Mock draft version 2.

Crickett

In order to avoid future confusion, I'm editing this in.  This mock draft is version 2.  The second post in my pre-combine mock draft. 

1. Cleveland Browns – Sam Darnold, QB – With the Jets moving up and the Bills poised to do so as well, I don’t think the Browns can afford to wait until #4 to draft a quarterback.  I think it’s a good bet we’re getting 1,2, 3 quarterbacks, possibly even 1, 2, 3, 4 quarterbacks for the first time ever depending on how things go.  Given that, I think it’s better to take the QB you want at #1 than to take the QB that’s left at #4. 

2. Buffalo Bills (from New York Giants) – Josh Allen, QB – I’m by no means a Josh Allen fan. I see a QB who can throw the ball really really far really really inaccurately and that’s not what I value in a quarterback.  But if there’s any team that needs a QB who can zip the ball, it is Buffalo. 

3. New York Jets (from Indianapolis Colts) – Josh Rosen, QB – So the Jets have finally learned from their mistakes and signed quarterbacks good enough to make sure their rookie isn’t pressed into service too soon.  It’s what ruined Geno Smith, it’s what ruined Mark Sanchez before him.  So naturally the Jets pick the most pro ready QB in the draft so they can let him sit on the bench.  Because Jets. 

4. Cleveland Browns (from Houston Texans) – Marcus Davenport, Edge – Surprise!  As much as everyone seems to love Bradley Chubb, that three-cone has me concerned his college production won’t translate to the NFL.  So, having signed Carlos Hyde to a three year deal and trading for Demarius Randall with the apparent intention of moving him to free safety, I think it’s possible the Browns surprise everyone and go with Marcus Davenport.  With the amount of depth the Browns have on their defensive line, then can start him as a rotational defensive end and eventually put him in full time opposite Myles Garrett to provide the devastating pass rush that was the hallmark of multiple 2017 NFL playoff teams.  Looking at you Pittsburgh, Philadelphia, Jacksonville and Minnesota.

5. Denver Broncos – Baker Mayfield, QB – If the Bill trade up to #4, they basically force the Broncos hand to trade up to #2. However, if the Bills trade up to two, I think the Broncos should stand pat and hope one of the top four quarterbacks falls to them.  In this instance, that would be Baker Mayfield. 

6. Indianapolis Colts (from New York Jets) – Saquon Barkley, RB – Over the last two years, I’ve seen my top overall prospect fall to #6 each year.  So why not make it three in a row?  I thought Marlon Mack was a draft steal last year, and while he was quite impressive in limited playing time, I don’t think he was so spectacular that he would prevent the Colts from drafting a true difference maker on offense.  Just the same, there are questions as to whether Barkley can be a true “bell cow” running back and having Mack to share some of the carries doesn’t hurt. 

7. Tampa Bay Buccaneers –- Quentin Nelson, OL – I really struggled with this pick given how many of Tampa’s needs correspond to the available talent.  At the end of the day, the Bucs despite tens of millions in cap room don’t have a left guard on their roster.  After signing Vinny Curry and trading for JPP during the offseason, I think the Buccaneers may focus their draft on their offense to balance things out.

8. Chicago Bears – Bradley Chubb, Edge – And Chubb’s slide ends here.  The Bears let Lamarr Houston, Willie Young and Pernell McPhee go this offseason, leaving them a severe lack of edge rushers opposite Leonard Floyd for returning defensive coordinator Vic Fangio.  If Quentin Nelson makes it past Tampa, I could have easily seen him as the Bears’ pick given Josh Sitton’s brief tenure in Chicago. 

9. San Francisco 49ers – Tremaine Edmunds, ILB – Reuben Foster has really left the 49ers in a lurch.  He was supposed to be an integral part of their defense going forward.  Instead he may never play again and the 49ers have a Reuben Foster sized hole in the middle of their defense.  Edmunds may be raw, but he has the tools and the coverage ability.  If Foster ever does come back, Edmunds can be move to will and Malcom Smith can move to strong side.  I wouldn’t hold my breath for that to happen. 

10. Oakland Raiders – Mike McGlinchey, OT – I strongly considered Roquon Smith or Denzel Ward here, but I think Oakland has addressed both inside linebacker with Tahir Whitehead and cornerback with Rashaan Melvin.  I think the Raiders have a need at right tackle and for a left tackle of the future.  McGlinchey could potentially give them both. 

