Rebuild for the sorta short term future

valkrei

Agreed whole-heartedly. And I made a somewhat TL;DR post on this in the Peters thread. But I absolutely think we've accepted that next year won't be a superbowl type year with Mahomes in his first year as a starter, so we're biting the bullet, pushing through with some moves that are going to happen within the next 1 - 2 years anyways, and just taking all those hits at once rather than delaying the inevitable. Peters, Johnson, Parker, Smith, and inevitably Hali and maybe Bailey, are all guys who'd be departing in a year or two regardless. No sense paying for veteran help in a year we don't expect to go all the way anyway.

6 minutes ago, onejayhawk said:

That's it in a nutshell. Everyone expects growing pains during Mahomes first year. So, anything that will not be as good or better in two years is under a hammer. 

It's a pity. We had a real shot this season. 

J

With this defense I doubt it. 

Hopefully we can find some pieces for the D with the extra cap room, otherwise it'll be Texas tech 2.0 for mahomes in the pros. 

21 hours ago, onejayhawk said:

With this defense as it started the season. As a player, Berry was very important. As the soul of the defense he turned out to be indispensable. If nothing else, he kept Peters focused. 

J

Prior to the Fuller trade I would not agree.  But DJ, Hali and the oldschool crew getting older and it shows.

1 hour ago, valkrei said:

Prior to the Fuller trade I would not agree.  But DJ, Hali and the oldschool crew getting older and it shows.

Sorry. Wrong year. By this season I meant the one just passed. We had a real shot in 2017, until Berry was injured. 

Even with Fuller, it has been clear they expect a bumpy ride. 

J

I have done a few fanspeak mocks but with all the action so far prior to the official start of the season, trades ect ect I think doing a real legit mock makes no sense without a first round pick.

Exactly. Cleveland picks four times before our first pick and twice more before our second. This is why it has been very hard for me to get involved with the draft discussions. Not only do we not have a pick in the top 50, we only have three in the top 100. After the first 100-120 it turns into a dice game.

Next year, with a first and two seconds, it will be different. 

J

It's interesting to hear from Veach, that the Chiefs will take a look at faster WR.

Do u guys think that there is any chance we go after Sammy Watkins in free agency or draft someone on day 2? I can't really imagine any of this, through it really depends on how many needs we can fill in free agency on our defense, if we're talking about drafting someone high. Although i would love to see us draft Equanimeous St. Brown, i just think our holes on the defense are to big to invest a day 2 pick in him or any other WR. But maybe Veach got an eye on a late round guy.

I could see us going WR in the 2nd or 3rd round after that there is nothing left.  I could see a trade for a WR as well.  You have to find weapons and protection for PM2.

In most of my mock drafts I have gone heavy on LB, CB then edge and been looking at some WR prior to Veach adding Hype to the ER train.

I even looked at center, and btw one of the Centers rated early in the 2nd round was injured recently, not sure how bad but now you might be able to snag the guy even later.

Protection, not so much. Better depth would be good, but the OL is in place. Conley is OK as the lead. Hill is All-Pro on the other side. LB is more interesting. You can draft an outstanding LB 60 picks in, but all the edge speed will be gone or have serious issues by that point. With Ragland already settled at big ILB, a speed guy would be possible. Safety is another place where starters are found day 2. CB will normally be guys with discipline, speed or size issues by our pick.

J

Archived