Cowboys off season - training camp is almost here!!!

WizardHawk

http://www.dallascowboys.com/news/2018/05/11/scout’s-eye-notes-observations-first-walkthroughs-rookie-minicamp

I have never seen this drill, but Sanjay Lal had his receivers running at half speed, stopping and then balancing on one foot. The player then holds that pose for a second before continuing down the field two more steps and then balancing on the other foot before finishing the route with an over the shoulder catch. Once the players got the hang of it, their balance improved. Before that guys were falling to the side or having to put their hand on the ground to keep upright.

11 hours ago, buddy_z34 said:

Kyle Quiero lining up at LB hmm thats interesting. He surely lacks the speed an range which is why i thought he could be an in the box strong safety. Im liking the move though. 

It’s too early to care. Most of these guys won’t make the team, so I can’t get invested until training camp at the earliest.

24 minutes ago, DaBoys said:

Our DT spot looks like **** on paper

Be interested to see if they try to add anyone. I know they value versatility and perhaps with Ealy onboard and Gregory back they can shift Crawford primarily back inside, but a stouter player would be nice. With more bulk and upper body push who can still be versatile enough to rotate on the nose and the under man.

31 minutes ago, atran35 said:

Why won't they go after HANKINS??? I don't get ROD using undersize 1 technique. Collins excelled at 3. Anyone???

The way his "nose" is utilized he does not really make use of a classic nose tackle/1 technique player. Both Tackles inside lineup where they have a good alignment to attack and penetrate.

While the DT who plays closest to the nose spot does often see the double team and has to play in a single technique on earlier, high-run percentage downs, this system wants both tackles to be able to go and get downfield and be penetrating players. That is why Collins and Irving made a good rotation. 

If you want a classic oversized load that cant be moved, you have Ash and Price for that on the early downs to play over the nose. 

While this isnt some "wide 9" concept, the way they lineup here doesnt specifically require some 340 pound behemoth. The linebackers and robber safety chase the runner. The DL penetrates. Thats been Marinelli's calling card for as long as I can remember. It was Monte Kiffin who had the line play tighter and utilized a nose guard, not Rod.

If this defense were being obliterated by the run year after year, or was showing no improvement in the pass rush..id see your complaint and raise it by 3. But this D, when Lee was healthy, did fine against the run for 2 to 3 years now. And the oass rush has steadily improved.

So what are you seeing, or not seeing, that you feel so strongly the team needs a behemoth nose guard?

Some fun techniques some of the coaches are using:

http://www.dallascowboys.com/news/2018/05/12/scout’s-eye-new-coaching-techniques-display-during-saturday’s-walkthroughs

I am sure there is a cool name for this drill from receivers coach Sanjay Lal, but I am going to call it “The Ski Jumper.” Lal had Michael Gallup stand straight up and then fall forward over the tops of his toes like a ski jumper. Once extended, Lal then let him go. By doing this, it forced Gallup to step forward to regain his balance and pivot inside on the curl. It was an interesting teaching technique in order to get Gallup to feel his weight transfer to make the cut.

2 hours ago, atran35 said:

Why won't they go after HANKINS??? I don't get ROD using undersize 1 technique. Collins excelled at 3. Anyone???

Dallas doesn't like him. Never have. They like their 1Ts to have 3T qualities, which Hankins does not possess. 

18 hours ago, Dallas94Ware said:

The way his "nose" is utilized he does not really make use of a classic nose tackle/1 technique player. Both Tackles inside lineup where they have a good alignment to attack and penetrate.

While the DT who plays closest to the nose spot does often see the double team and has to play in a single technique on earlier, high-run percentage downs, this system wants both tackles to be able to go and get downfield and be penetrating players. That is why Collins and Irving made a good rotation. 

If you want a classic oversized load that cant be moved, you have Ash and Price for that on the early downs to play over the nose. 

