$18M Left In Cap Space - How To Spend?

Norm

19 hours ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Are you talking about the cap roll over?

If so, then yes. Any cap that is unused this year will roll over into next year.

You don't get a percentage of that as extra though. The roll over isn't a bank where you make 2% on it.

From the old site I think I misunderstood the poster.

http://www.footballsfuture.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=587308&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=30

I have a question. I'm not a cap guy, so excuse me. Green Bay has over $23 million in cap space right now according to Spotrac. Next year, they'll have over #33 million in cap space, if they keep everyone.

That in the rollover alone is ~$56 million, minus rookie contracts. Take into account the top 51 rule and it doesn't seem like that's going to be very significant considering GB has two picks in the top 90.

Per Spotrac, GB would save:
-$9.5 million if they release Cobb next year (going into 2018 as a 28 YO in his last year of his contract)
-$10.25 million if they release Nelson next year (going into 2018 as a 33 YO in his last year of his contract)
-$11.4 million if they release Matthews next year (going into 2018 as a 32 YO in his last year of his contract)

Is Green Bay going to have $80+ million in cap space to work with next year?

You figure:

1) The Aaron Rodgers extension is coming, but he's already going to have a cap hit of over $20 million, so he shouldn't get more than a $5 million increase at most.

2) The only veteran starters in a contract year right now are:
a) Morgan Burnett, who plays an overhang position when Green Bay let Hyde/Hayward walk
b) Davante Adams, but Green Bay is notorious in shorting players on their second contracts
c) Lane Taylor, who we don't even know if he's worth re-signing

Even if those guys all came back to market value deals, Green Bay still has at least $65ish million in cap space, considering the fact that we know Thompson back loads his contracts. What in the hell is Green Bay going to do with that money in 2018?

Sorry to quote the poster if he/she changed their opinion, but I was wondering how come they came up with 65 mil and most have 23 mil or so?

2 minutes ago, PackyAttacky said:

From the old site I think I misunderstood the poster.

http://www.footballsfuture.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=587308&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=30

I have a question. I'm not a cap guy, so excuse me. Green Bay has over $23 million in cap space right now according to Spotrac. Next year, they'll have over #33 million in cap space, if they keep everyone.

That in the rollover alone is ~$56 million, minus rookie contracts. Take into account the top 51 rule and it doesn't seem like that's going to be very significant considering GB has two picks in the top 90.

Per Spotrac, GB would save:
-$9.5 million if they release Cobb next year (going into 2018 as a 28 YO in his last year of his contract)
-$10.25 million if they release Nelson next year (going into 2018 as a 33 YO in his last year of his contract)
-$11.4 million if they release Matthews next year (going into 2018 as a 32 YO in his last year of his contract)

Is Green Bay going to have $80+ million in cap space to work with next year?

You figure:

1) The Aaron Rodgers extension is coming, but he's already going to have a cap hit of over $20 million, so he shouldn't get more than a $5 million increase at most.

2) The only veteran starters in a contract year right now are:
a) Morgan Burnett, who plays an overhang position when Green Bay let Hyde/Hayward walk
b) Davante Adams, but Green Bay is notorious in shorting players on their second contracts
c) Lane Taylor, who we don't even know if he's worth re-signing

Even if those guys all came back to market value deals, Green Bay still has at least $65ish million in cap space, considering the fact that we know Thompson back loads his contracts. What in the hell is Green Bay going to do with that money in 2018?

Sorry to quote the poster if he/she changed their opinion, but I was wondering how come they came up with 65 mil and most have 23 mil or so?

I think Justo is confused.

The salary cap for the 2017-2018 season is going to be $175,074,776. We currently have $156,691,986 in commitments.

$175,074,776-$156,991,986=$18,382,790.That's our roll over going into the 2018-2019 season.

OTC has the 2018-2019 cap projected to be around $178,000,000

When you take into account the roll over, we would have projected spending capabilities of $196,382,790 ($178,000,000+$18,382,790). 

Subtract whatever we'll roll over from 2018-2019 into 2019-2020 and that's what you're playing with next offseason including draft picks and the like.

Just now, skibrett15 said:

Seems like we probably should have paid Lang on a 2 year deal if that was possible.

Why though?  Do you honestly believe the difference between the on-field result between Lang and Evans will come anywhere near matching the pay disparity between the two? 

59 minutes ago, skibrett15 said:

Seems like we probably should have paid Lang on a 2 year deal if that was possible.

That $18M will be used to resign some of the 2018 upcoming FA that GB has.  Signing Lang to a 2 year deal would likely mean not being able to resign 1 or even 2 of Adams, Burnett, Linsley, Taylor....among others.  Not saying that all of the FA will be resigned, but had GB signed Lang, that would make it that much harder to sign some of those FA.  

Given what we've heard out of camp, it would be hard to argue against getting Taylor to sign and extension.  Lock him in now so he doesn't want, or get Gabe Jackson kind of money.

Adams is going to get paid regardless.  

Maybe Lindsley is in the Taylor category as well.  

I certainly want extensions done over potential free agents next year.

22 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

Given what we've heard out of camp, it would be hard to argue against getting Taylor to sign and extension.  Lock him in now so he doesn't want, or get Gabe Jackson kind of money.

Maybe Lindsley is in the Taylor category as well.  

I certainly want extensions done over potential free agents next year.

We dont have a ton of money and that is paying everybody on the oline and every WR. I wonder what happens to Cobb and Clay next season. Its pretty rare for a team to have all 3 WRs and TE paid right?

6 hours ago, vegas492 said:

Are we 100% on that?  I'm leaning that way, but also think Trevor Davis could make a push for adams' role until cobb is up.

Guess I'll ask again... would Eric Decker be the No. 2 option on this team?

8 hours ago, HorizontoZenith said:

Why though?  Do you honestly believe the difference between the on-field result between Lang and Evans will come anywhere near matching the pay disparity between the two? 

Looks like we have 2 year cap room to spare is all.

Sure, we'll do some extensions and such with the money.  But I don't think there's many players on the roster not already signed who are better than Lang for the next 2.  I also don't think 2 years is that crazy of a time horizon for this team in its current state.  Things won't totally go to crap in 2 years, and we can push some chips into the game this offseason.

I'm of the belief that sometimes individual units can just take over football games and tilt the field enough that they are more than the sum of the parts.  I think we decidedly lose that moving to Evans, where it was a possibility that we had a really good run game this year with Linsley/Lang/Bulaga for a second full(ish) season in a row.

Evans is a fine stopgap guy who you hope gets replaced by a younger guy because it probably means good things from the young guy (Spriggs).  Also think Spriggs is our real RG and McCarthy is playing coy.

2 hours ago, skibrett15 said:

Are we 100% on that?  I'm leaning that way, but also think Trevor Davis could make a push for adams' role until cobb is up.

Guess I'll ask again... would Eric Decker be the No. 2 option on this team?

wait where is this coming from? Davis has 3 catches to his name

I guess it's more of a "how do we know any of these WRs are any good" since rodgers is so dang good.  I'm 99% on Jordy being successful elsewhere given how bad the offense looked without him, but would adams be anything more than Terrance Williams or Kenny Britt outside of GB?

Would Cobb be anything more than kendall wright?

And if that's the case, why are we gonna pay Adams?

2 minutes ago, PackyAttacky said:

Adams I think would have success like James Jones. He makes the contested catches.

Jones was pretty bad and inefficient outside of GB.  9.1 yards per reception, -14% DVOA.  Which ranked 76th in the NFL at WR.

Archived