2018 Vikings Draft Prospects - Secondary

swede700

I expect one of our top 2 picks to be a CB. Within two years this team will likely be without Newman and one of Waynes or Alexanader, if not both. 

With as much as Zimmer demands from his CBs, and how long it seems to take them to develop to the point Zimmer wants, it’s a position that carries a high value, and therefor a high need with this team. 

I wouldn’t be shocked to see a late round CB added as well. 

Also keep in mind that the Vikings reportedly had interest in Bryce Callahan, and signing him would not cost them any draft picks due to the low round tender the Bears gave him. I doubt that we will see the Vikings draft a CB early.

If the Vikings are/were interested in Bryce Callahan, that would indicate that they view CB as an area of weakness on the roster and, therefor, an area of need. 

If they don’t add someone in FA, why would you see it as doubtful that they’d address the position early?

They just have so many high picks invested in the position. 3 guys from the first two rounds of the draft means that another 1st or 2nd rounder is likely not going to see the field very often. I see cb as a position where they can look for a guy that meets the athletic thresholds later in the draft, and Zimmer/Gray work to groom him into a top three corner of they lose Waynes or Alexander.

Additionally, adding depth doesn’t mean they see it as a position of weakness. They seem to be working very hard to maintain maximum flexibility come draft day. Especially with the limited number of picks this year.

This I can see being a round 2 or round 3 need ... with round 1 still being OL need.

Haven't heard anything about Newman, Alexander has been average?, and Waynes has been average? ... factor in what salary CB demand on the open market ... and I can see us moving on from Waynes after his contract, definitely wont be worth the "going free agency rate" of CBs.

It really doesn't matter to me how many picks we invested in at X position group .. I care about the likely future output and likely future cost.

At some point Zimmer the CB whisperer needs to develop a CB he trusts enough to play despite being drafted outside the top 50. 

Crazy to think about investing another high draft pick in a position where we have 3 guys taken in the top 50, all healthy and playing at or near expectations. How many teams have a comparable or better top 3 CBs, with all 3 guys under 30 and signed for at least 2 more years? Why would we spend the first round pick on a guy whose only route to starting before year 3 is benching or trading Waynes or Alexander?

Meanwhile the OL has exactly one top 100 pick in the last 5 drafts, and he was taken 70th. Their current starters include 3 former UDFAs, and only one guy drafted in the top 50.

Replacing Waynes is a need for 2020, not this year. They can add depth this year with a later pick or two and then use a high pick again in 2019.

Agreed.  I don't see any reason to draft another CB high in the draft.  Maybe they'll use one of the later picks and develop one, but the high picks should be used on building depth on the lines and also maybe an eventual replacement for Rudolph.  

9 hours ago, Klomp said:

You make it sound like our defense was horrible last year. Not saying it was great or that we don't need to add more depth, but I think this is an overreaction.

I am not sure how I made it sound like our defense was horrible.  You seem to take my statements and twist them.

I also don't see how it was an overreaction when exactly that happened in the playoffs.  Rhodes goes out and Thomas burns Newman for a touchdown.  Same thing happened when he went out against the Eagles with Jeffery faking him out and scoring.  You need 3 starting caliber corners but right now we have 2 and our depth doesn't exist.  Newman has regressed as expected due to age, Waynes is now a full time starter and can no longer backup Rhodes, Alexander hasn't worked out that well as a Munnerlyn replacement.  The team simply cannot keep depending on a 39 year old player to be the fallback option when a player struggles or an injury occurs.

How many teams have 3 starting caliber corners? How many teams have a 3rd best corner who's clearly better than Alexander? 

Alexander wasn't bad last year, the first year where he actually got to play. 3rd best passer rating allowed in the NFL on coverage snaps from the slot, and middle of the pack on most other stats (yards per cover snap etc). It's fair to expect him to have a bigger role in 2018, and to play better. 

They do need depth, but Newman for one more year would be fine as a CB4 this time (again, as good or better than most teams have at that level of depth). 

The Vikings had the 2nd best passing defense in the league with their current group plus Newman. They only gave up 13 passing TDs last year, and only 8 of them were in coverage by CBs (3 for Waynes, 2 each for Newman and Rhodes, 1 for Brock in garbage time vs the Bucs, none for Alexander).

I don't see the pressing need.  

16 minutes ago, Klomp said:

At the same time, most of our roster is void of pressing needs.

Well, there's the offensive line. We need at least one, maybe 2 new starters in the draft this year. I think we'd better take one of them in the 1st round. 

Anyway, this is the secondary thread. Who'd be good to draft in round 3 or later, who could play slot CB?

Recent succesful slot CBs from outside the top 2 rounds: 

2017: Desmond King (5th round), Xavier Woods (6th)

2016: Kendall Fuller (3rd), Maurice Canady (7th), Brien Boddy-Calhoun (UDFA)

2015: Josh Shaw (4th), Quandre Diggs (6th), Bryce Callahan (UDFA), Justin Coleman (UDFA)

Who's the next guy to join that list?

Archived