Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
NormSizedMidget

$18M Left In Cap Space - How To Spend?

Recommended Posts

5 hours ago, vegas492 said:

So....I'm not reading the game day thread...so I'm probably missing some Eddie Lacy discussion.  So I'll put this here.

My bold prediction is this...before the end of the season, Lacy will be back in Green Bay.

When Rawls is healthy, that could put Eddie as #4 on their depth chart.  That is release territory.  GB could use Lacy to compliment Monty.  I'd take him back in a second on a vets minimum deal if/when Seattle cuts him.

It was apparent to me when the camera caught him sitting on the bench with no one around him that he looked unhappy.  Kid now knows that he choose poorly in free agency.

 

I told my buddy this on Sunday. Lacy will be back before the end of Sept IMO. He's an awful fit there.

Guy is a patient runner, just watch last years NYG game for proof. He was having a great 2016 before the injury. You can't be a patient runner when your OL is getting blown in the backfield. You need guys like Rawls, Carson and Procise who get the ball and go. Eddie and TyMon would be a great backfield, and both are good insurance for the other. Not to mention the guy looked miserable on the sideline Seattle, that city doesn't suit his personality in the slightest, nor does Pete Carroll's locker room. That contract was probably Eddie's agent trying to make a buck more than caring about Eddie himself.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Packerraymond said:

I told my buddy this on Sunday. Lacy will be back before the end of Sept IMO. He's an awful fit there.

Guy is a patient runner, just watch last years NYG game for proof. He was having a great 2016 before the injury. You can't be a patient runner when your OL is getting blown in the backfield. You need guys like Rawls, Carson and Procise who get the ball and go. Eddie and TyMon would be a great backfield, and both are good insurance for the other. Not to mention the guy looked miserable on the sideline Seattle, that city doesn't suit his personality in the slightest, nor does Pete Carroll's locker room. That contract was probably Eddie's agent trying to make a buck more than caring about Eddie himself.

I can see how Lacy would be a fit in that scheme if they decided to go back to the read option. 

If they don't, I'm not sure how they generate a running game with that group of guys. Either Kenny Clark is WAY WAY WAY better than he was as a rookie, or that interior group is like the worst ever. The Rams are going to eat that group.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, Packerraymond said:

I told my buddy this on Sunday. Lacy will be back before the end of Sept IMO. He's an awful fit there.

Guy is a patient runner, just watch last years NYG game for proof. He was having a great 2016 before the injury. You can't be a patient runner when your OL is getting blown in the backfield. You need guys like Rawls, Carson and Procise who get the ball and go. Eddie and TyMon would be a great backfield, and both are good insurance for the other. Not to mention the guy looked miserable on the sideline Seattle, that city doesn't suit his personality in the slightest, nor does Pete Carroll's locker room. That contract was probably Eddie's agent trying to make a buck more than caring about Eddie himself.

Honestly, I think that bridge has been burnt.  I think we'd have to have a pretty poor situation happen for that to happen.  I believe they want to see what they have in Ty Montgomery, and given their investments in their three picks I'd imagine that they'd want to give them a chance before they return to Eddie Lacy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, CWood21 said:

Honestly, I think that bridge has been burnt.  I think we'd have to have a pretty poor situation happen for that to happen.  I believe they want to see what they have in Ty Montgomery, and given their investments in their three picks I'd imagine that they'd want to give them a chance before they return to Eddie Lacy.

I don't feel the bridge was burned with any departing FA other than Datone.

It was obvious to me in the offseason and with interviews last week Eddie is still cared about in the locker room.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't think getting Eddie back would be anything against Monty as the #1 back.  Eddie would be the compliment.  Thunder to lightning.  He's better than anything else we have behind Monty now and my guess is that he'd be welcome back in the locker room.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

I don't feel the bridge was burned with any departing FA other than Datone.

It was obvious to me in the offseason and with interviews last week Eddie is still cared about in the locker room.

I was speaking more in terms of his level of commitment.  I mean, he came into his third season overweight and based on the reports from this past offseason he was definitely over where they wanted him.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Packerraymond said:

I don't feel the bridge was burned with any departing FA other than Datone.

It was obvious to me in the offseason and with interviews last week Eddie is still cared about in the locker room.

I think the players in the locker room like Lacy.   Things I have heard is that some players did not really appreciate how the coaching staff (MM) came out publicly about Lacy weight situation.  Lacy himself may just want a fresh chance somewhere other than GB, if Seattle were to release him, just not sure what he would have for options around the league.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It would be odd for him to be back here in GB. I think we'd need to suffer a big injury to either Monty or Williams and then have the other 2 back ups Mayes and Jones fall on their faces. TT and CO have moved on as our draft would indicate.

