$18M Left In Cap Space - How To Spend?

Norm

1 hour ago, skibrett15 said:

Jones was pretty bad and inefficient outside of GB.  9.1 yards per reception, -14% DVOA.  Which ranked 76th in the NFL at WR.

Jones had 1 year outside of GB with a rookie QB in Derek Carr with Oakland that went 3-13.  Carr averaged 5.5 yards per attempt, had a 58.1 completion percentage that season.  Not exactly sure what you are expecting in that situation.  

Any WR that would leave GB is going to have success or not based a great deal on the system, the personnell around him and primarily the QB.  Cobb likely thrives in NE, sucks in Cleveland.

Extensions have to be in order.  I know that I remember one of the journalists suggest that Lane Taylor and Corey Linsley were the two most likely to receive an extension.  I'm not sure that Corey Linsley gets an extension right now, unless he's signing a below-market deal.  I'm not sure they're going to pay significant money to a guy with a decent injury history, and it doesn't help the Jaguars just signed Brandon Linder to a 5 year, $51.7M extension.  If Linsley wants a 3 or 4 year deal with an AAV of around $5M, I'd be interested depending on the guarantees.  But if he wants more than that, I'd rather just play the season out and see how it goes.  Spotrac has him projected at 5 years, $35M which is a bit high for me both in terms of years and AAV.

8 hours ago, CWood21 said:

Lane Taylor and Corey Linsley

Hardly a reason to save space IMO.  Those guys aren't helping the team all that much.

Guys who are worth money:

Morgan Burnett

Guys who might be worth money:

Davon House

I don't think Burnett is in the long term plans, but if he is, then that's a reason to save the money.

Just now, skibrett15 said:

Hardly a reason to save space IMO.  Those guys aren't helping the team all that much.

Guys who are worth money:

Morgan Burnett

Guys who might be worth money:

Davon House

I don't think Burnett is in the long term plans, but if he is, then that's a reason to save the money.

You can exclude Davon House, they're not going to sign him an extension mere months after signing him to a contract.  He's going to play the entire season before he gets a new deal IMO.  As for Burnett, I've already been rather vocal about my belief that he's not getting another contract from the Packers.  The list of Packer drafted players who receive 3rd contracts from Ted are few and far between.  I really don't think Burnett is one of those guys.

3 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

You can exclude Davon House, they're not going to sign him an extension mere months after signing him to a contract.  He's going to play the entire season before he gets a new deal IMO.  As for Burnett, I've already been rather vocal about my belief that he's not getting another contract from the Packers.  The list of Packer drafted players who receive 3rd contracts from Ted are few and far between.  I really don't think Burnett is one of those guys.

sure, but you can use 2017 cap in november, no?  We agree on Burnett.

So the grand plan was to throw 10M at linsley and lane taylor?  Why are we paying them when spriggs is on the bench?  I mean, I hate don barclay more than most, but spriggs needs to play before we pay some fungible OL anything.  Plenty of those types available in free agency.

3 minutes ago, skibrett15 said:

sure, but you can use 2017 cap in november, no?  We agree on Burnett.

So the grand plan was to throw 10M at linsley and lane taylor?  Why are we paying them when spriggs is on the bench?  I mean, I hate don barclay more than most, but spriggs needs to play before we pay some fungible OL anything.  Plenty of those types available in free agency.

You think they're going to give Davon House an extension in November?  My guess is money goes to Linsley and Adams.

no, I don't think they are going to give house an extension this season.  Nobody has given me a decent explanation for keeping 18 million heading into the season.  I don't accept corey linsley as an acceptable reason.

Of the contenders with more cap space than GB ( pitt, TB, carolina, indy) all have more compelling reasons to keep the space free for guys like le'veon bell, thomas davis/star lotulelei, vontae davis/moncrief.  TB is a little puzzling but maybe mike evans is in the works.

Davante Adams and Morgan Burnett could eat that up quick.

Also, there is no reason to spend the money just to spend it. They usually keep about 8, so that's 10 over normal. Getting value is always the key and it's completely possible they just didn't find good value, so holding onto it makes more sense.

On 8/4/2017 at 10:35 PM, skibrett15 said:

Are we 100% on that?  I'm leaning that way, but also think Trevor Davis could make a push for adams' role until cobb is up.

Guess I'll ask again... would Eric Decker be the No. 2 option on this team?

Someone is paying Adams.  May not be GB, but the kid is going to get paid.

Personally I think that this is Cobbs last year on that contract.  I think he would be the prime candidate to re-do his deal to stay.

GB has the cap room now to lock up a guy or two.  Next year they can address Cobb and Matthews.  And I think they can extend Rodgers and lower the cap hit initially if they so choose.  They are in really good cap shape..

If you look at the roster, to me it is obvious that they need to lock up Taylor and Lindsley.  No real backup center is on the roster.  Barclay will play the role for 16 games, but we know what he is and a quality starter he is not.  Looking at guard...we have a rookie for the future and I'd say that he will take over for Evans in the future.  Not Taylor.

So those two make sense.

At WR, Jordy is getting old, Cobb may be the worst player for the contract in the entire league since he signed that deal.  Davante is the only youngish kid who is a known talent at WR.  Janis is unfulfilled potential.  Dupree and Yancey are unknowns.  Geronimo was a good story last year, but who knows what he is.  Davis is fast, but puny.  Makes sense to lock up Adams.

Given Spriggs development, maybe Bulaga is another one whose roster spot isn't overly secure after this season.

Point being, GB has money and has ways to get even more money.  They can and should extend some of these younger kids before they hit free agency.

7 hours ago, vegas492 said:

Personally I think that this is Cobbs last year on that contract.  I think he would be the prime candidate to re-do his deal to stay.

Honestly, this feels like a situation where you just release the player so you don't offend them when you inform the player of their true worth to the team. 

I like Cobb, but he's a pure slot. 

He also wasn't great today, and couldn't separate from Gunter on a vertical route. 

Gunter got beat like a drum today on vertical routes all day. 

Just now, squire12 said:

Rodgers extension

Adams, Linsley, Burnett, House

Clinton-Dix extension in 2018 offseason

Based on the comments thus far, I don't think Rodgers extension is on the near horizon.  If they're going to extend him, it's probably going to be close to midseason IMO.

Doesn't matter when it happens, it takes $$ to do so.  By having more $$ on hand, GB can front load the deal with a bonus and have more room in future years.

Maybe Rodgers gets a $10M bonus worked into the 2017 or 2018 contract once the extension is signed.  That lessens how much is needed to be guaranteed into 2019 and beyond.

Archived