11. Miami Dolphins – Via Vea, DT – Having cut Ndamukong Suh, the Dolphins are left with little if any talent in the middle of their defensive line.  This is something I think the Dolphins need to address, possibly more than once early in this year’s draft.  They kept James, signed Sitton and traded for Kilgore.  Now they need to address the other side of the trench. 

12. New York Giants (from Cincinnati Bengals via Buffalo Bills) – Minkah Fitzpatrick, FS – Surprise!  I strongly considered Roquon Smith or Calvin Ridley here, because I think the Giants still need linebacker help and a replacement for Odell Be… I mean Brandon Marshall, and they are just fine at free safety.  But aside from providing phenomenal value, Fitzpatrick could alternate between nickel corner (something the Giants are currently lacking) and free safety ala Tyrann Mattieu.  Trading down with the Bills and adding so many picks allows for increased flexibility.  I didn’t mean to start typing Odell Beckham Jr there.  Really. 

13. Washington – Derwin James, S – Derwin James would give Washington the final piece of the puzzle for what is becoming an increasingly frightening secondary.  Especially with rumors that the Broncos are looking to trade for Su’a Cravens (why?). 

14. Green Bay Packers – Denzel Ward, CB – Packers fans can pretend all they want that they got one over on the Bears, they clearly wanted a man cover cornerback and didn’t get one.  New Packers defensive coordinator Mike Pettine knows a thing or two about how important an elite cornerback drafted fourteenth can be.  I’m alluding to Darrelle Revis in case you’re wondering what I’m talking about. 

15. Arizona Cardinals – Da’Ron Payne, DT – After drafting Robert Nkemdiche in 2016, the Cardinals passed on Jonathan Allen.   Their defensive line has become a liability they must address

16. Baltimore Ravens – Calvin Ridley, WR – While I think John Brown and Michael Crabtree are certainly steps in the right direction, I don’t think either them is a “number one” receiver.  It’s entirely probably Baltimore may continue addressing their offensive line if Ridley is off the board, but I don’t think they can afford to pass on the top WR in the draft given the extension they just gave Joe “He won a Superbowl once” Flacco.

17. Los Angeles Chargers – Josh Jackson, CB – I wanted to put Da’Ron Payne here, but…. I mean every year it seems like the Chargers have one glaring need we all expect them to address early and they throw a curveball for everyone and don’t.  This year that need is defensive tackle, but Jason Verrett has only played more than six games once in his career.  I think the Chargers surprise everyone and draft a replacement. 

18. Seattle Seahawks – Conner Williams, OL – I usually take a darts on a dartboard approach and considered giving Seattle someone like Da’Shawn Hand or Sony Michel because ‘lol so random’, but for once I’m actually going to follow ‘conventional wisdom’ and give Seattle someone who “makes sense” from both a need and value standpoint.  I highly doubt Seattle will draft someone so mundane.  Not when they can draft a middle linebacker or a wide receiver or something even more off the wall. 

19. Dallas Cowboys – Roquon Smith, ILB – Supposedly, Roquon Smith was a medical red flag at the combine.  I don’t know the details of what that was about, but we’ve seen linebackers fall due to those kinds of concerns.  And we’ve also seen Dallas take chances on linebackers who fell.   Offensive line is a strong possibility here, but apparently the Cowboys are at least trying to address that through free agency.  By the time I write my next mock draft (assuming I write another one), if they have signed someone, I’ll probably project them to draft o-line in the first two rounds. 

20. Detroit Lions – Sam Hubbard, DE – Admittedly, it’s a bit of a reach, but the Lions have Ezekiel Ansah on a franchise tag and not much else at defensive end.  Having just signed Sylvester Williams, I think it’s entirely possible the Lions pass on addressing defensive tackle yet again in favor of a defensive end to pair with Ansah or possibly replace him.  I think cornerback is a possibility here as well even with the selection of Teez Tabor in the second round just one year ago.  Running back is too, but I think once again this year is a deep running back class and it would be a waste to draft one in the first round who isn’t Saquon Barkley. Doesn’t mean it won’t happen though.

21. Cincinnati Bengals (from Buffalo Bills) – James Daniels, C – Yes, they need a center, but c’mon. We all know what’s going to happen.  It’s an even numbered year.  They’re drafting a cornerback in the first round.  Because Cincinnati.  

