Draft Rumors

goldfishwars

33 minutes ago, Teen Girl Squad said:

Doing "more work" on a prospect right now seems like he heard a substantial rumor than random happenstance. Interesting to see if he sneaks into late round 1.

Quite, I like DJ a lot and there's no reason to believe he's being untruthful. The timing looks a little like he's caught onto some 1st round interest. 

5 hours ago, Superman(DH23) said:

So the long awaited Soul & Science just aired.  You have to really pay close attention to the wording but here is the tale of the tape

Load to Release :

Allen : .38 secs (on par with Brady)

Darnold : .44 secs ( faster than Winston & Carr)

Release Velocity:

Allen:  74.3 mph

Darnold: avg 52 mph

Velocity on the run:

Allen: 58 mph

Darnold: 45mph (peak)

Side note of the 4 QBs featured so far only 1 has had 1 very specific drill featured which is also an accuracy test.  Hit an 8 ft crossbar from 35 yards on 1 attempt.  We can only assume that they are only showing the successful attempts.  The only qb shown so far...Josh Allen.  

What does it all mean?  Well imo the release concerns for Darnold are very real. In the Mason Rudolph episode they mentioned that an NFL cb closes about 1 foot per .01 sec.  That means the window is a lot tighter for Darnold than the NFL average (.40).  The velocity is also a concern.  52 mph is very average in the NFL.  Doesnt mean that he cant succeed, but its definitely a concern.  On the plus side for Darnold they did mention that his footwork showed that he is always in balance.  

Honestly this just furthers my concerns around Darnold.  Im already doubting him bc of the ball security issues add in a slow release and an average arm and i dont see a top 5 pick.

Watching the Darnold snippet, i'm not even sure that fully reflects the concern with his delivery.  The way it looked on screen, and the way they measure it from "load" (in addition to being a controlled situation) kinda cuts out the numerous instances where in-game Darnold has a tendency to "pre-load", which then effectively becomes at least a peripheral part of his release time.  But a component that isn't really included in that delivery time figure.  It's a big part of my concern with Darnold's throwing motion, and i think where his "elongated motion" and some of the "fumble problems" are related.  The "throw on the run" bit, i thought actually saw a bit more of that element peeking through, where he drops the ball significantly almost down to his hip while "loading".  That's more the concern to me.  The rest of the motion isn't "pretty", but that's fine - plenty of successful "ugly throwers".  It's the pre-load/windup element in game that i don't like.

2 hours ago, goldfishwars said:

Quite, I like DJ a lot and there's no reason to believe he's being untruthful. The timing looks a little like he's caught onto some 1st round interest. 

I really wouldn't be surprised if Ragnow went 1st round.  Before his injury, it certainly felt like he was building that kind of stock.  As long as the injury is behind him, i don't see why not...

5 hours ago, goldfishwars said:

This is 100x too dramatic. Between stuff like this, and the weirdly reverential Greg Cosell love that always comes around this time of year reminds me how much we take not only the draft, but sports in general, way too seriously.

35 minutes ago, Rich7sena said:

This is 100x too dramatic. Between stuff like this, and the weirdly reverential Greg Cosell love that always comes around this time of year reminds me how much we take not only the draft, but sports in general, way too seriously.

Most 95% of the players drafted every year won't be remembered. 

2 minutes ago, bomont said:

Not buying that for 2 seconds.  

1 sec? 

Like I said b4 - either it’s lying season (to induce the Jets to move up and give up something huge for Mayfield), or the homeless dude got to Haslem...again. 

8 hours ago, Teen Girl Squad said:

Doing "more work" on a prospect right now seems like he heard a substantial rumor than random happenstance. Interesting to see if he sneaks into late round 1.

In the comments he mentions that the reason he's doing it is because a scout told him he was wrong on Ragnow and that during the Auburn game he was hurt (Trying to play through an ankle sprain I believe).  DJ admitted he needed to do more analysis having found that out.  Which makes sense...

Archived