$18M Left In Cap Space - How To Spend?

Norm

1 minute ago, NormSizedMidget said:

Is the idea then by those that wonder what we're doing, that we have no plan for that money? Like we're just saving to save?

I doubt it.  They generally roll over $7M-$8M, so you've got roughly $14M or so to play with.  Figure a couple million for in-season signings, which leaves roughly $10M-$12M that's unaccounted for.  Unless you believe the Packers are rolling over a significant amount of cap space (unlikely), that likely goes towards extensions.

1 minute ago, CWood21 said:

I doubt it.  They generally roll over $7M-$8M, so you've got roughly $14M or so to play with.  Figure a couple million for in-season signings, which leaves roughly $10M-$12M that's unaccounted for.  Unless you believe the Packers are rolling over a significant amount of cap space (unlikely), that likely goes towards extensions.

That's kind of my idea. Like is the idea by Brett and others that we're just being stingy? I follow his argument player wise to a degree but I don't feel like we are the group with no plan.

Maybe we're on the LeBron sweepstakes this time.

7 minutes ago, NormSizedMidget said:

That's kind of my idea. Like is the idea by Brett and others that we're just being stingy? I follow his argument player wise to a degree but I don't feel like we are the group with no plan.

Could be going into next year with the plan to drop real money in free agency. 

Or you could be the Browns with plans to roll $53 million into next year. O.o

12 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Could be going into next year with the plan to drop real money in free agency. 

Or you could be the Browns with plans to roll $53 million into next year. O.o

Haha. Was gonna bring up money for next year in FA in a more serious manner but I'm not sure even I buy that one.

25 minutes ago, NormSizedMidget said:

You'd have to think so given the Packers have plenty of cap space left.

5 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

You'd have to think so given the Packers have plenty of cap space left.

Yeah exactly. I was just curious what the rationale of those saying we kept too much.

Let's be honest. I'm trying to trap them into saying Ted is just being stingy all when he uses it I can laugh in my head if I remember haha.

Money is likely earmarked to a degree that's my feel.

Just now, NormSizedMidget said:

Yeah exactly. I was just curious what the rationale of those saying we kept too much.

Let's be honest. I'm trying to trap them into saying Ted is just being stingy all when he uses it I can laugh in my head if I remember haha.

Money is likely earmarked to a degree that's my feel.

The hard part is pegging whose in line for an extension.  I know we've discussed ad nauseam whether or not Morgan Burnett is going to receive that 3rd contract, and if that's not the case it's likely Davante Adams and Corey Linsley as the two prime candidates to get extensions.

31 minutes ago, NormSizedMidget said:

We're not being stingy and there's definitely a plan.  My point is that the options left to re-sign are not inspiring, thus the plan has not worked out that great.

Perhaps they thought we were gonna spend more in FA than we actually did.  Now that we didn't, the best course is to use that money for extensions rather than roll the money into next year, but still the extension candidates are not really that inspiring.  So do you extend a middling guy just because you have the money?

In a vacuum, I think most of these decisions make sense.  Separately, the cumulative effect is not really that promising though.  

Paying Adams seems like the best use of the money, but Adams from my perspective isn't worth much more salary wise and play wise than a guy like Rishard Matthews.

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/tennessee-titans/rishard-matthews-10048/

1 minute ago, skibrett15 said:

Paying Adams seems like the best use of the money, but Adams from my perspective isn't worth much more salary wise and play wise than a guy like Rishard Matthews.

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/tennessee-titans/rishard-matthews-10048/

Adams will easily get more than what Rishard Matthews just got.  When Matthews got that 3 year, $15M deal he was coming off a 43/662/4 in 11 GP season.  Adams is coming off a 75/997/12 season.  Matthews would be his absolute floor IMO, not his ceiling by any means.  You're probably looking at a 4 year, $32M deal or so IMO.

3 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

Adams will easily get more than what Rishard Matthews just got.  When Matthews got that 3 year, $15M deal he was coming off a 43/662/4 in 11 GP season.  Adams is coming off a 75/997/12 season.  Matthews would be his absolute floor IMO, not his ceiling by any means.  You're probably looking at a 4 year, $32M deal or so IMO.

Adams was fantastic today. 

5 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

Wouldn't shock me if Adams came in at Cobb money.

He'll get more.  I'm just not sure he's a much better player.  $8M is fine by me.  Cobb money was an overpay for Cobb, and probably would be an overpay for Adams.

Marty B at $7M/year is so much more appealing of a signing than paying Adams big bucks.  Let's go get a veteran mid/low level guy.  Something like a Chris Hogan or Rishard Matthews type of signing.

Archived