22. New York Giants (from Buffalo Bills) – Isaiah Wynn, OL – Conventional wisdom says the Giants are going to continue to address their offensive line.  I’ve decided to go in that direction for this mock draft, but I actually wouldn’t be surprised if they don’t.  They signed a tackle and a guard and they haven’t released John Jerry.  That leads me to believe maybe they’re going to stand pat with their offensive line and go in another direction, even if they trade down.  I’m not sure that’s wise and I could be entirely wrong, but I think it is a possibility. 

23. Los Angeles Rams – Harold Landry, OLB – The Rams have done a commendable job improving their defense this offseason.  They’ve traded for two pro bowl cornerbacks and rumor has it they are interested in signing Ndamukong Suh to complete what would be a terrifying defensive line. But during this effort, they pretty much tore down their linebacker corps.  Their two biggest needs are inside linebacker and edge rusher.  Based on what I heard about the Alec Ogletree trade, I get the sense they’re looking for a two down run stopper at ILB, and that doesn’t warrant a first round pick. That makes the obvious selection an edge rusher.  If Harold Landry is off the board at this point, I wouldn’t be surprised to see them draft Arden Key even though I have him projected to go a full round later in this mock. 

24. Carolina Panthers – Ronnie Harrison, S – The Panthers to my surprise have done little to improve their secondary this offseason.  They traded Daryl Worley to Philadelphia for a much needed speed receiver and cut Kurt Coleman, allegedly to get younger on defense; which is why they kept seventy year old Mike Adams.  With Morgan Burnett a Steeler, there are still at least three quality safeties just sitting there on the free agent market, but the Panthers haven’t made a move.  After the failed Breeland signing, it would not surprise me if the Panthers dedicate their first three picks to their secondary.  It certainly wouldn’t be the first time they drafted back to back to back defensive backs in one year. 

25. Tennessee Titans – Leighton Vanden Esch, ILB – Defensive line is a very strong possibility, but I think

A. they’re going to address their d-line through free agency.

B. they have a better chance of getting quality d-linemen later in the draft.

26. Atlanta Falcons – Taven Bryan, DL – I was not expecting for the Falcons to let all of their free agent defensive lineman walk, but here we are.  Ideally I would have liked to put an offensive lineman or a wide receiver here, but I can’t justify that with no one at under tackle. 

27. New Orleans Saints – Harold Phillips, DT – In an earlier iteration of this mock draft, I had Mike Gesicki in this spot and I still think that is a possibility, but given the effort they made to sign Ndamukong Suh, I think their priority is interior defensive line.

28. Pittsburgh Steelers – Rashaan Evans, ILB – Ryan Shazier has made remarkable progress after his devastating injury, but there still is no way to say whether he will ever play professional football ever again. 

29. Jacksonville Jaguars – Will Hernandez, OL – “I’ve never seen the Jaguars play” jokes aside, it’s actually quite difficult to prognosticate the draft for a team with so few holes from a talent perspective.  Jaguars fans might think they still need a TE with the release of Mercedes Lewis, but I disagree.  I think Austin Sefarian-Jenkins was a good signing (Niles Paul…. Not so much) and I don’t think they’re going to address TE early in the first.  While A.J. Cann hasn’t been a Jaguar particularly long, the prospect of having Fournette and Yeldon running behind the interior line of Linder, Hernandez and Norwell is rather frightening.

30. Minnesota Vikings –Jaire Alexander, CB – Surprise!  This may seem counter intuitive given the talent the Vikings have in their secondary, but I think it’s a possibility and I wanted to put it in at least one mock draft.  From what I have seen, the Vikings tend to be forward thinking in their draft tendencies in the first two rounds.  They don’t draft guys early to fill immediate needs, they draft guys to fill needs a year or two down the line.  They tend to focus more on immediate needs in the middle rounds (like offensive line) and I think that’s entirely possible they will do so again. Additionally, Mike Zimmer seems to have brought the Bengals ‘What you mean we have enough cornerbacks.  You can never have enough cornerbacks!’ draft philosophy with him from Cincinnati. 

31. New England Patriots – Kolton Miller, LT – The Patriots took a huge hit from a talent perspective.  That being said, they have always been able to weather the storm of losing talent and come out on top.  In many places, I think that will remain true, but left tackle is not one of them.  After losing so many offensive linemen, they can’t just shift a guy to left tackle anymore. Replacing Nate Soldier has to be priority number one in my opinion. 

