Some interesting, maybe less discussed prospects...

mwalker

25 minutes ago, JLambert58 said:

Dude's a beast.  Is he expected to go undrafted?  

I have to imagine late rd at best.  He is going to be a major project.  I don’t think he has played a down of football in his life.

If anyone could turn him into a star it would be Munchak though.

8 minutes ago, Chieferific said:

More then likely but perhaps a team will take a flyer on him in the 7th and get his feet wet on STs. 

Most likely a 7th so the team doesn’t have to fight for signing him. 

5 hours ago, Chieferific said:

More then likely but perhaps a team will take a flyer on him in the 7th and get his feet wet on STs. 

Wouldn't mind if we used one of our 7ths on him.   Another Munch prodigy waiting to happen. 

My favorite prospects that we have a shot at getting (i.e No top 10 players). Any thoughts or additional analysis (Pro or Con) is welcomed....

In no particular order...

-Rashaad Evans: I think there is a good chance he'll be there @ 28 and I do believe he is the pick. One of the few times the team doesn't need to move up to be able to get the perfect player at a major position of need. Adding Evans with Burnett will make a tremendous difference in the Rush Defense. 

-Rashaan Gaulden: I haven't hidden the fact that this is my favorite prospect. He is so versatile and just seems to "get it". He shines at diagnosing plays and knows the angles of the game.  I've seen him shut down Slot WRs and bully TEs. Not a workout warrior in shorts but I know what I've seen in pads.

-Christian Sam: Ranked as a 7th Rd prospect and it confuses me. Maybe because the days of the 2 down LB are over but they still live in the Burgh. He reminds me of a faster Burfict (without the jerkiness). A great hole plugger with sideline to sideline speed.

-Jessie Bates: I've seen the criticism on Bates and I get it. But to me, he is the best Centerfielding FS in the draft. Nice play diagnosis, burst, range and ball skills.  No, he isn't a hard hitting tackler but he is reliable. Give me a FS that arrives when the ball does and makes a play on it rather then a guy that arrives after the ball is caught and tries to knock the player out. 

-Royce Freeman: Maybe not my favorite RB per se but I like the value you get out of the 4th-5th Rd prospect. Basically a bowling ball with legs. I like his cutback ability, his elusiveness and the way he sets up his blocks (a la Bell). It usually takes more then an arm tackle to bring him down. His soft hands out of the backfield are an added bonus. A lot of wear on those tires tho. 

On 3/3/2018 at 12:53 PM, Chieferific said:

How about Siran Neal SS Jacksonville St. He's a Jack of all Trades. Playing outside CB/LB/FS/SS. Nice Size/Speed. Projected as a SS. Has his flaws but you gotta love the flexibility. 

It's guys like this is why I always want to move up and down in the draft. Who's your favorite safety? Yeah, I'll just take this guy three rounds later. But I want that buffer of extra picks to reduce my risk a bit

42 minutes ago, Chieferific said:

My favorite prospects that we have a shot at getting (i.e No top 10 players). Any thoughts or additional analysis (Pro or Con) is welcomed....

In no particular order...

-Rashaad Evans: I think there is a good chance he'll be there @ 28 and I do believe he is the pick. One of the few times the team doesn't need to move up to be able to get the perfect player at a major position of need. Adding Evans with Burnett will make a tremendous difference in the Rush Defense. 

-Rashaan Gaulden: I haven't hidden the fact that this is my favorite prospect. He is so versatile and just seems to "get it". He shines at diagnosing plays and knows the angles of the game.  I've seen him shut down Slot WRs and bully TEs. Not a workout warrior in shorts but I know what I've seen in pads.

-Christian Sam: Ranked as a 7th Rd prospect and it confuses me. Maybe because the days of the 2 down LB are over but they still live in the Burgh. He reminds me of a faster Burfict (without the jerkiness). A great hole plugger with sideline to sideline speed.

-Jessie Bates: I've seen the criticism on Bates and I get it. But to me, he is the best Centerfielding FS in the draft. Nice play diagnosis, burst, range and ball skills.  No, he isn't a hard hitting tackler but he is reliable. Give me a FS that arrives when the ball does and makes a play on it rather then a guy that arrives after the ball is caught and tries to knock the player out. 

-Royce Freeman: Maybe not my favorite RB per se but I like the value you get out of the 4th-5th Rd prospect. Basically a bowling ball with legs. I like his cutback ability, his elusiveness and the way he sets up his blocks (a la Bell). It usually takes more then an arm tackle to bring him down. His soft hands out of the backfield are an added bonus. A lot of wear on those tires tho. 

Not sure why you guys are obsessed with ILB. What I read about Burnett is he played one of those LB positions last year. He's a 1st and 2nd down safety and 3rd down LB. This was from Packers guy through Ed Bouchette article. Link - look at his Twitter. 

You need to rush the passer more than you need to stop the run. This needs to stop. You can put safeties in those sub package LB spots nowadays. We lost bc we couldn't pressure Bortles. Franchise record in sacks. But you had to blitz and the improved pass coverage gave you more time to get there. It's a give and take thing - this thing called defense. They take more time, they give you more sacks. 

