Cowboys off season - training camp is almost here!!!

WizardHawk

5 minutes ago, WizardHawk said:

I have no idea what to make of this team or what they are doing.

Is this supposed to be a bad move?  If you think so, then I have no idea what to make of this forum and what we’re doing.

2 minutes ago, Super4 said:

Is this supposed to be a bad move?  If you think so, then I have no idea what to make of this forum and what we’re doing.

I think WH is concerned because Sam LB only plays 30% of the time, Hitchens is supposed to leave for green pastures, and Lee is brittle and aging.

Who the hell is going to play LB for us if Smith moves to SAM?

The SAM in our defense is an important spot but there is so much nickel defense being played in the NFL. Often times you only have two linebackers out on the field, so you want to give him more than just that role. He might be a SAM in base but you want to make sure he has a role when we’re playing our two linebacker defense as well.”

That's easier said than done. If Jaylon Smith moves to Sam and can't work onto the field in nickle then you have your 34th overall pick stuck at a throw away spot. That's bad business.

Plus, Dallas hasn't had much success moving people to a new spot every year. 

Although, it sounds like WH may get his wish and Hitchens could be retained. 

SAM plays closer to 10% of the snaps these days than 30% tbh

I guess this could be taken as a sign that they’re gonna bring back Hitchens or pay a premium for some other MIKE, and use Jaylon as more of a blitzer. Otherwise I don’t get it.

So...keep Hitchens, who while a good player is not worth what he's likely asking for and move Jaylon to a position we rarely use after spending a 2nd round pick on him? Yeah...

On phone so will make short...theory on retaining Hitch is Dallas is preparing to move on from Lee. Not this season, but next when it saves $7m in cap. Playing Jaylon some at SAM opens up more opportunities to justify paying Hitch. 

2 hours ago, DaBoys said:

I think WH is concerned because Sam LB only plays 30% of the time, Hitchens is supposed to leave for green pastures, and Lee is brittle and aging.

Who the hell is going to play LB for us if Smith moves to SAM?

I mean from this argument yes, I can agree.  I thought we were arguing “bad move” from his skill set.

Ok, I’m goin to take the high road here. I’m going to say this is all smoke. Why would you tip your hand to opponents so early in the offseason. Either this is a offseason smoke screen, or a true indicator that we either want Hitch back or we go after a high MLB in the draft. Jerry is master of smoke screens so I’ll go with that.

Jerry is a master of smoke screens? Since when!? He only tells people exactly what we are doing every year... Last year we wanted a war daddy. We drafted the biggest DE left.  The Cowboys are notorious for being an open book. 

57 minutes ago, DaBoys said:

Jerry is a master of smoke screens? Since when!? He only tells people exactly what we are doing every year... Last year we wanted a war daddy. We drafted the biggest DE left.  The Cowboys are notorious for being an open book. 

One year doesn’t dispute it. It’s been widely known for well over a decade that Jerry uses deception and misdirection when disclosing their plans. 

You can take it as far as far back as Ellis draft. When Jerry was hyping up Moss so much and Moss was convinced he was goin to be a Cowboy. We have opportunity to draft him and boom, we draft Ellis instead. 

Archived