32. Philadelphia Eagles – Malik Jefferson, LB  - Like Jacksonville, the Eagles are loaded with enough talent as to make them rather difficult to draft for.  I don’t think a blocking tight end is something they need to use a first round pick on, and I don’t actually think they need to draft a replacement for Torrey Smith.  I quite liked the selection of Mack Hollins last year and I expect him to get a more prominent role in the Eagles offense this upcoming season.  They just drafted two cornerbacks day two last year and traded for a third from Carolina.  I’m assuming with this selection that at some point Mychael Kendricks is going to get dealt via trade or outright release somewhere down the line. 

33. Cleveland Browns – Brian O’Neill, OT

34. New York Giants – Derrius Guice, RB

35. Cleveland Browns (from Houston Texans) – Carlton Davis, CB 

36. Indianapolis Colts – Courtland Sutton, WR                                                             

37. Indianapolis Colts (from New York Jets) – Isaiah Oliver, CB

38. Tampa Bay Buccaneers – Ronald Jones, RB

39. Chicago Bears – Justin Reid, S

40. Denver Broncos – Dallas Goedert, TE 

41. New England Patriots (from San Francisco 49ers) – Josh Sweat, DE

42. Miami Dolphins – Mike Gesicki, TE

43. Oakland Raiders – D.J. Moore, WR

44. Washington – Martinas Rankins, OL 

45. Green Bay Packers – D.J. Chark, WR                                                                         

46. Cincinnati Bengals – Braden Smith, OL

47. Arizona Cardinals – Donte Jackson, CB

48. Los Angeles Chargers – Lamar Jackson, QB

49. Indianapolis Colts (from Seattle Seahawks via New York Jets) – Tyrell Crosby, OT

50. Dallas Cowboys – Maurice Hurst, DT

51. Detroit Lions – Sony Michel, RB

52. Baltimore Ravens – Frank Ragnow, C

53. Buffalo Bills – Christian Kirk, WR                                                                                 

54. Kansas City Chiefs – Jesse Bates, S

55. Carolina Panthers – M.J. Stewart, DB

56. New York Giants (from the Los Angeles Rams via Buffalo) – Uchenna Nwosu, Edge

57. Tennessee Titans – Tim Settle, NT

58. Atlanta Falcons – Hayden Hurst, TE 

59. San Francisco 49ers – Arden Key, Edge

60. Pittsburgh Steelers – Jesse Bates, S

61. Jacksonville Jaguars – Mason Rudolph, QB

62. Minnesota Vikings – Lorenzo Carter, OLB

62. New England Patriots – Kyle Lauletta, QB

64. Cleveland Browns (from the Philadelphia Eagles) – Deon Cain, WR                         

I'm planning to replace the initial mock draft with my next one, so I am copy/pasting my pre-combine mock draft into the second post.  I'm not sure when I will start the next one let alone finish it, but I'm doing this now so I don't forget.

This is a first try, so it is very possible I will be off base with some of the picks.  Feedback requested. 

I’ve tried multiple times to do a full free agent period, but I keep losing interest when I get to linebackers, so I’m just going to post this mock draft without it.  For this mock, I am assuming the Cleveland Browns are going to sign Kirk Cousins. As a result, if I write a second mock draft before Kirk Cousins is actually signed by someone, I will have him going to a different team.  Because while I think Cleveland would be the best destination for Cousins, it by no means the only one. 

1. Buffalo Bills (From Cleveland Browns) – Sam Darnold, QB - Buffalo trades #21, their 2019 day one and two picks and their 2020 1st round pick for #1 overall. Cleveland has enough picks this year, they don’t need to add more.  Having additional picks going forward on the other hand….

2. New York Giants – Josh Rosen, QB – Saquon Barkley is certainly a strong possibility here, but I am of the opinion that the Giants will choose to go with a successor to Eli Manning.  In my opinion, Eli’s arm is shot. In college and as a rookie, OBJ was a deep threat that could take the top off of defenses.  That’s how he had the one handed OOOHHH MYYYY GGGAAAAAWWWWDD catch against Dallas.  But ever since that rookie season, Beckham has been pretty much a pure YAC receiver.  I think the reason why is Eli’s arm. I was a big fan of Davis Webb last year, but I am also of the opinion that a unproven former third round pick should not stop you from drafting a potential franchise quarterback.   Worst case scenario, you can recoup some of the cost trading one of the young quarterbacks to another team.

