Bills Sign Vontae Davis to One Year Deal

bigbadbuff23835

9 hours ago, Billsfaninptown said:

I would much rather have Gaines than Davis. Gaines is only 26 and Davis is going to 30 in May. It would be nice to lock Gaines up and have our starting CB’s locked up for 4 years. Davis is just a band aid. People keep bringing up Gaines injury history, but Davis has had his fair share of injuries. EJ is such a great fit for this defense. I am going to be sad to see him go. Him and White would have been one of the best young CB duos in league, if not the best.

I totally get that. But I trust McDermott and Beane to draft a CB either in a later round this year or next season to be White's running mate. 

I just personally don't think the Bills are in a position to pay their number 2 CB 8-10 mil per year. 

8 hours ago, BigMountainGoat said:

I hope not. We only a bit of cap space and I'd far rather use it on one of the big holes at linebacker or D line rather than a CB when we already have 2 starters

Multiple year contracts can allow teams to set up the contract for other years. They can sign him and give him his 7-8 mil a year average but can have a cap hit of 3-4 mil this year. In 2019 offseason bills will have 80+ mil in cap and 2020 will have 140 mil in cap so just because he may get paid doesnt mean the bills cant figure out the contract to retain gaines if they wanted to. I just dont see them paying more the 7-8 mil a year for him when he was injured 4 of the 16 games this year and had a past of injury history in different parts of his body so I dont see this as a wise cost based on that not because of the contract he will get.

Archived