2018 Vikings Draft Prospects - Secondary

swede700

45 minutes ago, JDBrocks said:

Jettisoning good young players for comp picks isn’t a good idea. Idk when future comp picks became more valuable than present performance of known quantities.

Delaying the Waynes decision has more positives then negatives & lowers the risk IMO

Pick up option: higher risk losing more important players. If want to move on from him after 2019, he'll need to be cut with no comp pick coming. Possibly delay CB drafting within top 3 rounds. If Waynes does well, he's under contract.

Decline to pick up option: lower risk losing more important players. If want to move on from him after 2019, he'll qualify for a comp pick. Possibly add CB drafted within top 3 rounds. If Waynes does well, he can be retained & possibly we know what budget is remaining after other better free agents are retained.

You are begging the question though, by assuming that picking up the option brings inherent risk of losing other players. The option can be picked up and then a longer term deal can be negotiated to navigate potential cap issues if he earns it.

You also seem to be assuming that he isn’t going to get any better and won’t be worth the option. 

Another adsumption is that all of the players that we as fans think the Vikings need to retain actually want to stay in Minnesota. Maybe Diggs or Hunter will want to cash in elsewhere, where they can be clear cut #1 guys, instead of sharing statistical success.

again, not everything is black and white.

3 hours ago, CriminalMind said:

Well, technically its both math and possibly the perception of "why should my client take a team friendly deal just because you overpaid an average player"

There's just no evidence of that perception. None. It's a complete misunderstanding of how this works. 

No one signs a "team friendly deal" for a 1st contract extension. Hunter and Diggs have earned pennies on the dollar compared to their contributions so far. They are going to want to get paid, and deservedly so.

The team's best way of keeping their price down is to offer their extensions a year early, so they get paid their signing bonus without having to wait until 2019, protecting against the risk of career altering injury this year.

The main reason good young players sign extensions with their own teams early is security -- money in the bank. Obviously it helps if it's a good team and they like the city and get along with their coaches. And the Vikings do well on all of those points. But the main goal is to land that big contract. The idea of "why are you paying this other guy [a little?] more than he's worth" isn't a thought that's going to cross their minds. It's "how much will I make if I hit free agency next year, and how much less am I willing to accept to get a substantial part of that amount right now, and guaranteed". 

You sometimes see team friendly deals from vets who've already banked a big contract or two and have other considerations in mind -- Brees doesn't want to leave New Orleans, Brady's wife is rich, etc. And some vets sign team-friendly short-term deals with an eye to improving their chances of getting a bigger extension and signing bonus a year later. That's especially true if they're coming off a poor year statistically (like Richardson with his 1 sack last year) or for concerns of injury/attitude/etc (like Wilkerson with the Packers).  But you don't see 23 year old guys with great stats and no long term injury concerns who've been making rookie money signing for less than they're worth just to make the team's life easier somehow. 

Imagine if Teddy had had a chance to sign an extension before his injury. He would've had a megamillion dollar bonus in the bank when his knee blew out. Instead he ended up with $1M guaranteed from the Jets, a lottery prize worth of money lost. That's what's going to be on Diggs' mind. If he wrecks his knee this year, how much money is he leaving on the table? If the Vikings make him a fair offer, he's going to be motivated to sign, no matter what Trae Waynes is making in 2019. 

22 minutes ago, Krauser said:

If the Vikings make him a fair offer, he's going to be motivated to sign, no matter what Trae Waynes is making in 2019. 

We differ on what team friendly means. I'm saying non-top 5 positional contracts.

I would like the Vikings to offer non top 5 positional contracts to Diggs\Barr\Hunter\Richardson before potentially not having enough funds do so, due to Waynes 5th year on the books. Hence I wound delay the 5th year option for Waynes

8 hours ago, CriminalMind said:

Yes, I must need some coffee, though it shows that Alexander is the best Viking CB according to passing rating, not X.

We all know that Xavier is our best cornerback (likely by far) ... is there a metric that actually shows this, and shows where the other 3 are in relation to other CBs

He also was covering the 3rd or 4th best receivers also.

10 hours ago, rpmwr19 said:

^^

That's not always the case

Not always the case. Most likely the number 1 receiver isn’t lined up in the slot. I realize some players do. But just in our own division he was covering some no named Bears slot receiver 2 games, Packers didn’t really have much of a slot threat last year, and Tate for the Lions, who actually played a lot outside.

Rhodes basically followed the #1 receivers if they were a true threat almost against every team. Wayne’s usually got stuck with a guy with speed. 

• 4 weeks later...

Have guys done a deeper dive lately on some of these DBs? As I'm thinking about how they've structured roster moves, allowing most DBs a year or two to develop if necessary before rushing them to PT, now might be the time to draft a corner fairly early. Whether or not they pick up Waynes' option, there's still one year before a rookie this year would need to be rushed in on the outside. Maybe that ends up going to Mac, but I'm not completely ruling out CB as a fairly early draft pick.

Archived