3. Indianapolis Colts – Saquon Barkley, RB - Marlon Mack was a steal last year, but I don’t think he was so much of a steal that he would prevent them from drafting someone who has a good chance at being the best running back in the NFL in short order. The Colts have a lot of cap room to address a lot of issues this offseason.  That should help them go BPA come draft time.

4. Cleveland Browns (from Houston Texans) – Bradley Chubb, DE – In my opinion, the Browns don’t actually need help in their front seven at all.  They need a receiver, secondary help, a right tackle and a quarterback.  I’m figuring they’ll be the winners of the Kirk Cousins sweepstakes and the winner of the Trumaine Johnson sweepstakes.  Minkah Fitzpatrick is certainly a possibility here, but as it was pointed out to me, safeties tend to fall in the draft.  Last year I had Jamal Adams and Malik Hooker as two of my top three prospects regardless of position.  Where did they go?  Number six and number fourteen.  But Minkah Fitzpatrick is going to go number four overall?  Chubb adds to what is already a very young and very talented defensive line and threatens to give them a pass rush second only to Pittsburgh and Jacksonville. 

5. Denver Broncos – Josh Allen, QB – This would not be my preference.  This is probably not the preference of many Broncos fans.  This is a team that has repeatedly gone with tall QB’s with strong arms they could “coach up” who did not progress.  But do I think they’re going to make the same proverbial mistake again?  Yes.  Yes I do.  Josh Allen has been getting a ton of pre-draft hype from prognosticators and as much as I might disagree with it, I think Josh Allen is going to go much higher than he should.  He has the strongest arm since Jamarcus Russell.  And we can see how much more important that is than accuracy or decision making from the hall of fame career that Jamarcus Russell clearly had.

6. New York Jets – Denzel Ward, CB – Originally I had Kirk Cousins going to the Jets and Quenton Nelson as a pick here.  But when it comes to the Jets in mock drafts I like to take the tactic of “what’s the dumbest thing they could do?” and go in that direction.  What’s the dumbest thing the Jets could do?  Well they could let Morris Claiborne and Austin Sefarian-Jenkins walk, pass on a quarterback in the first round so they can draft a project in the second round yet… again… after missing out on Kirk Cousins, not fix their offensive line at all in the first two rounds and reach for the second best defensive back prospect available in Denzel Ward at #6.  That’s pretty dumb.  I’ll put that in my mock. 

7. Tampa Bay Buccaneers – Minkah Fitzpatrick, DB – The Buccaneers has shown a strong willingness to use high draft picks to address their secondary.  Last year it was second round pick Justin Evans.  In 2016 it was first round pick Vernon Hargreaves III.  T.J. Ward and Brent Grimes will both be hitting free agency.  Fitzpatrick can play both cornerback and safety and would help the Buccaneers perpetually struggling secondary whichever place they put him. 

8. Chicago Bears – Quenton Nelson, G - It was a quite a surprise to me when the Bears let Josh Sitton go after one year.  Allegedly they want to get younger on their offensive line.  Well, unless they think they’re going to be the team to sign Andrew Norwell (and given how many teams with a lot of cap room need p-line help, I wouldn’t bet on that), I’m guessing that means they’ll going o-line in the draft.  Jordan Howard and Tarik Cohen running behind Kyle Long, Cody Whitehair and Quenton Nelson is a potent mix.  Gives me the goosebumps.  Calvin Ridley is a possibility, but I think there is a much better chance the Bears can fix their receiver corps in free agency than their offensive line.

9. San Francisco 49ers – Roquan Smith, ILB – While I think Marcus Davenport is a strong possibility here, former “steal of the draft” Reuben Foster has put the 49ers in a quandary.  As a result, it’s very possible the 49ers will postpone addressing LEO until the second round or possibly to free agency with someone like Vinny Curry. 

10. Oakland Raiders – Tremaine Edmunds, LB – The Raiders have neglected a pressing need at linebacker for years and despite a sub-par secondary, I think Chucky is finally going to get some help for the middle of the Raiders defense. 

11. Miami Dolphins – Orlando Brown, OL – The Dolphins has shown a willingness to address offensive line early with the selection of Laremy Tunsil a few years ago.  Which is a good thing, because aside from one or two decent linemen, that group is turrible and has been turrible for a very very long time. 

