Ron Parker gone as well!

KC_Guy

9 minutes ago, kingseanjohn said:

Not a fan of it if true. I'd want to see if we could someone else in the draft first (really hoping for Elliott). Even then, he's a good #2/3. With Berry back that's where he'd be.

But way too expensive for that role  ... 

Chiefs released FS Ron Parker.

The move saves nearly $5 million in cap room. The Chiefs' defensive makeover continues after last week's Marcus Peters trade and public announcement longtime ILB Derrick Johnson would not return. Parker, who turns 31 before the season, struggled mightily in both run support and pass coverage last season, grading out 86th among 89 qualified safeties in Pro Football Focus' ratings.

Rotoworld,referencing the KC Star

So as of today our starting defense is;

Bailey - Hamilton - Jones

Houston - Ragland - Eligwe - Ford

Fuller - Berry - Sorenson - Nelson

Not an improvement if you ask me. Free agency will be interesting. But I'm guessing the cap space we've made will be used for re-signing some of our own guys.

This one is definitely far less heart breaking. He really struggled last year in Berry's absence.

I am intrigued about the fact that both Kurt Coleman and Quintin Demps were released this week. Both are around Parker's age, should be cheaper, and have ties to us and Sutton. Did well in their one year stints here. Wouldn't mind either for depth, at least.

10 hours ago, jimmydee said:

ksj....do you realllly believe they're finished??

Of course not. But you can't deny that we've downgraded on defense when it was already a weakness. Rather than pushing our current guys back on the depth chart and having them compete, we're going all in on free agents and the draft.

Once we begin to sign people in FA I'm sure we'll improve some. But until then, we've made our D worse.

They are clearly aiming two years down the line. Not only is Derrick Johnson a great player, he's a local guy for me. I remember his time in high school. The time has come to settle accounts, which means there will be a less expensive team in the fall. it will also be a less capable team, but that is how things work. At least the heavy lifting on the OL is done. Killing your young QB is counter productive.

J

On 2/28/2018 at 10:11 AM, onejayhawk said:

They are clearly aiming two years down the line.

I think not. Chiefs are aiming to change things up immediately. Parker was a main cog in the dismal Safety play. He was always late to cover and ranked up there with Sorensen for terrible tackling skills. Our safeties gave up the 2nd. most plays of 40+ yds/NFL, another reason why Parker is gone. Good riddance.

kjs....I don't know how releasing these two jackwagons is a down grade, if you feel the defense was already crap. Sounds to me like the "colon cleansing" is going well.  Hard to judge a finished product half way through the 'sausage making'.

Archived