Cowboys off season - training camp is almost here!!!

WizardHawk

14 minutes ago, textaz03 said:

Nothing like using your big time players as credit cards to bring in guys like Deonte Thompson.

That's worked oh so well for us in the past.

How much cap is a QB not on the team eating again for the second straight year?

On 3/21/2018 at 9:05 PM, CAPJ said:

Funny thing is a lot of what was said about how he is only asked to do certain things matches exactly what Brice Butler said.

My question to Dez why Now? Why not do these things earlier on his career?

Why is it assumed that he didn't?

31 minutes ago, Runaway Jim said:

How about we trade Dez to Seattle for Earl Thomas?

Not sure how those numbers work...eat $8m to trade Dez and find the $12-13m/yr to sign Thomas.  I'm sure the $ could be found, but I still hate the idea. Hurns signing helps, but only if Dez is around. He has to be part of equation this season. Don't think with what Dallas has coming up FA wise...DLaw, Martin, and Dak is around the corner too, they make a play on Thomas. 

36 minutes ago, WizardHawk said:

Not sure how those numbers work...eat $8m to trade Dez and find the $12-13m/yr to sign Thomas.  I'm sure the $ could be found, but I still hate the idea. Hurns signing helps, but only if Dez is around. He has to be part of equation this season. Don't think with what Dallas has coming up FA wise...DLaw, Martin, and Dak is around the corner too, they make a play on Thomas. 

Can they split Dez’s cap hit over two years if they do it after June 1st?

Thomas’ cap hit would be $8.5m if he played under his current deal. 

1 hour ago, Runaway Jim said:

How about we trade Dez to Seattle for Earl Thomas?

I don’t see them trading Dez. Now trading TWill or Bease and say a 3rd rounder is more like it. Seattle needs a WR and draft day is the time to make the move. Making a trade before hand we loose leverage.

13 hours ago, Runaway Jim said:

Can they split Dez’s cap hit over two years if they do it after June 1st?

Thomas’ cap hit would be $8.5m if he played under his current deal. 

I don't think teams can trade players and split cap hits. Thomas has a manageable number this year, it's the long term deal that going to cause an issue. 

http://www.espn.com/blog/dallas-cowboys/post/_/id/4765788/cowboys-recent-deals-acclunt-for-less-than-4-million-in-cap-space ... Hurns deal not included

On 3/24/2018 at 9:53 AM, WizardHawk said:

I don't think teams can trade players and split cap hits. Thomas has a manageable number this year, it's the long term deal that going to cause an issue. 

http://www.espn.com/blog/dallas-cowboys/post/_/id/4765788/cowboys-recent-deals-acclunt-for-less-than-4-million-in-cap-space ... Hurns deal not included

Hurns deal is maybe $6M in space. So we've signed what 4 or 5 guys now and used $10M in space? Hard to complain about that. I guess the Fleming deal pushed that up a bit but still.

Hurns

Fleming

Joe Thomas

Deontae Thompson

Olwale 

All for less than Sammy Watkins

31 minutes ago, DaBoys said:

Hurns deal is maybe $6M in space. So we've signed what 4 or 5 guys now and used $10M in space? Hard to complain about that. I guess the Fleming deal pushed that up a bit but still.

Hurns

Fleming

Joe Thomas

Deontae Thompson

Olwale 

All for less than Sammy Watkins

Yeah, gotta admit. FO is proving us wrong on being quiet this offseason. Quite a few quality depth guys in our signings already. If this is their philosophy right now I really like it.

Sign the depth, draft the starters. 

Edit: I'd also like to add they are doing exactly what I hoped they would do and talked about this in the last draft thread. Sign FA talent for WR and OL and address the other positions in the draft. 

Archived