12. Cincinnati Bengals – Mike McGlinchey, OT – Two years ago the Bengals drafted back to back linemen figuring that would maintain what used to be a dominant offensive line.  That… didn’t happen.  So in a fairly weak offensive line free agent class, the Bengals are going to have to draft someone, even if they can sign someone like Norwell or Pugh.   One player is not going to fix that line.

13. Washington – Vita Vea, NT – Derwin James is also a strong possibility here, but this time around I figured I’d mock Washington a nose tackle.  They’ve shown a willingness to draft high upside defensive linemen early in the draft and I think it’s likely they could go back to the well. 

14. Green Bay Packers – Marcus Davenport, EDGE – Originally I had Joshua Jackson here, but I’m thinking that maybe Mike Pettine can make something out of the substantial secondary investment the Packers already made in prior drafts and instead they can go in another direction. 

15. Arizona Cardinals – Baker Mayfield, QB – Should Baker Mayfield fall this far?  No he should not.  Should Baker Mayfield make it past the top six?  I don’t think so.   But for a quarterback with Mayfield’s shortcomings *rimshot*, I think if any of the quarterbacks are going to fall, it will be Mayfield.  Every year there are steals in the draft and not mocking at least a few is unrealistic IMO. 

16. Baltimore Ravens – Calvin Ridley, WR – Offensive line is also a pretty big need for the Ravens, but Mike Wallace is a free agent, Jeremy Maclin was disappointing and Joe Flacco has very little to work with.  A lot of people have Ridley projected to go the Bears.  But the Bears has a lot of cap room and Ridley imo would be a reach that high.  This is more the range I think Ridley should go and the Ravens don’t have nearly as much cap room.

17. Los Angeles Chargers – Da’Ron Payne, DT – Safety is certainly a possibility with Tre Boston set to hit free agency, but safety was a possibility last year too and they did not draft one until day three.  Payne will help complement a strong edge rush and prevent teams from taking advantage of a run defense that gave up the highest YPC in the league.

18. Seattle Seahawks – Mike Gesicki, TE – Due to what I perceive to be the most unpredictable team in the NFL, I pretty much take a ‘darts on a dartboard’ approach to the Seahawks draft.  I think the Seahawks are going to lose Richardson and Jimmy Graham via agency and it wouldn’t be a Seahawks draft if there weren’t at least some perplexing selections.

19. Dallas Cowboys – Connor Williams, OL – Kind of a shocker, but I was expecting the Cowboys offensive line to take a big step back.  I’ve heard talk that Connor Williams doesn’t have the arm length to play left tackle and could be moved to guard although I don’t know how true that is.  Connor Williams imo would return the Cowboys offensive line to the dominance it had and give them a player at left guard who can easily slip to left tackle should Tyron Smith get injured like the Saints did with Andrus Peat.

20. Detroit Lions – Maurice Hurst, DT – Hometown player helps give the Lions the interior pass rush they’ve been lacking since they let Ndamukong Suh take his talents to south beach.  As with Washington, Derwin James is a strong possibility here.

21. Cleveland Browns (from Buffalo Bills) – Christian Kirk, WR – A bit of a reach, but I think he would be a good change of pace from the bigger receivers I think the Browns are going to have next season with guys like David Njoku, Josh Gordon and very possibly Terrelle Pryor.  

22. Buffalo Bills – Billy Price, C – So I’ve heard Bills fans complain about this.  They don’t need to replace Eric Wood, they have Ryan Groy and he’ll be just fine at center.  But you know who is in a contract year?  Ryan Groy.  You know who else is in a contract year?  Richie Incognito.  The Bills drafted Dion Dawkins to play inside last year, but when Cordy Glenn got hurt, Dawkins showed the ability to play left tackle.  That’s great, but the Bills still need help inside and it’s always a good idea to add linemen to help a quarterback #1 overall. 

23. Los Angeles Rams – Josh Jackson, CB – Why would they do this?  They just traded for Marcus Peters!  Well, Marcus Peters is an elite cornerback, but teams generally field at least two of those at any given time.  Who do the Rams have opposite Peters?  Trumaine Johnson?  The Rams are likely to franchise Sammy Watkins, which means they’re going to have to beat out cornerback needy teams like Cleveland and San Francisco for Johnson.  I don’t think that’s happening.  Keyvon Webster?  Just tore his Achilles tendon.  I doubt he’s going to be there next year and if by some miracle he is, do you really want to count on him as a starter? 