With that said I really like Lacy and thought he looked really slim on the weekend. Wish he had of put in the time to get down to a good target weight him and Monty together would have been great.

Without the Lacy issues though we don't try Monty at RB. So thanks Eddie.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We dont really have a ton of money to throw  around on Eddie anyways right? Heck I think we are going to have a tough time paying Burnett and Adams and the couple of olinemen.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/13/2017 at 6:07 PM, PackyAttacky said:

We dont really have a ton of money to throw  around on Eddie anyways right? Heck I think we are going to have a tough time paying Burnett and Adams and the couple of olinemen.

I don't think you need a ton of money to bring in Lacy. You're probably not paying the vet minimum, but I'm not sure you're paying much more. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/13/2017 at 2:59 PM, squire12 said:

I think the players in the locker room like Lacy.   Things I have heard is that some players did not really appreciate how the coaching staff (MM) came out publicly about Lacy weight situation. 

Let me start by saying - I am a big fan of Eddie Lacy. And pairing him with Monty was likely the Packers preferred plan *

However, MM and the Packers covered for Lacy on several occasions, including when he missed curfew in Detroit. They cut RB Alonzo Highsmith and fired the RB coach, but Lacy was protected. I'm sure Eddie didn't enjoy MM making his weight a public issue, but they had tried everything else and were likely exasperated at his continued lack of commitment. And rather than deal with it, he chose a fresh start in Seattle. Good for him.

So what did he do with his fresh start ?

He's shown the exact same problem in Seattle; they are just more permissive and haven't been dealing with Eddie as long as the Packers had. You cannot ask the rest of your roster to meet the teams' requirements and then have a different set of rules for Eddie Lacy. The Packers aren't asking him to drop weight for no reason. He has asthma, problematic feet and ankles, just came off of Deltoid surgery, and needs the lower weight so that he can play the game at a high level -  as he did previously.

You saw him on Sunday, he was useless. If Eddie thinks making weight is asking too much, then why would you want him back on your team ?  

 

“I’d love to see Eddie back,” coach Mike McCarthy said at the onset of offseason. Lacy said the Packers’ interest remains high a week before free agency. “Talking to my agent,” he said, “the Packers have been very vocal about having me back there.”

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Done with Lacy.  But I do think that he'll be more effective than he was vs GB in week 1.  I don't expect Seattle to do much with him, but maybe a trade of Lacy for Peterson would make sense for both parties.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, skibrett15 said:

Done with Lacy.  But I do think that he'll be more effective than he was vs GB in week 1.  I don't expect Seattle to do much with him, but maybe a trade of Lacy for Peterson would make sense for both parties.

Seahawks need to rebuild that line. Until they make that change, anything they do at RB is rearranging deck chairs on the titanic. The organization knows that. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, clearly they don't know that.  Otherwise they would have spent Lacy's money on an interior lineman.

Maybe they know that now, or maybe they still have a ridiculous belief in Tom Cable to make something out of nothing even though Cable has failed at basically every coaching station he's occupied since the Raiders.

 

Lacy would be better on NO though.  He's a more versatile player than peterson, and kind of a Fat Mark Ingram.  After what we saw in GB from Lacy last year, I'd be surprised if he can't be somewhat effective in the NFL.  Peterson is done though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Shanedorf said:

Let me start by saying - I am a big fan of Eddie Lacy. And pairing him with Monty was likely the Packers preferred plan *

However, MM and the Packers covered for Lacy on several occasions, including when he missed curfew in Detroit. They cut RB Alonzo Highsmith and fired the RB coach, but Lacy was protected. I'm sure Eddie didn't enjoy MM making his weight a public issue, but they had tried everything else and were likely exasperated at his continued lack of commitment. And rather than deal with it, he chose a fresh start in Seattle. Good for him.

So what did he do with his fresh start ?

He's shown the exact same problem in Seattle; they are just more permissive and haven't been dealing with Eddie as long as the Packers had. You cannot ask the rest of your roster to meet the teams' requirements and then have a different set of rules for Eddie Lacy. The Packers aren't asking him to drop weight for no reason. He has asthma, problematic feet and ankles, just came off of Deltoid surgery, and needs the lower weight so that he can play the game at a high level -  as he did previously.

You saw him on Sunday, he was useless. If Eddie thinks making weight is asking too much, then why would you want him back on your team ?  

 

“I’d love to see Eddie back,” coach Mike McCarthy said at the onset of offseason. Lacy said the Packers’ interest remains high a week before free agency. “Talking to my agent,” he said, “the Packers have been very vocal about having me back there.”

I agree with the concept of Lacy needing to keep his weight in check.  Just relaying what I have heard of how other players close to Lacy noted how they viewed things.  Friends vs business of football.

As for the quotes...typical coach/agent talk.  I take that stuff as nothing more than cliche.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  



×