Cowboys off season - training camp is almost here!!!

WizardHawk

12 minutes ago, plan9misfit said:

If this team was smart (it’s not), we’d sign Benny Logan and Allen Robinson and trade for Earl Thomas. We could then focus on anything in the draft.

But we won’t do that. We’ll sit and do nothing.

I agree on trading for Earl Thomas. However, DT and WR are 2 of the deepest positions in the draft, at least in the first 3 or 4 rounds. Logan might come at a decent price but I would rather focus on getting a long term deal done with Zack Martin, Tank and Hitchens with the limited cap space that we have. We simply don't have the money to sign Allen Robinson considering there are teams with $90-$100+ in cap space. With our first 2 picks we have a strong possibility of getting something like Ridley/Chark/Miller/Moore at WR or Vea/Payne/Bryan/Settle at DT and we can get them for multiple years on a rookie contract.

1 hour ago, cboysfaninWI said:

I agree on trading for Earl Thomas. However, DT and WR are 2 of the deepest positions in the draft, at least in the first 3 or 4 rounds. Logan might come at a decent price but I would rather focus on getting a long term deal done with Zack Martin, Tank and Hitchens with the limited cap space that we have. We simply don't have the money to sign Allen Robinson considering there are teams with $90-$100+ in cap space. With our first 2 picks we have a strong possibility of getting something like Ridley/Chark/Miller/Moore at WR or Vea/Payne/Bryan/Settle at DT and we can get them for multiple years on a rookie contract.

None of the WRs in this draft present the value of a guy like Robinson. That being said, I don’t care what our cap situation is compared to other teams. Philly was $8M over the cap and yet they still made moves. Saying that we can’t do something in free agency because other teams have more money is ridiculous. You should always try to make improvements while attempting to keep the contracts reasonable. If they can’t be, then walk away and let someone else overpay. But, make an effort.

Also, I don’t expect us to re-sign Hitchens, and Martin isn’t a free agent until next year, so there’s no need to rush into an extension. That can be done later. Lawrence’s contract extension is the one that matters right now.

14 minutes ago, JWingate said:

I would prefer Paul Richardson over Allen Robinson.

And that’s fair, but I know that you see my point. Make an attempt to improve without going overboard. There’s a happy medium between overpaying (which never ends well for any team) and dumpster diving on the cheap (which has been our approach for the last 3 years). It would be nice if we would make an attempt to find it. Given the volume of DTs available in free agency and the draft, it should (in theory) push the market value of those guys down, so it’s worth investigating.

4 minutes ago, WizardHawk said:

This is really all I ask

Same here. Dumping Dez and his bloated contract gives us the opportunity to pursue a few of these guys, as would getting Lawrence under a long term deal. It’s not like we’re asking to return to the old method of throwing money and terrible contracts at guys. Rather, just sign them to reasonable contracts. Heck, front load them so we can give ourselves the back end security and avoid cap hell. Stop the kick the can down the road crap (like Romo’s absurdly stupid contract) and it’ll work out.

2 hours ago, plan9misfit said:

Probably, but an effort should be made. And not some half-arsed effort; a legit offer. And if we get outbid, so be it.

But are we going to know if we made a legitimate offer or not for anyone unless we get them? I mean, wouldn't it be smart business to put in an offer for a guy, and if he accepts, then find a way to manipulate the cap via cuts, trades, restructures, etc? Rather than cutting Dez with no backup plan in the hopes that we can land Robinson or Watkins, as an example.

1 minute ago, flyingmonkey30 said:

But are we going to know if we made a legitimate offer or not for anyone unless we get them? I mean, wouldn't it be smart business to put in an offer for a guy, and if he accepts, then find a way to manipulate the cap via cuts, trades, restructures, etc? Rather than cutting Dez with no backup plan in the hopes that we can land Robinson or Watkins, as an example.

Good question. I don’t see losing Dez as any substantial loss at this point. He doesn’t command double teams anymore, can’t get open, and drops everything under the sun. Because our coaching staff has no clue as to how to create schemes to get him open (because his route running has always been trash), I don’t see how cutting him creates a vacancy that is much different than what already exists. We might as well have the cap budget instead.

On 3/9/2018 at 1:21 PM, Tony7188 said:

Such an underrated comment. The Cowboys are penny pinching while our opponents are making trades and trying to win now, before they have to pay their QBs.

The Cowboys F.O. is so frustrating smh

Big difference: The veterans on this offensive line that, when combined with Lawrence, eats up like nearly 40% of the cap ...

Big difference #2: When those contracts in Philly and LA are hitting their peaks, those teams will be in a cap hell that will take several years to dig out of, even making it tough to keep those passers.

Big difference #3: Dallas hasbeen drafting much better over the last 5+ years than either of those teams, both meaning there is more honegrown talent to pay, fewer holes needing big trades/FA hires, AND a higher value on our draft picks...would you rather have the next orlando scandrick/anthonyhitchens/anthony brown/etc on a cheap deal competing hard for 4+ years or a 32 year old DE thats overpaid, and will leave you in a cap hole in a year when youre forced to cut him?

See, philly and La dont have those problems. They have not turned many of those mid round picks into anything, have far less cap issues due to homegrown core talent needing payment, and can afford to give up  a mid round pick and take a 4mil dead space hit in a year or two without it handcuffing them as it would us.

Dont compare without acknowledging the whole situation.

10 hours ago, plan9misfit said:

Same here. Dumping Dez and his bloated contract gives us the opportunity to pursue a few of these guys, as would getting Lawrence under a long term deal. It’s not like we’re asking to return to the old method of throwing money and terrible contracts at guys. Rather, just sign them to reasonable contracts. Heck, front load them so we can give ourselves the back end security and avoid cap hell. Stop the kick the can down the road crap (like Romo’s absurdly stupid contract) and it’ll work out.

You realize its like a 9mil+ dead cap money hit if we outright release him, right? When we have to pay a lot of key guys in the next 2-3 years, that amount of dead cap space can kill the core of this team.

Micky Spags has a great a great article on the dead cap space issue, id link it for you but im at work. If you have the time go read it - the dead cap money issue could really disassemble the entire core of this team.

14 minutes ago, Dallas94Ware said:

You realize its like a 9mil+ dead cap money hit if we outright release him, right? When we have to pay a lot of key guys in the next 2-3 years, that amount of dead cap space can kill the core of this team.

Micky Spags has a great a great article on the dead cap space issue, id link it for you but im at work. If you have the time go read it - the dead cap money issue could really disassemble the entire core of this team.

He's due $25M over the next two years. That affects our ability to re-sign players more than $8M in dead money that exists no matter what we do with him and his contract.

I wonder what the market for Derrick Johnson is atm. Seems like he could be had for reasonably cheap (or so I would assume) and would be a nice short term stop gap to replace Hitchens. Still need to draft one, but he'd lessen the need to draft one early, unless it's the right one, like for instance if Roquan fell to 19. 

58 minutes ago, Dallas94Ware said:

Nothing that Spags writes is worth anything. The man is a useless mouthpiece for Jerry Jones.

And, I’ll take $9M in dead money because it frees up $7.5M. If he’s released before June 1, why should I care about paying players in future years when there won’t be any of Dez’ dead money on the books? That’s an irrelevant red herring. So, if that was Spags’ point, then he’s even dumber than he looks.

Also, I’ve been on of maybe 3 or 4 people on this entire site who regularly warned and complained about dead money and bad contracts. None of you seemed to care when it applied to players you liked (Romo, Witten, Dez, Carr, etc.), so don’t lecture me about how dead money hurts a team. Pay the piper now so you won’t have to do it later.

Archived