Draft Rumors

goldfishwars

Just now, Rich7sena said:

You're intentionally misrepresenting my argument. My original claim:

Your exception when public family meddling wasn't an explicit problem happens to involve a father who was a starting quarterback in the NFL. If you can't see the significance of that distinction, then there's no need to discuss further.

By the way I am against Archie meddling as much as he did in Eli's pre-draft process.

No, I'm adding counterpoints to people only posting examples of players who didn't pan out. You're trying to distinguish those examples because you want to try and create a correlation between family meddling and busts.

15 minutes ago, broncos67 said:

One thing that's been floated by Denver media...if the Broncos do land a QB in free agency, they would be open to moving back to accumulate more picks.

What do you think the chances are they'd move back into the 20's if it meant two 1st this year and more?

I am hoping they land Cousins and the Giants take Barkley so that Rosen may be there at 5.

On 2/27/2018 at 1:49 PM, The LBC said:

Not to mention that unless the player is majorly amenable to just signing whatever is put in front of him in good faith, a lack of understanding of the contracting process or of dealing with contracts and their structure in general could severely slow the signing process as they gain that familiarity and comfort.  And when you're talking about QB's in particular, team's want them in the building and on the practice field ASAP.

Also, as I'm sure you were alluding to in your post, agents usually front a fair amount of money for their clients that is used in the draft process to pay trainers/coaches and other such stuffs (on-field as well as interview).  Agents, and more importantly agencies, also have whole staffs working for them, that's more people to do the minutia work like coordinating and scheduling flights/hotels for private workouts and the like.

I think when looking at why there may be the concern, it's also a case of not just familiarity (all teams have relationships in some capacity with all talent agencies), but also of specifically who Lamar has representing him if not an agent.  His mother has been steering his football career since he was 8.  Now I'm not saying that she is or even if she is that it automatically makes it a bad thing, but Felicia Jones' situation gives off a massive odor of Show Parent (the parent who was an performer/singer/actor or in this case athlete herself who never quite made it or got their big break so they're bound and determined to steer their child to getting that break they didn't by hook or crook).

Worthwhile read on her: http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/17949555/louisville-cardinals-quarterback-lamar-jackson-first-trainer-was-mother

These are great points about why a kid's mother representing them rather than an agent, can be a concern for teams.  

It's also about the money too (it's always about the money).  Part of that "full service" from a reputable agency, is in knowing that they're going to recommend professional financial management as well (like Spencer Strasmore of ASM Wealth Management for example).  When you're about to hand a guy millions and millions of dollars and potentially make them the face of your franchise (like Lamar Jackson who is going to be a Top-60 pick at worst)...you want to know that this money isn't just going to go anywhere.  You want to know that this kid is going to be financially secure and stable, and isn't going to develop weird financial liabilities through shady business dealings.  You don't need the distraction of financial shenanigans going on behind the scenes in your potential starting NFL quarterback.  No different than when someone wins the lottery, and ends up bankrupt shortly thereafter and people wonder "how???".  It happens.  You want to make sure the kid you're about to hand a winning lottery ticket to, has the people in place around them to handle their influx of wealth.

But it really is also just about pausing to make sure that you're not going to have some dumb situation on your hands where this kid's mommy is going to be "guiding" things, where your professional coaching staff are trying to accomplish something with the player.  Especially with a very raw player like Jackson who is indeed, going to need some substantial quarterback coaching if he's ever going to evolve into a polished, reliable pocket passer at the NFL level you can build a franchise around, to go along with his obvious natural athletic gifts.

On 2/27/2018 at 9:17 PM, jrry32 said:

Just a hire a lawyer for a set fee. You pay the lawyer a few thousands bucks to help you deal with the contract, and you don't pay an agent hundreds of thousands to millions of bucks to do nothing.

I was going to say, not hiring an agent isn't necessarily a bad thing if you hire a lawyer to do the contract. Yes he'll miss out on potentially being able to go to certain facilities to train or maybe not even learn about potentially good facilities where he can train, but he's Lamar Jackson. He won't have a shortage of options. Now, if he wanted to do everything himself, that could be an issue.

On 3/1/2018 at 7:54 AM, IDOG_det said:

I was going to say, not hiring an agent isn't necessarily a bad thing if you hire a lawyer to do the contract. Yes he'll miss out on potentially being able to go to certain facilities to train or maybe not even learn about potentially good facilities where he can train, but he's Lamar Jackson. He won't have a shortage of options. Now, if he wanted to do everything himself, that could be an issue.

Yea he just needs someone to explain the contract to him to make sure he isn't getting fleeced. 

On 2/28/2018 at 9:42 AM, broncos67 said:

One thing that's been floated by Denver media...if the Broncos do land a QB in free agency, they would be open to moving back to accumulate more picks.

That would be a great idea for any team up high that lands Cousins although, i think alot of teams up top have decent depth but lack star power. 

On 2/27/2018 at 7:17 PM, jrry32 said:

Just a hire a lawyer for a set fee. You pay the lawyer a few thousands bucks to help you deal with the contract, and you don't pay an agent hundreds of thousands to millions of bucks to do nothing.

Richard Sherman gets it:

Lamar Jackson is smart for what he's doing.

On 2/28/2018 at 6:58 AM, Trentwannabe said:

What do you think the chances are they'd move back into the 20's if it meant two 1st this year and more?

I am hoping they land Cousins and the Giants take Barkley so that Rosen may be there at 5.

Sign me up. Get a G and T and have a good line set.

25 minutes ago, Counselor said:

Broncos RUMORED to have been in talks with Browns for #1 if they don’t land Cousins.

I've read that the "talks" were no more than a phone call several months ago. Browns aren't going to trade #1.

The real trade will will be at 4 if the draft goes:

1. Darnold

2. Barkley

3. Chubb

The Browns will look for a trade down and stay within the top 5-8 and collect a ransom.

15 minutes ago, pnies20 said:

I've read that the "talks" were no more than a phone call several months ago. Browns aren't going to trade #1.

The real trade will will be at 4 if the draft goes:

1. Darnold

2. Barkley

3. Chubb

The Browns will look for a trade down and stay within the top 5-8 and collect a ransom.

I hope we don’t trade up to #1

Archived