Evans won't be there at 28. Look at MIA, BAL, LAC, CIN, ATL

Gaulden - good instincts but the next level athleticism will hurt him. He's not going to get any better at diagnosing plays he has a PhD

Christian Sam. Exactly. If you want to improve your ILB depth and move on from Matakevich this is a guy with one of your 5th rd picks. Jack Cichy. Andre Smith. If you want to improve ILB you do it in the 5th rd

The Jessie Bates debate to me is this. If I can get Justin Reid in the 1st rd or Jessie Bates in the 2nd rd I'll go with the quality in Justin Reid in the 1st rd

Royce Freeman is James Conner. They're not going RB unless they trade Bell. Bell, Conner, Ridley, Touissant. It seems they are now content with that position

2 minutes ago, wwhickok said:

I'm not saying he won't play in a linebacker position but we did not sign Morgan Burnett to play linebacker

Just in sub-package situations, which is like 70% of the time. So you don't need an ILB early when your options are either 3-4 or 4-3 scheme. That's first - you can eliminate an ILB position that way. Then in 1st and 2nd downs you got Bostic and Vince. Good, not great. Then on 3rd down you slide Burnett into the LB position in the nickel. 

They've papered the cracks here to downplay the need of an ILB. Not saying they won't go there, all I'm saying is that they put themselves in a position where they don't have to take an ILB. They can take BPA. 

1 hour ago, Money said:

Just in sub-package situations, which is like 70% of the time. So you don't need an ILB early when your options are either 3-4 or 4-3 scheme. That's first - you can eliminate an ILB position that way. Then in 1st and 2nd downs you got Bostic and Vince. Good, not great. Then on 3rd down you slide Burnett into the LB position in the nickel. 

They've papered the cracks here to downplay the need of an ILB. Not saying they won't go there, all I'm saying is that they put themselves in a position where they don't have to take an ILB. They can take BPA. 

ILB is an "obsession" because it is the biggest weakness on the team (Imo). If you have Burnett at ILB and Hargrave in the middle, guess what I'm going to do as an opposing team?  VW and Bostic are run stuffers and bench players. If they are in on 1st and 2nd down, guess what I'm going to do? Evans is the perfect Steeler ILB. If you don't think he's there at #28, that's fine. 

Bates>Reid IMO. Bates is superior in recognition and first step burst/COD. 

The Freeman/Connor comparison is a terrible one. Connor is all force and no wiggle. Freeman is mostly wiggle and almost no force (even tho his build suggests it). 

44 minutes ago, Chieferific said:

ILB is an "obsession" because it is the biggest weakness on the team (Imo). If you have Burnett at ILB and Hargrave in the middle, guess what I'm going to do as an opposing team?  VW and Bostic are run stuffers and bench players. If they are in on 1st and 2nd down, guess what I'm going to do? Evans is the perfect Steeler ILB. If you don't think he's there at #28, that's fine. 

Bates>Reid IMO. Bates is superior in recognition and first step burst/COD. 

The Freeman/Connor comparison is a terrible one. Connor is all force and no wiggle. Freeman is mostly wiggle and almost no force (even tho his build suggests it). 

Like I said, I think they papered the cracks over the ILB position so they don't have to take one there in RD1 unless they think he's the best player. I don't think we have any true needs going into the draft - that's why they signed Bostic for 1st and 2nd down and Burnett to fill that hole on 3rd downs. Yeah, I'd like an upgrade at S, OLB, ILB, CB, DT, RB, TE, WR. They made the signings they did so they can go BPA.

I think Reid is safer than Bates. He's more accomplished in the look of a pro prospect. Although, I wouldn't take him in the first round bc he's blah. But given Reid in the 1st or Bates in the 2nd I'd feel better about Reid in the first. I think the safety class is better where you can find gems later in the draft. Like you mentioned with Siran Neal. He's that hard-hitting safety I think we as Steelers fans covet.

I just don't think they'll go RB unless they trade Bell - which I would do because they you can get another Joe Haden type signing as players get released before, during, or after training camp. Or trade for a Tevin Coleman if need be bc he won't resign in Atlanta now that they paid Devonta Freeman. They seem content with Bell, Conner, Ridley, Touissant going into the draft. Like I feel they are content with filling the role of Ryan Shazier with Bostic and Burnett going into the draft.

Feeling content with someone going into the draft is really like feeling content with someone going into the season if the value isn't there. 

4 minutes ago, Money said:

Like I said, I think they papered the cracks over the ILB position so they don't have to take one there in RD1 unless they think he's the best player. I don't think we have any true needs going into the draft - that's why they signed Bostic for 1st and 2nd down and Burnett to fill that hole on 3rd downs. Yeah, I'd like an upgrade at S, OLB, ILB, DT, RB, WR. They made the signings they did so they can go BPA.

I think Reid is safer than Bates. He's more accomplished in the look of a pro prospect. Although, I wouldn't take him in the first round bc he's blah. But given Reid in the 1st or Bates in the 2nd I'd feel better about Reid in the first. I think the safety class is better where you can find gems later in the draft. Like you mentioned with Siran Neal. He's that hard-hitting safety I think we as Steelers fans covet.

I just don't think they'll go RB unless they trade Bell - which I would do because they you can get another Joe Haden type signing as players get released before, during, or after training camp. They seem content with Bell, Conner, Ridley, Touissant going into the draft. Like I feel they are content with filling the role of Ryan Shazier with Bostic and Burnett going into the draft.

Feeling content with someone going into the draft is really like feeling content with someone going into the season if the value isn't there. 

Don't misunderstand. These aren't necessarily players I think the Steelers will draft. I don't think they will draft Freeman. I do think they will ride it out with Bell/Ridley/Connor. I like him and would add him as a late rdr as I don't think Bell will be back. While I do agree Edge is in major need of improvement, besides Landry (whom isn't without some concerns and would make me nervous) there isn't a 1st Rd Edge guy I'd take. I do not like the idea of using Bostic/Burnett as the strategy for improving the Defense.  That's a bad plan. 

Archived