While this isnt some "wide 9" concept, the way they lineup here doesnt specifically require some 340 pound behemoth. The linebackers and robber safety chase the runner. The DL penetrates. Thats been Marinelli's calling card for as long as I can remember. It was Monte Kiffin who had the line play tighter and utilized a nose guard, not Rod.

If this defense were being obliterated by the run year after year, or was showing no improvement in the pass rush..id see your complaint and raise it by 3. But this D, when Lee was healthy, did fine against the run for 2 to 3 years now. And the oass rush has steadily improved.

So what are you seeing, or not seeing, that you feel so strongly the team needs a behemoth nose guard?

Here's what I see:

Rod uses his DTs, both of them, to try and get up field. You can actually see them 2 or 3 times a series run a stunt or twist, and completely swap attack points after the snap. You need quicker, more agile DTs to do that. As you pointed out though, there is a guy who takes on 2 OL most of the time. And the idea is to get someone who is stout enough to hold up in the run but keep up with the twists and uphold the quick penetrating upfield rush. Those guys are few and far between. So what ends up happening is we opt for the undersized guy who gives us a decent pass rush but we get victimized against the run. So we pull our "rush 1Tech" out and substitute a guy like Ash in. And because we won't invest in the position unless a unicorn who can do both falls(Vita Vea), we end up with an average pass rush 1Tech(Collins) and a below average run down 1Tech(Ash). Then justify our mediocrity by saying the position doesn't matter. 

It's like a rock in our shoe. It isn't killing us to have Richard Ash in the game, but damn it would make a noticeable difference to get a dancing bear in the game. Not just a big bear. Not just someone who can dance. But a unicorn that can do both.

That's why I think they really looked hard at Vea.

17 hours ago, WizardHawk said:

Dallas doesn't like him. Never have. They like their 1Ts to have 3T qualities, which Hankins does not possess. 

If we are incredibly thin a the DT that is going to hinder our ability to perform the scheme we like. And we are unable to find the people yo effectively run it. Then we should bring in people we can use and adjust the scheme accordingly to suit our personnel until we can find the pieces to do what we want. 

If they don't change at all. I will assume they can perform efficiently with the people they have. But if they are being stubborn and short sighted then they deserve another top 5 or top 3 pick with extra strain that gets put on Jerry's heart after every loss. Remember when Billicheck was the 3-4 mastermind? And he now switches back and forth between 43 and 34 or w/e suits his team year in and year out? No wonder they compete every year.

3 hours ago, DaBoys said:

Here's what I see:

Rod uses his DTs, both of them, to try and get up field. You can actually see them 2 or 3 times a series run a stunt or twist, and completely swap attack points after the snap. You need quicker, more agile DTs to do that. As you pointed out though, there is a guy who takes on 2 OL most of the time. And the idea is to get someone who is stout enough to hold up in the run but keep up with the twists and uphold the quick penetrating upfield rush. Those guys are few and far between. So what ends up happening is we opt for the undersized guy who gives us a decent pass rush but we get victimized against the run. So we pull our "rush 1Tech" out and substitute a guy like Ash in. And because we won't invest in the position unless a unicorn who can do both falls(Vita Vea), we end up with an average pass rush 1Tech(Collins) and a below average run down 1Tech(Ash). Then justify our mediocrity by saying the position doesn't matter. 

It's like a rock in our shoe. It isn't killing us to have Richard Ash in the game, but damn it would make a noticeable difference to get a dancing bear in the game. Not just a big bear. Not just someone who can dance. But a unicorn that can do both.

That's why I think they really looked hard at Vea.

We were not victimized against the run though the last several years. We were actually pretty good vs the run the last few seasons as long as Lee was out there to chase the ball. With Jaylon healthier and LVE on board, that should really only improve - regardless of the interior DL, whos job is.NOT to keep the Mike clean but to attack the gaps and get into the backfield.

In this scheme, your Mike falls off the line to cover or attack the interior run, and your OLBs chase the ball. Theres very little reliance on the DL to stop the run in RM's defense.

Archived