabbage said:

I guess the thing about the QBs is that while Big Draft (and also Draft twitter to a lesser degree) wants to keep all the names in consideration, actual NFL teams may have wildly divergent opinions on QBs.  It wouldn't surprise me if Darnold, Allen, Jackson, Rosen, and Mayfield are QB1 on at least one team's board, while another team just has disqualified each of the above for whatever reason.

So the Giants just need there to be a team who values 2 QBs more than all others, one of which goes to Cleveland at 1.

Entirely agree with this. There are teams that will have crosses through Rosen for medicals, Mayfield won't meet size criteria for some, Jackson might not either. I'd be surprised if people had Allen or Darnold off the board entirely, I could see teams ranking them 5th.

13 hours ago, PossibleCabbage said:

Yeah.  Absolutely this is going to be a big factor in how things shake out at the top of this draft, and in what sort of "value" a team like NYG could potentially extract from someone looking to move up.

This isn't a draft where it appears there are 2 clear cut obvious prize QBs.  Rankings are absolutely all over the board on these guys, with all manner of combinations between Darnold/Rosen/Allen/Mayfield/Jackson.  And i get the distinct impression it's not just minor tweaking from one team/list to another.

10 hours ago, goldfishwars said:

This just illustrates it.  Reportedly some teams have Jackson as a potential WR and wanted to see those drills from him, while at least one other team has him the #2 Quarterback on their board.  I have little doubts it's at least somewhat the same with all 4 of the rest of these "top" guys.  They all have franchise QB upside if it works, but they all come with some serious questionmarks and things that different teams may well see as major red flags.

I think you've got 3 different guys who could very plausibly be QB1 on at least a few boards...or much much lower on others.  And then you've got 5 guys who could all very conceivably be QB2 on at least a few boards...while right off, or on a completely different position board entirely for others.  It's just a highly polarizing collection of QBs this year.  All in wildly different flavours, with each different team having strong preferences for one flavour or the other.

So all NYG really need to peddle that #2 Pick, is for someone's #1QB to still be available...and they should be able to drum up plenty of interest, if that's their intent.

Archived