2018 NFL Combine Thread

flyingmonkey30

See the source image

2018 NFL Combine Schedule

Friday, March 2nd - RB, OL, ST

Saturday, March 3rd - QB, WR, TE

Sunday, March 4th - DL, LB

Monday, March 5th - DB

Not sure about the rest of the schedule in terms of interviews, weigh-ins, etc. Let's keep Combine discussion in this thread. Who are you most looking forward to seeing?

Medicals on Connor Williams and Harold Landry. Going to effect their status quite a bit. 

Josh Jackson - Have heard from some fellow Hawk fans, he may run low in low 4.4s.

Virginia DL Andrew Brown. Think he makes a big jump on boards, but will need to test well. He's had effort issues in past

Some of my favorites...

Kemoko Turay 

Jessie Bates
Tegray Scales
Deadrin Senat
Auden Tate

13 hours ago, flyingmonkey30 said:

I really want to see what Courtland Sutton runs. Maybe it's just me, but I'm worried he's another Treadwell. If he goes out and runs a sub 4.5, I'm going to have to go back to the tape and see what I missed.

He's got slower pad speed than what reports say he can and probably will run at the Combine.  It's one reason I don't particularly like him as a prospect.

22 hours ago, Super4 said:

He's got slower pad speed than what reports say he can and probably will run at the Combine.  It's one reason I don't particularly like him as a prospect.

If you watch his tape though, you can see he has long speed. He is often open at the top of his routes because once he starts striding defenders have a tough time defending\keeping up with him. I wouldn't say he is super quick and probably won't time well, but there are examples of him being wide open deep. I was trying to find a gif of him making a deep contested catch to post in a mock awhile back. There aren't many examples because he usually had nice separation on his deep routes.

Sutton-8R-TD.gif

MQWqKm.gif

Sutton.gif

PalatableConsiderateKitten-max-1mb.gif

And he wasn't completely worthless in the screen game like most 6'4" WRs are:

JqqAKg.gif

giphy.gif

There is some long striding deep speed there and more wiggle than you'd expect. He is also taller and longer than Treadwell.

4 hours ago, DaBoys said:

If you watch his tape though, you can see he has long speed.

Most receivers do if theyre worth anything coming out of school, and it's why the 40 time is the most critical to WR and DBs because of the examples you shown.

There is some long striding deep speed there and more wiggle than you'd expect. He is also taller and longer than Treadwell.

I actually like him more than Treadwell as well as most of this class, but overall the WR class isn't impressive so that's not saying much.  The only prospect I'm drooling over at WR is Christian Kirk.  I'm sure by now most of you are tired of hearing me throw his name out but he's the most Dak friendly receiver coming out this year, and is a poor-man's OBJ.

2 hours ago, Super4 said:

Most receivers do if there worth anything coming out of school, and it's why the 40 time is the most critical to WR and DBs because of the examples you shown.

I don't think I agree with this. "Most" WRs do one thing really well coming out of school if they are worth anything, but long speed isn't always that. In fact, there are tons of WRs that are described year in and year out as "more quick than fast." And even more that are just average at both, but really precise route runners who can box defenders out. Not every WR has long speed. Dez Bryant, Cole Beasley, and Switzer are guys with questionable long speed. But obviously (at least for Bease and Switz) short area quickness is elite. 

Sutton, when he hits his stride(and yes he takes a bit to get going), is deceptively fast. Faster than you'd think. Not every WR has that. Idk that Treadwell has that. 

21 minutes ago, DaBoys said:

I don't think I agree with this. "Most" WRs do one thing really well coming out of school if they are worth anything, but long speed isn't always that. In fact, there are tons of WRs that are described year in and year out as "more quick than fast." And even more that are just average at both, but really precise route runners who can box defenders out. Not every WR has long speed. Dez Bryant, Cole Beasley, and Switzer are guys with questionable long speed. But obviously (at least for Bease and Switz) short area quickness is elite. 

Sutton, when he hits his stride(and yes he takes a bit to get going), is deceptively fast. Faster than you'd think. Not every WR has that. Idk that Treadwell has that. 

If using examples of players who should play X like Cole and Switz, then sure I'll agree.  but we're talking about big bodied, and long stride guys.  Dez has explosive 40 time at the jump, and it dwindles around the 30 yard and then will pick back up as he gets going.  He's never been overly fast in general either.

The issue with Sutton that I see is that become he takes awhile to get going, is that he's going to run a fast 40 time, but his pad speed at the professional level won't match because of better coverage and athletes.  In your examples he's occassionally blowing past guys out of position or who aren't players with makeup speed.  You don't see that nearly as often at this level.

I'll gladly take a guy 4-5 inches smaller, isn't a 50/50 catch player, is shifty with great hands and has explosive playmaking after the catch.  *cough*christiankirk*cough* -_-

24 minutes ago, Jlash said:

I posted a stat on the Eagles forum that since 2003 more WR's have made the Pro Bowl that have run a 4.6 or higher than WR's that have run a 4.4 or lower. Pretty interesting.

Yeah it is definitely interesting.  The being said, if your 'padspeed' is slower than your combine times, it doesn't change the fact that you're not actually as fast on the field as your 40 time would indicate.

22 minutes ago, Super4 said:

The being said, if your 'padspeed' is slower than your combine times, it doesn't change the fact that you're not actually as fast on the field as your 40 time would indicate.

I thought it went without saying that most if not all people run faster without a bunch of pads on.

Archived