Cowboys off season - training camp is almost here!!!

WizardHawk

11 minutes ago, WizardHawk said:

Crawford's contract numbers make it impossible to justify cutting him this year. It simply doesn't create enough space.  

And I wasn't saying it was possible (although we could post-June 1 and use that for the draft class). Rather, the fact that it's not possible is a problem.

I think Mayowa is better than Crawford at rushing the passer and it isn't really close. I think they took out Mayowa and put in Crawford because they couldn't stop the run. I think they couldn't stop the run because they don't believe in true NTs.  So the result is populating our edge with a guy that is solid at both but great at nothing.

But we have to make our decisions based on our ****ty contracts and not based on talent, age, potential and things that go into winning games.

Don't get me wrong, Mayowa isn't a savoir but it sucks to see a more talented guy walk when we gave $45M to a bum. The more things change the more they stay the same.

And be honest, who here LOVED the Crawford contract when it was signed? No body. Because it looked like a stupid deal.

26 minutes ago, matt79511 said:

And I wasn't saying it was possible (although we could post-June 1 and use that for the draft class). Rather, the fact that it's not possible is a problem.

I did forget about the post 6-1 option. That I could actually see happening. 

On 3/7/2018 at 8:30 PM, Texas_OutLaw7 said:

We save significantly more by Cutting Mayowa.

Also, @matt79511Crawford offers flexibility. He can play 3, possibly 4 spots on the DL. With him, you save on a potential roster spot as you can play him almost anywhere.

I also believe he gets a bad rap because we expected more when he was paid. Truth be told, he is always fighting, penetrating, and has a knack for holding the edge against the run. And if we moved him around a little more, the potential matchups we could put him into that favor him would be a nice little wrinkle.

I want more, but he is neither a true DT nor a true DE - he is a good lineman nonetheless.

10 hours ago, Dallas94Ware said:

Also, @matt79511Crawford offers flexibility. He can play 3, possibly 4 spots on the DL. With him, you save on a potential roster spot as you can play him almost anywhere.

I also believe he gets a bad rap because we expected more when he was paid. Truth be told, he is always fighting, penetrating, and has a knack for holding the edge against the run. And if we moved him around a little more, the potential matchups we could put him into that favor him would be a nice little wrinkle.

I want more, but he is neither a true DT nor a true DE - he is a good lineman nonetheless.

I mean, I guess. We already have D-Law and Taco at left end and Collins and Irving for under tackle. I don't think I've ever seen play nose, maybe situationally on some passing downs.

It just seems like a square peg/round hole situation at right end. His best assets are his versatility and effort, and I've felt for a while those traits would be best served coming off the bench, sort of like the Vikings do with Brian Robison. But that's just not something this team has the balls to do with a team captain in his "prime" on a long-term veteran contract.

16 hours ago, romo2bryant said:

One thing I notice is, it seems like the rams/eagles are trying to take advantage of having a QB on a rookie salary. 

Such an underrated comment. The Cowboys are penny pinching while our opponents are making trades and trying to win now, before they have to pay their QBs.

The Cowboys F.O. is so frustrating smh

On 3/8/2018 at 8:21 PM, romo2bryant said:

One thing I notice is, it seems like the rams/eagles are trying to take advantage of having a QB on a rookie salary. 

We aren't in the same situation because we paid Romo $10M of our cap last year and I think $8.9M this year. So we have a QB on a rookie deal and we have a QB in the booth. Both count against the cap. When our ex starter is off the books then we can start to take advantage of what's left of Daks accelerating contract if he is still considered a good QB by then. The FO is frustrating because they signed a 32 year old QB to a $108M 6 year deal. A contract that seemed ambitious to say the least, and had no escape plan if the unthinkable happened and Romo cratered at 35.

Archived