24. Carolina Panthers – Derwin James, S – Like Baker Mayfield, draft steals happen.  Originally I had James Washington at this pick and Derwin James falling to Pittsburgh.  But after letting Kurt Coleman walk. I don’t think James is making it past the Panthers. 

25. Tennessee Titans – Leighton Vander Esch, ILB – Adding Leighton Vander Esch is good, but David Njoku would be better.   

26. Atlanta Falcons – Isaiah Wynn, OL – I’m assuming the Falcons resign Dontari Poe to a long term extension.  I may be way off base here, as I thought the Falcons would address interior line early last year and they didn’t, but I think Wynn would be a great fit for their team.

27. New Orleans Saints – Harold Landry, Edge – Alex Okafor is a free agent coming off of an Achilles tear. With the addition of Marshon Lattimore, the Saints defense has finally started to improve.  Landry would give the Saints the edge rusher to complement Cameron Jordan they’ve been lacking for years. 

28. Pittsburgh Steelers – Rashaan Evans, LB – Ryan Shazier thinks he will play football again, and lord willing he will.  But I don’t think that is going to happen and I think the loss of Shazier was the difference between going to the playoffs and going to the Superbowl.  Whether Shazier ever plays again, the Steelers need linebacker help imo. 

29. Jacksonville Jaguars – William Hernandez, OL – Well, to be fair I’ve never actually watched the Jacksonville Jaguars, but I hear the Fort Lauderdale Jaguars have resigned their franchise quarterback and future hall of famer Blake Bortles to an extension and intend to franchise wide receiver Allan Robertson.  With so few needs on defense, it makes sense for the Tallahassee Jaguars to continue to build up their offensive line to protect soon to be all pro quarterback Blake Bortles.  I hope next year I get to see the magic happen a few times when the Jaguars quarterback inevitable breaks at least two major single season passing records. 

/snark mode off

30. Minnesota Vikings – Taven Bryan, DT – Tom Johnson is a free agent, Shariff Floyd will sadly never play football again and the Vikings have a pressing need at defensive tackle.  It’s possible they could address the position in free agency, but doing so could come at the expense of the quarterback position (I’m assuming they’re going to sign someone be in Keenum, McCarron, Biridgewater, etc) or some of the quality defensive players who will be hitting free agency sometime within the next few seasons.

31. New England Patriots – Isaiah Oliver, CB – I’m pretty sure the Patriots are about the let Malcom Butler leave via free agency.  Given how many offensive linemen they have set to test free agency, that is certainly a possibility as well. 

32. Philadelphia Eagles – Malik Jefferson, LB – Resigning Nigel Bradham might be a priority for the Eagles, but as one of the few teams in salary cap hell, it just might not be feasible.

33. Cleveland Browns – Derrius Guice, RB

34. New York Giants – Kolton Miller, LT

35. Cleveland Browns (from Houston Texans) – Carlton Davis, CB

36. Indianapolis Colts – Mike Hughes, CB 

37. New York Jets – Lamar Jackson, QB

38. Tampa Bay Buccaneers – Sony Michel, RB

39. Chicago Bears – Donte Jackson, CB

40. Denver Broncos – JaMarco Jones, OT

41. New England Patriots (from San Francisco 49ers) – Brian O’Neill, OL 

42. Miami Dolphins – Dallas Goedert, TE

43. Oakland Raiders – Ronald Jones, RB

44. Washington – Courtland Sutton, WR

45. Green Bay Packers – Hayden Hurst, TE

46. Cincinnati Bengals – James Daniels, C

47. Arizona Cardinals – Harrison Phillips, DL

48. Los Angeles Chargers – Ronnie Harrison, S

49. New York Jets (from Seattle Seahawks) – Mark Andrews, TE

50. Dallas Cowboys – Tim Settle, DT

51. Detroit Lions – Sam Hubbard, DE

52. Baltimore Ravens – Martinas Rankin, OL

53. Buffalo Bills – James Washington, WR 

54. Kansas City Chiefs – Jaire Alexander, CB

55. Carolina Panthers – Justin Reid, S

56. Buffalo Bills (from the Los Angeles Rams) – Tavarus McFadden, CB

57. Tennessee Titans – Arden Key, Edge

58. Atlanta Falcons – DJ Moore, WR

59. San Francisco 49ers – Simmie Cobbs, WR

60. Pittsburgh Steelers – Terrell Edmunds, S 

61. Jacksonville Jaguars – Mason Rudolph, QB

62. Minnesota Vikings – Chukwuma Okorafor, OT 

62. New England Patriots - Kyle Lauletta, QB

64. Cleveland Browns (from the Philadelphia Eagles) – Tyrell Crosby, OL

5 hours ago, Crickett said:

