$18M Left In Cap Space - How To Spend?

Norm

6 minutes ago, {Family Ghost} said:

I think he's a #1 in our offense ... he's just 24 years old as well and just scratching the surface.  He's not the fastest guy in the world, but he gets quite a bit of separation with his route running ability.  He can play every position .. knows the offense like the back of his hand.  We'd be fine with him as a #1 weapon two or three years down the road.

I mean, even if you look past this year you've got Jordy Nelson, Davante Adams (in this scenario), and Martellus Bennett locked up for the foreseeable future, which is enough to feel comfortable about the position.  And then you're drafting and developing another receiver to eventually replace Jordy Nelson.  That's not a bad receiving corp.

Cobb and Adams (potential) resignings are exactly comparable. Cobb got elite slot WR money, Adams isn't going to get elite boundary WR money. Those two positions almost deserve a distinction at this point. I don't want to keep Adams for elite boundary WR money because he is not. But I would keep him for elite slot money because that is on par with tier 3 or so boundary WR money which he has shown flashes of. If he continues his growth this season (and from what I've parsed, he appears to be the best WR in camp this year) he will be worth that IMO. $10million in 2018 is what...$6.5million 2 or 3 years ago?

I'd cut Cobb's contract in a heartbeat to give it to Adams going forward, and I won't be surprised if/when it actually plays out that way. Adams is closer to Bakhtiari than Cobb when it comes to re-signing IMO. Let's get some youth/value at slot WR instead of replacing Adams.

I might have been the most obnoxious of Adam's many critics but he proved me wrong. Watching him closely last year I was amazed at his quick cut ability off the line, to the point where I couldn't understand how any CB could stay with him for the first ten yards. I guess having two ankles does make a difference. Adam's/Rodgers is a deadly combo. Rodgers constantly looks for him and has had nothing but glowing praise for his athleticism since he was a rookie. The kid scored 12 TD's last year, while being a secondary target. Adams at this point is a veteran top 20 receiver in the NFL and I'd pay him #1 money over a 2nd round draft pick any day. If Adams comes close to last years numbers, you sign him, or risk Rodgers wrath. 

6 minutes ago, EdMathews said:

Watching him closely last year I was amazed at his quick cut ability off the line, to the point where I couldn't understand how any CB could stay with him for the first ten yards.

You aren't the only one who noticed Ed

http://www.packersnews.com/story/sports/nfl/packers/2017/08/09/packers-receiver-davante-adams-looking-grab-elite-status/104451400/

"In the last two seasons alone, Davon House has lined up across from Atlanta’s Julio Jones and Houston’s DeAndre Hopkins. House has battled Indianapolis’ T.Y. Hilton, Tampa Bay’s Mike Evans and New England’s Julian Edelman.

But House — recently turned some heads with this statement."

“The day I can stop Davante every single time, that’s when I’m the guy,” House said. “Until then, I’ve still got a lot of room to improve.”  He’s so sudden and so quick, it’s ridiculous,” House said of Adams. “With players like that, it’s hard to stop them. I’m still trying to find a way. "

On 9/5/2017 at 1:34 PM, CWood21 said:

I mean, even if you look past this year you've got Jordy Nelson, Davante Adams (in this scenario), and Martellus Bennett locked up for the foreseeable future, which is enough to feel comfortable about the position.  And then you're drafting and developing another receiver to eventually replace Jordy Nelson.  That's not a bad receiving corp.

Let's just go get Rishard Mathews when Cadmusdomus correctly predicts he'll be cut.  Btw, we've had this conversation in this thread on like... page 8?

If we're keeping Cobb next year, which it seems we are, then I'm not in favor of resigning Adams until after the season.  Let's see what happens with Trevor Davis, and let's pursue one of the many many free agents that are out there at WR every year.  

Let Adams compete with the guys who are out there in FA.  Guys like kendall wright (former 1st rounders who were fairly productive on bad teams) were out there for rather cheap this offseaso. 2018 projects to have a TON of FAs  with guys like Martavis Bryant, Alshon Jeffery, Larry Fitz, Terelle Pryor, Sammy Watkins, Allen Robinson, John Brown, and more in the class.

