Top 30 defenses of the last 30 years

CP3MVP

10 minutes ago, CP3MVP said:

We can look at the 2000 Ravens in two ways. We can acknowledge that many of the regular-season records they set came courtesy of one of the easiest defensive schedules in history. Or, we can focus on the fact that the Ravens are almost as superlative in Football Outsiders' advanced stats, even after we've adjusted for that super-easy schedule. The Ravens have the best run defense DVOA of all time, and they famously allowed only 2.7 yards per carry for the entire regular season. They had four shutouts and held opponents to 10 points or fewer in 11 of 16 regular-season games. But the Ravens really became legends in the playoffs, allowing just 23 total points in four games to Denver (No. 3 in offensive DVOA), Tennessee (No. 16), Oakland (No. 6) and the New York Giants (No. 8). That postseason performance moves the Ravens up from No. 12 to No. 3 on this list.

I really, really, really hate how this ignores that while the 2000 Ravens did all of this, they did it during a period of time where their offense was nonexistent to a historic degree.

4 hours ago, Darth Pees said:

I really, really, really hate how this ignores that while the 2000 Ravens did all of this, they did it during a period of time where their offense was nonexistent to a historic degree.

There was nothing historically bad about the ravens offense, the whole “well they had  Trent Dilfer so the entire offense sucked” narrative has taken on a life of its own. They were 14th in PPG sand 16th in yards. There are several defenses on this list that carried worse offenses 

18 hours ago, PapaShogun said:

I like how we improved on defense after Sanders left in 1995.

Too bad we didn't improve on offense after Watters was gone. :(

I’m starting to question much impact did Deion Sanders really have? The defenses in Atlanta were horrible every year particularly against the pass. They actually gave up fewer passing touchdowns the year after he left. He goes to San Francisco a team that had been playing great defense for like 15 years without him and wins a title. He leaves to Dallas and San Fran gives up fewer points the following season and has one of the best defenses of the last 30 seasons according to football outsiders DVOA. I remember top WRs had a history of having HUGE games against his teams 

Unlike the 2000 Ravens and the 2002 Bucs, the 1991 Eagles didn't get to build a legend with a dominating Super Bowl victory. The team couldn't get enough out of Jeff Kemp, Brad Goebel and a 32-year-old Jim McMahon to even make it to the playoffs. Nonetheless, the 1991 Eagles were the best defense of the past 30 years

Too bad for the Eagles, the Ravens and Bucs had such great QBs to get them over the hump those years...

On 2/27/2018 at 11:30 AM, CP3MVP said:

1987 Miami Dolphins (+24.4 percent): In case you are wondering how Dan Marino never won a Super Bowl, the Dolphins were dead last in defensive DVOA in 1987. And 1988. And 1989. And 1991.

Not surprising in the least. I especially remember the run defense falling apart in their last two games in 1991. If they would have won one of those, they make the playoffs.

7 hours ago, CP3MVP said:

I'm starting to question much impact did Deion Sanders really have? The defenses in Atlanta were horrible every year particularly against the pass. They actually gave up fewer passing touchdowns the year after he left. He goes to San Francisco a team that had been playing great defense for like 15 years without him and wins a title. He leaves to Dallas and San Fran gives up fewer points the following season and has one of the best defenses of the last 30 seasons according to football outsiders DVOA. I remember top WRs had a history of having HUGE games against his teams 

Deion's impact was for real. The 49ers in 1995 just had an all around good year. Pete Carroll took over for Ray Rhodes, and that might have had something to do with it. The 49ers before 1994 in the championship losses to the Cowboys came up short defensively in those games. They just didn't rise to the challenge. I will say in the 1994 NFC Championship game Irvin had nearly 200 yards with Sanders on him some of the time. So there's that. If Sanders had stayed that 1995 team would have probably been better. 

Also, Sanders wasn't the issue with Atlanta as far as their pass defense was concerned. As great as he is, he's only one player. If you have Charles Dimry and Deion Sanders to throw against, you're going to throw against Dimry the entire time. Or Larry Brown. 

44 minutes ago, sp6488 said:

Too bad for the Eagles, the Ravens and Bucs had such great QBs to get them over the hump those years...

Brad Johnson had a pretty good year in 2002. Ravens didn't have the QB worth a darn, but they had the schedule on their side lol. 

Archived