3. Indianapolis Colts – Saquon Barkley, RB - Marlon Mack was a steal last year, but I don’t think he was so much of a steal that he would prevent them from drafting someone who has a good chance at being the best running back in the NFL in short order. The Colts have a lot of cap room to address a lot of issues this offseason.  That should help them go BPA come draft time.

36. Indianapolis Colts – Mike Hughes, CB 

I love both of these picks as long as we brought in some halfway decent free agent OL.

I think the focus of the draft will be retooling for the Tampa 2 but it's hard to argue with the value of these two.

Darnold better be the next Peyton Mannng if they're giving up 3 1st, a future 2nd and 3rd for him.

I do like the fact that this years draft stays in tack, but man would the 2019 draft be boring lol.

I can understand your point about Price, though will say Dawkins was drafted to be a RT not play inside. I'd rather draft a C/G like Ragnow is round 2 who next season could take over for Groy OR Incognito. 

Love the Washington and McFadden pick.

Would prefer Taven Bryan there over wynn and then an OG in the 2nd round but Wynn is a ok pick and one i can see happening if we resign Poe.   We still another DT/DE even if we resign Poe as with Poe added we still only have 2 DT's on the entire roster lol.  

In the 2nd round we really need to address DT if we don't in round 1  I would target a player like B.J. Hill in round 2 unless you think we can somehow steal him in round 3 then that would be a nice get for us but im not sure he lasts that long. 

Two things. One Njuku was drafted by the Browns last year. Then two the Titans don't need a Tightend! I don't know why everyone thinks we do, but we don't! 

But besides that it's a good mock we need our front seven overhauled. 

I don’t mind Rams drafting Jackson but the Rams have depth at defensive back. They will keep Joyner who plays safety but can also play nickel. NRC should be back and he is primarily the nickel. The Rams also really like Hill who played well last season and Peterson looked really good when he had his shot especially Week 17 when he started and had 2 ints on Jimmy G. So the Rams have depth at defensive back and that’s with not even mentioning Webster who will be back eventually and the newly acquired Peters.

With that being said, I’d look for the Rams to get an edge rusher because Barwin is a FA and Quinn is getting older with injury problems. The Rams could look at the future replacement for Whitworth at LT and since Sullivan is a FA I can see them drafting a OC or even if the resign Sullivan still get his future replacement because he is older as well. Maybe they could even get an upgrade over Brown at OG. I’d also like to see them get bigger on the inside whether it’s at inside linebacker or nose tackle to better stop the run which was the Rams weakness on defense.

22 hours ago, Crickett said:

4. Cleveland Browns (from Houston Texans) – Bradley Chubb, DE – In my opinion, the Browns don’t actually need help in their front seven at all.  They need a receiver, secondary help, a right tackle and a quarterback. 

Right on. As a Cleveland fan with our FA you would have crossed off 2 of those needs. This leaves OT and WR. At #4 with Allen being on the boards I'd look to trade back again, get a first and 2nd this draft and maybe a 2nd/3rd next year. I'd target one of the WRs or OTs. If we could get an extra 2nd and someone like Ridley or O Brown/Williams/McGlinchey :D that would be quite a haul. Plus it would set us up with 4 2nds for the remainder of the draft an extra 1, 2 and 3 in 2019 and an extra 1st in 2020. There is no reason we couldn't stack this team and make serious playoff push by 2020. But as it stands Chubb and Kirk wouldn't be too bad. Add Guice, Davis, and Crosby plus all of the FAs and additional draft picks would make this a good to great draft for the Browns. 

That is all

Mastercheddaar

Im a bit sad now it seems Poe is a goner :(  They said they intend to let Poe, Gabriel, and Clayborne hit FA.  Poe seems to want a 10 to 12 mil contract for like 3+ years.   Can't say he isn't worth it but thats a bit our of our price range i would imagine for a DT.

Archived