Cowboys off season - training camp is almost here!!!

WizardHawk

54 minutes ago, flyingmonkey30 said:

Are the Cowboys planning on having him or would it just be icing? In other words, would they consider a RDE if Davenport or Landry is available? Or do they feel good enough about RG to include him in their future plans?

If Landey is available they should take him. Whatever we get out of RG is a bonus. We cant make roster decisions based on him right now.

1 hour ago, Dallas94Ware said:

This is a bigger move than most will give it credit for. Hannah is a.tough, hard nosed blocker who was an unsung hero in that 2014 campaign. He really had a good bounce back year last year too after his injury. Sad to see him go if thats the case. 

Swaim will really need to step up to the plate.

Rico Suave (yeah, I said it) had better be worth the value we placed on him last year, because we’re going to need serious help at TE very, very soon.

3 minutes ago, plan9misfit said:

Rico Suave (yeah, I said it) had better be worth the value we placed on him last year, because we’re going to need serious help at TE very, very soon.

Witten wants to play until he is 40.

No need for a tight end until then since our coaching staff doesnt have the marbles to take him off the field.

10 minutes ago, plan9misfit said:

Swaim had really shown a knack for blocking. He didnt finish them as consistently as Hannah, but hopefully another year has helped him. He was already learning to run smoother routes, and transitioned nicely into a more complete player in 2016. 2017 he saw the field less with the return of Hannah but hopefully hes learned even more.

Problem with Rico is lost time. The athleticism is there, and we have seen some pretty standout hands on those preseason jump balls. But in this scheme, you arent getting on the field at TE unless you block. I dont know if he has had ample time to.learn with his missed time; and yeah, route running, obviously horendous..although telling him to run straight ahead and outjump everyone for the ball doesnt require much route running ability.

41 minutes ago, plan9misfit said:

This is what I was speaking of a while back in regards to visits/workouts/etc. TE has barely registered a blip in terms of interest. Team is putting an awful lot of faith in Witten, who could hit the wall at any moment. TE could get dicey real quick.

4 minutes ago, WizardHawk said:

This is what I was speaking of a while back in regards to visits/workouts/etc. TE has barely registered a blip in terms of interest. Team is putting an awful lot of faith in Witten, who could hit the wall at any moment. TE could get dicey real quick.

Dont shy away from Swaim and Jarwin. Both have shown versatility and capable blocking. Dont need a premium pick at the spot when we have been bringing these kids along for a while now. The system doesnt emphasize the TE as it once did when we were spreading the field and letting Witten work the hashes. We need blockers helping maintain the edge and pulling around to eliminate the LB on the stretch. Both kids have shown they can do this.

While I do think a quality young TE would be a fine addition given Wittens age, I dont see it as a need in any form. Swaim and Jarwin can do the job, and Witten has been an iron man, blocking well, catching well, just doesnt quite run the way he used to - but he also no longer needs to. Id hate to see a good pick wasted on a player who can catch but wont see the field because he needs 2 years to learn to block and run option routes. Too many bigger holes on this roster for that to happen. No more Anthony Fasanos, Gavin Escobars and Martellus Bennetts, please.

13 minutes ago, Dallas94Ware said:

Dont shy away from Swaim and Jarwin. Both have shown versatility and capable blocking. Dont need a premium pick at the spot when we have been bringing these kids along for a while now. The system doesnt emphasize the TE as it once did when we were spreading the field and letting Witten work the hashes. We need blockers helping maintain the edge and pulling around to eliminate the LB on the stretch. Both kids have shown they can do this.

While I do think a quality young TE would be a fine addition given Wittens age, I dont see it as a need in any form. Swaim and Jarwin can do the job, and Witten has been an iron man, blocking well, catching well, just doesnt quite run the way he used to - but he also no longer needs to. Id hate to see a good pick wasted on a player who can catch but wont see the field because he needs 2 years to learn to block and run option routes. Too many bigger holes on this roster for that to happen. No more Anthony Fasanos, Gavin Escobars and Martellus Bennetts, please.

Forget about Jarwin, but not going to get my hopes up. As far as  Swaim goes, I think he replaces Hanna without any trouble. Solid blocker and iirc was building a nice little rapport with Dak before injury. 

2 hours ago, flyingmonkey30 said:

Are the Cowboys planning on having him or would it just be icing? In other words, would they consider a RDE if Davenport or Landry is available? Or do they feel good enough about RG to include him in their future plans?

I would think Dallas has to account for DLaw too. $18-20m/yr is getting pretty stiff for a non-QB. 

Archived