From 2017, Notable deals that GB could imitate in 2018.

Robert Woods - 5 years 34 mil overpay

Terrance Williams- 4 years 17 mil value deal

Jeremy Maclin 2 years 11 mil value deal

DeSean Jackson 3 years 33 mil market value

Brandon Marshall 2 years 11 mil value deal

Alshon Jefferey 1 year 9.5 mil kick the can deal

Terelle Pryor 1 year 6 mil kick the can deal

Kendall Wright 1 year 2 mil value kick the can deal

Eric Decker 1 year 4 mil

HZ is alright,  but it did kinda shock me that in the draft/offseason thread he stated he doesn't watch college football, yet was so adamant of his opinions on prospects.  Where does he gets them from?  a compilation of opinions of people that do watch college football?

Just now, fattlipp said:

HZ is alright,  but it did kinda shock me that in the draft/offseason thread he stated he doesn't watch college football, yet was so adamant of his opinions on prospects.  Where does he gets them from?  a compilation of opinions of people that do watch college football?

I've never once in my entire time here professed to have any confidence whatsoever in a single draft prospect, only the merit of whether or not it's a good idea to draft their position, so it kinda shocks me that you think I'm adamant of my opinions when I've never once expressed confidence in a prospect.  Most I'll comment on is a lack of physical attributes or how physical attributes could impact how well they perform in the NFL.  I'm adamant on repeated patterns in the NFL and with teams based on which positions they go and how that reflects a team's success, and I'll fall for a player based on commonly accepted opinions, but only so far as their position.

Example, I desperately wanted for us to draft Harrison Smith because he was widely regarded as the best safety prospect.  I've never professed to have the right opinion on a prospect, only positions. 

23 minutes ago, HorizontoZenith said:
34 minutes ago, fattlipp said:

I've never once in my entire time here professed to have any confidence whatsoever in a single draft prospect, only the merit of whether or not it's a good idea to draft their position, so it kinda shocks me that you think I'm adamant of my opinions when I've never once expressed confidence in a prospect.  Most I'll comment on is a lack of physical attributes or how physical attributes could impact how well they perform in the NFL.  I'm adamant on repeated patterns in the NFL and with teams based on which positions they go and how that reflects a team's success, and I'll fall for a player based on commonly accepted opinions, but only so far as their position.

Example, I desperately wanted for us to draft Harrison Smith because he was widely regarded as the best safety prospect.  I've never professed to have the right opinion on a prospect, only positions. 

As much as I disagree with you, this is very true. 

3 hours ago, fattlipp said:

Adams = A bigger more athletic Reggie Wayne,  (the perfect #2)

A larger, less effective, inconsistent Reggie Wayne (maybe he's JAG)

Picking Reggie Wayne was the wrong comp.  It's like saying "A bigger more athletic Isaac Bruce."  Or "a slightly faster, bad hands Anquan Boldin" 

I said it before and you all thought I was nuts, but I stand by my statement....Davante Adams reminds me of Sterling Sharpe without the high end speed.  Very quick, great route runner, good power after the catch.  Okay, maybe not Sharpe power, but the style that they both play with is similar to me.

I was thinking while in the hospital the other day...about the offense....

Are we going to see GB's version of the Greatest Show on Turf this year?

Rams had Bruce, Holt, Proehl, Warner and Faulk.

We have Nelson, Adams, Cobb, Bennett, Rodgers and Monty.

Man, if our defense can get a turnover or two a game or actually provide a stop we could be deadly.

I wanna see Rodgers get the first fully guaranteed contract... I bet if they fully guaranteed it they could get him on another hometown discount (like 25 mill per year for 4 more years (100 mill + whatever he still has left on his current deal at the time)

just a thought

at the same time he deserves to set $ records with his next deal & that will probably be the case & because hes AR he'll most likely earn 100% of his contract anyways

Archived