Cowboys off season - training camp is almost here!!!

WizardHawk

14 hours ago, canadaluvsdallas said:

Atleast we know Dak can produce with players around him.

We could've been like the Texans/Broncos with Osweiler.

I mean what are we trying to prove here? we can win ball games or who has the best young QB ?

I didn't say we couldn't win, and if you'll scroll up, I didn't start this Dak debate. I was being a good boy and someone started in on me. 

Do we have the best young QB? No. Do we have the best QB? No. Do we have an Andy Dalton? Yes. Do we have a poor man's Russell Wilson? Yes. Are both of those options better than Osweiler, Matt Cassell, or Weeden? Yes.

Will we NEED Zeke and our OL to be in tip top shape for Dak to be remotely effective? Obviously.

7 minutes ago, DaBoys said:

Greater than or less than?

Getting into some semantics here, so let me rephrase.

We're entering into the 3rd season of Dak's career. He looked amazing his rookie season and performed far better than anyone could have predicted for a 4th round draft pick coming into the league out of Mississippi State and a non-pro style offense. His 2nd year he definitely had some bad games and didn't perform at the level we were hoping to see. 

That said - look at his record, look at the games he completely took over in 2016, look at the way his teammates respect him and follow him. He certainly deserves criticism for the faults he displayed last year, but I think if you're trying to say Dak is never going to be better than a game manager - I'm not sure I'd agree with that. He's shown that he can play at a level beyond that, and I'd lean toward placing his struggles on a "sophomore slump" and losing two All-Pro players and having his best wide out playing injured most of the year. 

Now, it remains to be seen whether his confidence is shaken at all by those poorer performances from 2017 and if they will effect his development. If they do, than I think ultimately he won't progress beyond the level of say an Andy Dalton. A guy who's above average but never capable of leading a team to a championship unless he ends up with an amazing supporting cast. If they don't, which is what I'm leaning toward, I believe Dak is the guy who can lead this team to multiple championships. 

3 hours ago, Desperado82 said:

I don't know that I'd call Dak a Dalton/lesser Wilson right now. 

Dalton is a complete manager of an offense. Smart, good delivery, but he lacks any ofnthose traits that elevate a team or player.

Dalton cannot do what Dak did several times his rookie year. Dalton cannot do what Dak did even in the games he got beaten up abd threw multiple picks. Dalton doesnt out gun Big Ben in that back and forth 4th qtr. Dalton doesnt out run 3 defenders to the end zone for the game winner. Dalton doesnt escape two sacks to find Dez in the corner for another game winner.

To call Dak a Dalton is insulting. @DaBoys im shocked at you. A wag of the finger my friend, a wag of the finger. Daks got his issues, but has more winning ability in his feet than Dalton has in his whole body.

Also, let it be known, I LIKE ANDY DALTON. He is a throwback to the days when being smart and delivering on time mattered more than a huge cannon arm or an ability to scramble. He is accurate to boot. But hes not that guy you want trying to rally you with a minute to go. You may say Dak isnt either, but I can name 4 or 5 games in just a single season in which Dak did just that. Andnwith a minute or three to go, thats not Zeke throwing the ball 7 times on the drive.

When has Dak not played with an all star cast? When Tyron missed 8 or 13 games last year? So why would you say he has shown he can win without one? Or that he has earned a right to be better than Dalton?

Also, I don't think it should be a slap in the face to be compared to Andy Dalton, or a somewhat lesser version of a super bowl champion Wilson. Cowboys fans are spoiled. If I don't compare Dak to Brady it's insult.  

The same people that pop off about Dez not having a 100 yard game will be the same ones who tell me stats don't matter when I point out Dak has 3 CAREER 300 yard games.

But he is light years beyond Dalton.

7 minutes ago, Dallas94Ware said:

Those final few throws were perfectly placed. In those last few minutes Dak had to throw it, often, and it had to be perfect.

Yes him going 3/5 with the game on the line for 28 yards to Witten(2 catches for 18) and Beasley(1 for 10) was certainly more impressive than Zekes 32 yard game winning run.

Dak certainly isn't on Brady's level - yet. 

I don't so much mind the lesser Russel Wilson comment...as I think Wilson has been a fairly favorable comparison for Dak. I think that's the type of player he will mature into it, and hopefully we see that this year. 

5 minutes ago, DaBoys said:

Yes him going 3/5 with the game on the line for 28 yards to Witten(2 catches for 18) and Beasley(1 for 10) was certainly more impressive than Zekes 32 yard game winning run.

That was ONE drive. There were several in the final few minutes man.

24 minutes ago, DaBoys said:

When has Dak not played with an all star cast? When Tyron missed 8 or 13 games last year? So why would you say he has shown he can win without one? Or that he has earned a right to be better than Dalton?

Also, I don't think it should be a slap in the face to be compared to Andy Dalton, or a somewhat lesser version of a super bowl champion Wilson. Cowboys fans are spoiled. If I don't compare Dak to Brady it's insult.  

The same people that pop off about Dez not having a 100 yard game will be the same ones who tell me stats don't matter when I point out Dak has 3 CAREER 300 yard games.

But he is light years beyond Dalton.

Dak doesnt need 300 yarders and Dez doesnt need 100 yarders. The offense was built to run.

All star cast eh? Last year when the line.play was average at its best? Martin, Fredrick, worst years of their career. Collins? Atrocious for 8 or 9 weeks, bad for 2-3 more, then acceptably better the last few. Dez? Didnt look all pro to me, nor his stat line, nor to thenstaff who cut him. That D? Better than in 2016, but not an all star cast.

Unless you mean 2016. Which, lets see...

The D was hit and miss. Barely a help. Dez? Missed a a few games and wasnt great productively. Beasley was his best option and id hardly call him elite. Zeke and the OL? Sure. All stars, because the team was built that way. That doesnt diminish what Dak did.

Does Brady get diminished for being benched in the conference game for Bledsoe and playing like trash vs St Louis, letting his D stacked with hall of fame caliber defenders hold the greatest show on turf to a measley 300ish yards? Or how about how his star receivers, one of which was traded for a first and second round selection, bailed him out of a TERRIBLE game against Jake Delhommes Panthers, again letting his D abuse Delhomme for the win? Or do we credit him with the SB victories he was part of, whether or not his team relied on him to carry the burden or was built in another way for those wins?

Zeke has carried this team for 2 years straight. End of story. We live by him and die by him. You have absolutely zero proof that we can win without Zeke and this OL. Bringing up Tom Brady as a guy who needs support is beyond dumb. He wins with 100s of different WRs, RBs, and OL. His starting tackle last year is now our backup. 

I understand Dak was 19th in passing yards and tied with Blake Bortles for 15th in passing TDs during his rookie year, but those sparkling elite stats are misleading. I actually think Dak is much closer to average. 

Archived