Limiting Pass Interference Penalties To A Max Of 15 Yards

gopherwrestler

I think people overblow how much DB's tackling WR's would happen. Would it happen from time to time? I'm Sure. But it wouldn't happen so often that it would break the game.

Also: 15 yards is nothing to scoff at either. People are really undervaluing how much of an impact a 15-yard penalty can have.

The DB would have to (in a split-second)

1) Realize that they are beat

2) Calculate the risk-reward factor in their head

3) Be in a position to make a tackle anyways, which often isn't the case if they are really beat.

It would honestly just be another element of strategy to the game tbh.

49 minutes ago, Bolts223 said:

I think people overblow how much DB's tackling WR's would happen. Would it happen from time to time? I'm Sure. But it wouldn't happen so often that it would break the game.

Also: 15 yards is nothing to scoff at either. People are really undervaluing how much of an impact a 15-yard penalty can have.

The DB would have to (in a split-second)

1) Realize that they are beat

2) Calculate the risk-reward factor in their head

3) Be in a position to make a tackle anyways, which often isn't the case if they are really beat.

It would honestly just be another element of strategy to the game tbh.

Exactly, it happens in college but it isnt like it happens all the time 

2 hours ago, gopherwrestler said:

Well I can see why packers fans don’t want it changed. Would basically have to change half their offensive scheme with Rodgers tbh...

Literally what I thought while reading his comment.  Rodgers is literally the biggest culprit of abusing the current ruleset.  It actually is really disgusting and unsportmanlike IMHO.

4 hours ago, gopherwrestler said:

Well I can see why packers fans don’t want it changed. Would basically have to change half their offensive scheme with Rodgers tbh...

What? First off, I just said I wanted it changed. Second, we rarely get DPIs. DPIs are common amongst teams that have QBs that throw inaccurate deep balls or like the throw 50/50 balls for their WRs to make a play. Rodgers never throws a 50/50 ball, he throws back shoulder ( a route that rarely gets DPI) and he's insanely accurate.

This post doesn't make sense.

2 hours ago, Super4 said:

Literally what I thought while reading his comment.  Rodgers is literally the biggest culprit of abusing the current ruleset.  It actually is really disgusting and unsportmanlike IMHO.

Have you ever watched a Packer game? Obviously not.

Are we talking about offsides or 12 men on the field? I thought we were talking DPI.

2 hours ago, Super4 said:

Can you elaborate on what you mean by Rodgers' abuse of the ruleset? I'm not a Packers fan btw, I'm just genuinely intrigued by your comment and would like to hear what you mean in full so I can mull it over, too.

18 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

Have you ever watched a Packer game? Obviously not.

Are we talking about offsides or 12 men on the field? I thought we were talking DPI.

Riveting argument.  Clearly I haven't watched a Packer game, even the ones where they would play my favorite team either.  And yes, I'm talking about all of it.  His abuse of the 12 men on the field rule, in hopes of of a deep ball catch or DPI call, in particular.

FWIW, while Green Bay is usually in the top 10 or so DPI calls for, they are seldom way up there or out of the norm with the exception of 2015, when they were third behind Pitt and Arizona (both prolific downfield offenses). 

In 2016, tied for 9th with several other teams. 

In 2014, tied for 7th. 

In 2013, tied for 16th. 

In 2012, tied for 8th. 

Last year, without A-rod for most of the season, they were tied for 8th. 

53 minutes ago, Super4 said:

Riveting argument.  Clearly I haven't watched a Packer game, even the ones where they would play my favorite team either.  And yes, I'm talking about all of it.  His abuse of the 12 men on the field rule, in hopes of of a deep ball catch or DPI call, in particular.

Abuse? Ha. It's just all part of his greatness.

As pointed out earlier, we're usually somewhere between 8-16 in DPI against. I would bet we're top 5 in pass attempts with Rodgers playing a full year, so we don't get more DPIs per pass than the league average. 

Just now, Packerraymond said:

Abuse? Ha. It's just all part of his greatness.

As pointed out earlier, we're usually somewhere between 8-16 in DPI against. I would bet we're top 5 in pass attempts with Rodgers playing a full year, so we don't get more DPIs per pass than the league average. 

It's the manner in which he gets them, which is often, abusing the ruleset.  I'm not saying it's illegal or not smart, but it's bushleague and really trashy.  It's like you and I making a deal, and you say you'll loan me $5, as long as I pay you back.  Then when it comes time to collect, I tell you I agreed.. but I never specified "when"...

15 is not good enough if it would have been a TD.  Your just asking for penalties to happen at this point.  The problem is the Refs stink and make bad calls all the time which changes the out come of the game.  We need a team of 3 refs that watch TV like we do at home that can overturn ANY penalty in the game.  I really hate calls that cannot be challenged what a joke.

I would say maybe I could get behind this if lets say it was 25 yards because I do agree on how teams will pick on a player and just throw 50 yard bombs going for the penalty set up.

Also I would like to add there are some penalties that the yardage changed needs to be increased. 

helmet to helmet hits that would appear to be intentional or dirty play should be an ejection from the game. Technically targeting already has this but often is not enforced.  If you care about your players and concussions then enforce the dang rules.

Offensive holding should be 5 yards.

Roughing the kicker, blatant foul should include ejection from game.  You can seriously hurt someone when one leg is up like that and I have seen to many nasty hits.

Running into the kicker should be the same penalty.  

Archived