$18M Left In Cap Space - How To Spend?

Norm

28 minutes ago, squire12 said:

Would love for Rodgers to go the Brady route and take a deal that allows the team to be able to build the defense needed to win Super Bowl.

Makes me nervous if Rodgers is at $30-35M.  How that affects the rest of the roster. 

i dont think itll be anything outrageous like that (assuming some other fringe top 10 QB doesnt ink a 30 mill per year deal out of nowhere)

I do think at the time of AR's signing he'll be garunteed the most that any NFL contract has seen to date, but the anual breakdown will be relativly flexible with the packers cap...

Russ Ball doesnt mess around, he'll somehow find a way to make it a good deal for both sides even though it'll set the benchmark at that position for pay

ideally you want to extend AR this season to roll money over the 2 years he still has left on his current deal to make it "team friendly' but even it it doesnt happen till next year it shouldnt crush the packers cap flexibility... you also gotta factor in that someone like Clay probably wont get brought back after his deal is off the books (& if he does it wont be for anywhere near what hes counting against our cap for his remaining deal) so thats another huge chunk of cash that will be available. 

everything will play out just fine

1 hour ago, squire12 said:

Would love for Rodgers to go the Brady route and take a deal that allows the team to be able to build the defense needed to win Super Bowl.

Makes me nervous if Rodgers is at $30-35M.  How that affects the rest of the roster. 

Couple of thoughts. First off, Andrew Brandt wrote about the alleged discount from Brady

Brady reality

Prior to his extension, Brady was scheduled to earn $30 million combined for the 2013 and 2014 seasons. Following the extension, Brady was scheduled to earn $33 million for the 2013 and 2014 seasons, with much better payment terms.Brady did create short-term cap savings for the Patriots, presumably to retain Wes Welker, among others. However, Brady (1) received much better cash flow, including a $30 million signing bonus, on his two-year earnings, (2) gained another “chip” to use at the bargaining table with the Patriots when necessary, and (3) stacked further amounts to his future cap charges, complicating any possible divorce with the team.Brady is one of dozens of players every year to restructure their contract for immediate cap savings (Ben Roethlisberger has done so with the Steelers in each of the past three seasons). Rarely do players receive any tangible benefits for doing so; Brady received an additional $3 million and better payment terms.

Second, the most important part is that the structure of Rodgers new deal fits for GB. There's plenty of cap to pay him and a SB caliber defense, but you can't hang on to the defense for very long. Its really hard to sync up 11-14 defenders' paychecks and career arcs and once you win a Title, many of those defenders leave for greener pastures. $$

I don't think paying Rodgers and a talented defense are mutually exclusive, but having lots of young ascending defenders is a huge part of that. Adams, Lowry, Clark, Dial are all young, Daniels is only 28. Same at LB, same at DB - plenty of young ascending ( low-cost) guys

Scroll down to the Packers listing on this page from Over The Cap and you'll see that 64 % of the players on the GB roster -  account for only 18 % of the total cap.

OTC did a real nice job with this interactive chart

https://overthecap.com/texture/

So....I'm not reading the game day thread...so I'm probably missing some Eddie Lacy discussion.  So I'll put this here.

My bold prediction is this...before the end of the season, Lacy will be back in Green Bay.

When Rawls is healthy, that could put Eddie as #4 on their depth chart.  That is release territory.  GB could use Lacy to compliment Monty.  I'd take him back in a second on a vets minimum deal if/when Seattle cuts him.

It was apparent to me when the camera caught him sitting on the bench with no one around him that he looked unhappy.  Kid now knows that he choose poorly in free agency.

53 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

So....I'm not reading the game day thread...so I'm probably missing some Eddie Lacy discussion.  So I'll put this here.

My bold prediction is this...before the end of the season, Lacy will be back in Green Bay.

When Rawls is healthy, that could put Eddie as #4 on their depth chart.  That is release territory.  GB could use Lacy to compliment Monty.  I'd take him back in a second on a vets minimum deal if/when Seattle cuts him.

It was apparent to me when the camera caught him sitting on the bench with no one around him that he looked unhappy.  Kid now knows that he choose poorly in free agency.

Do they gain much cutting him it could it be a spot where it's like yeah he's 4th but...

His contract isn't outlandish.  I think it comes down to production.  How many teams pay their 4'th RB $5M?  

Here is what Spotrac says...lots of incentives....per game and weight...if he's cut...no bonus...  Looks like they can save a little money if cutting him.

• $2.865M fully guaranteed (signing bonus + 2017 salary)
  • Per Game Active Bonus: $62,500 ($1M, 5 LTBE)
  • Workout/Weight Bonus: $385,000
    $55,000 if 255 lbs in May
    $55,000 if 250 lbs in June, August
    $55,000 if 240 for Sept, Oct, Nov, Dec
  • Rush Yards Incentives (non-accumulating):
    800: $250,000
    900: $500,000
    1,000: $750,000
    1,100: $1,000,000
    1,200: $1,200,000

22 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

Is this a typo? Must be, because rooks and 2nd year players are the most ascending players.

Kyri Thornton, Carl Bradford, Terrell Manning, McMillan, Rouse.....all of those players were young, rookies or 2nd year players.  None of them were ascending.

20 minutes ago, squire12 said:

Kyri Thornton, Carl Bradford, Terrell Manning, McMillan, Rouse.....all of those players were young, rookies or 2nd year players.  None of them were ascending.

Not necessarily. just because they didn't ascend high enough doesn't mean they weren't ascending. Whether they are good or not is a separate question. 

22 minutes ago, squire12 said:

I think you missed his point. He was trying to say that rookies and 2nd year guys have the most to learn, hence they're ascending...

26 minutes ago, squire12 said:

How do you figure? Just because they were still bad doesn't mean they weren't worse to start!

Plus, not EVERY young player needs to be ascending for that statement to still have meaning. Generally speaking the 1st and 2 year guys are absolutely ascending players. Probably 3rd and 4th as well, but not to the same degree generally.

I'm confused now.

49 minutes ago, squire12 said:

I mean, that's kind of a slippery slope to get into.  Most of that progression comes between the first and second years, so I would call them ascending players.  Or at least you hope they are.

4 hours ago, vegas492 said:

I agree with you that there is a decent chance that Lacy gets cut by Seattle before the end of the season.

I do not agree that GB would add him to the roster if he was cut though.

The Packers had every opportunity to bring him back and did not seem very motivated to do so.

Lacy also looked very slow on Sunday and this was just game 1. 

25 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

I mean, that's kind of a slippery slope to get into.  Most of that progression comes between the first and second years, so I would call them ascending players.  Or at least you hope they are.

That's just it, you hope they do, but not all will.  To assume that all will is a fantasy.  There is no guarantee that the young ones will ascend and reach their potential.  Do they have a chance to, certainly.  Young players have a better chance to vs an older player, but assuming they will is a questionable assumption.

Archived