Cowboys off season - training camp is almost here!!!

WizardHawk

5 minutes ago, DaBoys said:

Richard Ash played the nose. As the starter. For most of the season. That's a fact. Not an opinion. 

The NFL's official website lists Maliek Collins as having started 16 games for the Cowboys last year, and Richard Ash 2.

Idk what a fact is anymore tbh

16 minutes ago, matt79511 said:

Collins was 1st on the defensive line in snaps played as a rookie with 656, 2nd last year with 688.

It would be wrong to suggest he got benched for Richard Ash, but not wrong to suggest he could use a little more of a breather, seeing as he failed to record a sack after Week 3 last year. I don't see how he profiles as a primary 1-tech, not even in this scheme, and he's broken his foot twice in two years. I think you'd see better per-snap productivity from him as the 3rd DT, if we could find a more reliable option to man the nose, which doesn't seem like a priority for this team.

Thank you -

While Ash started games, it does not by any means mean "as the starter he played all game and Collins.never played the nose"

Given the amount of time time Collins had on field, its crazy to think he was "benched" or didnt play the one. He jjst wasnt opening every game after Irving returned.

46 minutes ago, matt79511 said:

The NFL's official website lists Maliek Collins as having started 16 games for the Cowboys last year, and Richard Ash 2.

Idk what a fact is anymore tbh

Ok... let's try this: I think we can at least agree that while others rotated at least a little, that WHEN Ash played he played exclusively at the 1. Never as the rushman.  Agree?

Can we also agree that we use a lighter, pass rush set on 3rd(or pass) downs, moving bigger DEs inside, and taking the 1 tech and Sam(If he isn't off already) off the field? That has been a staple of Marinelli. So we maybe only use a true 1 tech 50 maybe 60% of the time? 

Well according to this:

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/A/AshxRi00/fantasy/2017

After week 5 Richard Ash was playing 40-50% of the snaps. Now how did Richard Ash ever play 50% of the total snaps if we only use a true 1 tech on early downs, and he wasn't the starter?

Is it possible to come off the bench as a backup to a run down only position and still play half the snaps? I would think not.

On 3/14/2018 at 8:12 PM, Texas_OutLaw7 said:

Seattle is rebuilding and have no plans on signing ET to his long term contract. They can go kick rocks, I'm not giving up a second either. Earl can come willingly next year. 

Yup. I wouldn’t even answer the phone until Seattle lowers the asking price to a 4th.

You want us to give up a 2nd or 3rd round pick for an undersized safety who will be 29 by camp, and then turn around and pay him a massive contract? I’m supposed to give that up so we have him for one year before he turns 30?  

This is the epitome of SEA trying to get rid of a player “one year too early, instead of one year too late,” because they know better than to sign him to a deal that ties them to him into his thirties. Hopefully we’re  not actually stupid enough to oblige and saddle ourselves with that burden.

The fact that some people are entertaining this with pick 50 is insane.

7 minutes ago, BigD88 said:

The fact that some people are entertaining this with pick 50 is insane.

It's probably not prudent, and a better organization wouldn't do it... but say the 2nd rounder gets us another Jaylon Smith and the 8 figure salary slot otherwise belongs to Dez or Witten + Crawford

Is ET not worth more than those guys? I get the concern about paying an aging safety, but Thomas is the rare, cerebral, almost perfect football player that should age gracefully. A 3 year deal that pays out all the guarantees in his age 29, 30, and 31 seasons doesn't bother me so much. There's ways to make it work. You just have to have some willingness to part with a couple of guys I listed earlier this year or next.

Again, is anyone giving up a premium pick and $30M+ guaranteed to a 29 year old safety? I don't know. But is complacency getting this team anywhere? I don't think so. I think suggesting we don't need to trade for ET because we'll just sign him next year is about as arrogant as thinking we don't need him at all because we have Xavier Woods. If the cost ends up being a 2nd (or a 3rd and a 5th) and extension, I think someone ends up doing it. He's still that good.

Great reply to daily emails by David Helman on why Dallas hasnt gone out to spend on a DT.

David: If the season started today, the Cowboys’ starting duo would be Maliek Collins and David Irving. I feel pretty good about that. Of course, we have to wait and see if anyone else is interested in Irving. I said earlier this week I would have loved to trade for Danny Shelton. It’d be great if they could find themselves a space-eater in this draft, but I’m not convinced they value the one-technique as much as the rest of us want them to.

Like I said..Collins and Irving inside, rotating nose and under spots as they have. With Price and whomever else giving them a breather at the nose now and then. And yes, that is IRVING AND COLLINS inside, @Da Boyz (error i cant delete it either i meant to put @DaBoys ) :P

And i do agree id have loved that move for Shelton ... hes another one of those fast first step big guys who can play under or nose, except unlike collins and irving, Shelton is a better nose than an underman.

I doubt very much that Fleming is willing to come to Dallas to be their swing tackle, I'm sure the Cowboy's brass evaluated the talent @ the offensive guard position and realized that trying to sign Fleming could be viable to be the new RT and move Collins back to the LG position and draft quality depth for the offensive line this way if Tyron's back flares up you can move Fleming over to LT and put Collins back to RT and use 1 of those quality draft picks to play LG. The Cowboy's already have so much money invested in this offensive line so it didn't make sense for them to shell out more big money for a free agent when you might be able to sign Fleming to a bridge contract until we can develop a swing tackle. Just incase we lose the great Tyron again. Remember Tyron is going into his 9th season and the LT takes a beating so who knows what Tyron has in the tank, after last year when he went down this team tanked. And the Cowboys philosophy is to be Dak friendly is to have a very good run game and give him better protection so he's not on his back side or making bad decisions by rushing the pass. If the Cowboy's were able to sign Fleming it could help them to draft for talent instead of need, helping them set their draft board up better.

I don't mind Hunter or Inman on the same sort of 1 year, low guarantee deal we gave Butler last year. However, it would seem unlikely that either player would make the team over any of Dez/Williams/Beasley/Switzer/Brown/Draft Pick, with the way this team prioritizes in-house players.

Depending on the type of contract they give him, I could see Fleming being insurance in case they don't land somebody like Hernandez or Wynn, especially the latter. They're all about position flex, and should Smith go down - they'd have quite a few options on what to do with Collins, Wynn and Fleming on the roster. 

26 minutes ago, Desperado82 said:

Depending on the type of contract they give him, I could see Fleming being insurance in case they don't land somebody like Hernandez or Wynn, especially the latter. They're all about position flex, and should Smith go down - they'd have quite a few options on what to do with Collins, Wynn and Fleming on the roster. 

That's what I thought as well. Doesn't force them into a certain pick early, but allows them to go that direction if they want.

Archived