Cowboys off season - training camp is almost here!!!

WizardHawk

10 minutes ago, matt79511 said:

Be that as it may- and I tend to agree with you- there's no reason to shoot your shot now on one of these Day 1 guys. In the last couple years, we've seen guys like Eric Decker and Jeremy Maclin become available in the latter phases of the offseason, and go for less money. I would hope Dallas has the foresight to wait for something like that to happen, should we move on from Dez. Emmanuel Sanders is probably the dream for that scenario, albeit an unlikely one.

I just think all this handwringing over "Look at all these trash WRs getting paid and you guys think Dez isn't worth his contract??" is missing the point. There's no way a WR that caught half his targets for 6.6 YPT and had over twice as many drops as touchdowns is worth anywhere near 10% of the salary cap, regardless of what other players at his position make, and I'm skeptical that the infrastructure around him will improve to the point that he's more than marginally better next year.

But guys like Decker and Maclin, won't help this roster without Dez. As a compliment sure, but not a replacement.  We would get worse. Not better. Yet Maclin cost $6M per and Decker $4M. We only save 8.5 with Dez. So it's intelligent to cut Dez and sign an Eric Decker and save 4M? And that's best case... Worst case was to cut Dez to save 8 and sign Watkins to $10/12M per. Thank God that couldn't work

17 minutes ago, DaBoys said:

But guys like Decker and Maclin, won't help this roster without Dez. As a compliment sure, but not a replacement.  We would get worse. Not better. Yet Maclin cost $6M per and Decker $4M. We only save 8.5 with Dez. So it's intelligent to cut Dez and sign an Eric Decker and save 4M? And that's best case... Worst case was to cut Dez to save 8 and sign Watkins to $10/12M per. Thank God that couldn't work

There may not be easy solutions. What I do know is, we got absolutely boned by our lack of OL and Front 7 depth last year, and I'm skeptical we can use the draft exclusively to fix those spots. Our WRs are far too expensive as a unit for how poorly they played last year, so one would hope there's some way to get at least a similar level of play from them for less $. Tbh I'd probably cut Dez and Beasley and try and get one vet for half their combined rates ($5.5-6M), then draft 2 guys. As the roster currently, stands, it's hard to squeeze in more than one drafted WR if you keep all your vets and Switzer unless you dump Noah Brown (who's now the best blocking receiver on the team since T-Will stopped trying), and god knows we need more young talent with some juice.

This is probably all moot since the coaches kept their jobs. Might be hard to sell your core guys on drastic roster upheaval given that aspect. Oh well.

12 minutes ago, DaBoys said:

Addition by subtraction, to make the team more Dak friendly. Paying Dez a boat load of money he isn't worth anymore next season isn't a good move either.

1 hour ago, Tony7188 said:

Addition by subtraction, to make the team more Dak friendly. Paying Dez a boat load of money he isn't worth anymore next season isn't a good move either.

How is removing Dez more Dak friendly? This dak friendly crap is so overblown -

Firstly, Dez is this teams.best wide receiver by a WIDE margin. He had a down year playing hurt and with protection issues rushing Dak to look for drop off targets.

Secondly, Williams lack of threat was more hinderance than Dez was at any point. Defenses ignored him, clouded over dez and planted a LB in Beasleys path with his typical coverage. It became Williams' chance to shine and he never got open, dropped it when he did, and ran terrible routes. He got paid and slacked off. You wanna cut a WR? Cut Williams he killed this O.

Third, this isnt Madden where you can just replace a "85" with a "81" for much less money. Good luck finding anreceiver capable of doing what Dez can do for a decent price. At best youll get another Williams, or maybe just maybe if you are lucky, a 800yard kinda guy like Jeffery whos few good performances make blind-fans think you had a #1 receiver kind of year, were paid #1 receiver money, but put up the same season as Laurent Robinson did for 1/5th the price.

Lastly - What isnt Dak friendly? Waggles, read options, rollouts, run heavy, what wasnt Dak friendly? The offense was very different thenlast two years and favored the type of passer Dak is. The only thing they can do to make it any more Dak friendly is simplify the reads even more, but that would not help Dak grow, and could become a problem for him later in his career by not learning now.

He was hurt Daks first year, but showed out in the playoffs. You guys wouldn't hate Byron Jones so much if Dez and Dak weren't good together.

Because, we would have never put Arod in such a tight spot without him. Let's talk about that. Our most recent success(losing barely to GB in the playoffs) wouldn't have even been close without Dez/Dak.

2 hours ago, Tony7188 said:

To play devil's advocate, Dez is probably better than any available FA WR yes? I mean, we ***** about his 838 yards, how many available WRs hit that last year? And all of them are getting paid more than Dez so far...

So we are saying these guys will come to Dallas and produce MORE? What are you basing that off of? Because last year taught us that people produce well after they leave here. Not when they arrive 

1 hour ago, DaBoys said:

Dez had a case of the drops last year,  but that is not the norm. A WR that makes contested catches without being open is the most QB friendly WR you can have.

This has been my entire point since Ive began defending Dez.

No, he has never been that crisp route runner who will beat double teams and cloud coverages with a well timed turn of the head, fake of a foot turn, or a stop-on-a-dime break. 

Yes, it would be nice to see him separate more often when given a one on one chance. And likely he would have, if he were not playing hobbled.

But when the game is on the line, a healthy Dez Bryant going up for that contested ball in the end zone is not just this team's best option in the red zone with time ticking away, he is arguably one of the best options IN THE LEAGUE.

He had some struggles this year, playing hurt (I hear it was foot and ankle stuff, basically a car trying to go full speed on a donut tire) and bobbling some tough catch attempts. But what he does is not an easy thing to do, and when the QB is on his butt half the time and there are no other passing options easing a little of the tension off the poor guy, yeah, he is not going to put up the gaudy stats some were hoping for.

Archived