My Prediction Mock Offseason

WindyCity

Releases/Not Re-signed

QB Mike Glennon [11.5 million]-A complete failure of a free agent signing.
TE Dion Sims [4.5 million]-He has been mediocre at catching and blocking and there is an out in his contract
WR Markus Wheaton [5 million]-Has done nothing and been injured and an easy one to move on from
LB Jerrel Freeman[3.5 million]-Younger players took his job. He can still play, but you do not keep a 32 year old guy when you have young guys ready to play
LB Pernell McPhee [7 million]-injuries and a big contract
LB Willie Young [4.5 million]-injuries and age
CB Marcus Cooper [4.5 million]-has been a bust and I would rather keep Prince
S Quentin Demps [3.5 million]
C Hroniss Grasu [800k]-he sucks
FB- Michael Burton [700k]-he sucks as well
OT Bradley Sowell
OT Tom Compton

Re-signings/Extensions

CB Kyle Fuller Franchise Tag [14 million]
CB Prince Amukamara 3 years 21 million/10 guaranteed [7]
LB Lamar Houston 2 years 6 million/2 guaranteed [3]
LB Christian Jones 3 years 9 million/4 guaranteed [3]
P Pat O'Donnell 4 years 12 million/5 guaranteed [3]
QB Mark Sanchez 2 years 5 million/2 guaranteed [2]
CB Sherrick McManis 2 years 4 million/.5 guaranteed [1.5]
DE Mitch Unrien 2 years 4.5 million/1.5 guaranteed [2.5]
RB Benny Cunningham 1 year 1.25 million/200k guaranteed [1.2]
WR Dontrelle Inman 2 years 5 million/1 guaranteed [2]

RFA

WR Cam Meredith 2.4 million [2nd round tender]
CB Bryce Callahan 2.4 mllion [2nd round tender]
TE Daniel Brown 750K [Original Round] 
LB John Timu 750k [Original Round]

Extensions

DT Eddie Goldman 

New Money: 4 years 42 million/24 guaranteed [10 SB, 10 guaranteed salary, 4 RB]
Old Money: 1 year 1.2 million
Total: 5 year 43 million/24 guaranteed

Free Agents

TE Trey Burton [Philadelphia] 4 years 30 million/16 guaranteed

If the top end of the WR market gets wiped out before free agency the Bears will need to add volume upside pass catching targets. It has been rumored that the Bears are the "front runners" for Burton who is very versatile and has been used in a number of ways in a similar offense in Philly. Burton does not have a ton of production, but based on a limited sample size his numbers are very good. Shaheen will play the inline position and Burton can be moved and flexed all over the formation. This will allow Nagy to change the formation without changing personnel and allowing the defense to sub.

090115_trey-burton_600.jpg

WR Albert Wilson [Kansas City] 4 years 28 million/14 guaranteed

If the Bears miss on the top targets they may need to show a little desperation and steal Wilson from the Chiefs. There has been rumors that Wilson is the priority for the Chiefs and some believe that Nagy may not step on his mentor's toes, but the Bears need someone who can come in and consistently fill a role. We know that Wilson can step in and produce in the slot role in this offense. Even thought he has a limited number of career targets all of his numbers are good and a projection is a little safer because of how well known he is to the staff.

010715-AlbertWilson-Image.jpg

OG Zach Fulton [Kansas City] 4 years 24 million/10 guaranteed

There are so many reasons that Fulton makes sense in Chicago. He has played for Matt Nagy for a his entire career. He was coached by Harry Hiestand in college. He is from Chicago and would be coming home. The Bears need a LG and they need someone who can play C in a pinch and Fulton can do those things. Fulton is not a star, but he is a solid starter at multiple positions and gives the Bears versatility inside.

062317-fulton-image.jpg

WR Donte Moncreif [Indianapolis] 2 years 12 million/5 guaranteed [1 year-5 million]

The Bears need some speed at the WR position and Moncrief has size [6'2" 220lbs] and speed [4.35] to play on the outside and take the top off the defense. Health has held back Moncrief and the Bears would be taking a health risk with Moncrief and would need to support this with a draft pick that can step in and play if Moncrief gets injured. Moncreif has had moments in his career where he has been very productive and at 26 the Bears can hope that he can find some level of consistency.

1020_moncrief-td-pats-ap_610.jpg

S Rafeal Bush [New Orleans] 2 years 4 million/1.5 guaranteed

The Bears can cut Quentin Demps and bring in another veteran safety and save come cash. Buish is younger and can fill the role of veteran in the safety room while starting in a pinch and adding to the special teams. Bush has experience with Pace from New Orleans and has been a consistent player for the Saints.

hi-res-ffe33d99c96f2e3bd3d44bc685d33e42_

OLB Aaron Lynch [San Francisco] 2 years 5 million/1 guaranteed [1 SB]

The Bears need to add some bodies to the OLB spot, the real improvement will have to come from the draft. Lynch has the physical tools to be a starting OLB and he showed it his first couple of seasons in the NFL, but in the last 2 years he has disappeared off the map. Lynch is a Fangio reclamation project to see if he can get something from him. At 25 Lynch is young enough that a career resurgence cannot be totally ruled out.

6_3705641.jpg

RB Chris Ivory [Jacksonville] 1 year 1.75 million/.5 guaranteed

The Bears need a backup RB that is capable of carrying the load if Howard is injured and who can bring the size and physicality that Howard has. Ivory has the size, power, and ability to hold up doing the heavy lifting. If Howard is injured Ivory can handle the short yardage and 2nd and 4 runs that Cohen and Cunningham are not well suited for. Ivory is cheap and ensures that the offense does not lose an element with an injury.

20170101-Inactives.jpg

K Cody Parkey [Miami] 4 years 12 million/4 guaranteed

The Dolphins screwed themselves financially with the Landry tag and the Bears can use it to pick off their kicker. At 25 with a 90% field goal and point after percentage he is the ideal player to fill the massive crater that is the Bears kicker spot since Robbie left. With a developing offense the last thing you need is an inconsistent kicker who costs you points and doesn't end drives with something positive. I am changing this from Gano because rumors is he may be tagged.

cody-parkeymatt-haack-6a3c1111af28c24b.j

Draft

1[1] Cleveland Browns: QB Sam Darnold [USC]
1[2] NY Giants: RB Saquan Barkley [Penn St]
1[3] Indianapolis Colts: DE Bradley Chubb [NC State]
1[4] Cleveland Browns [Hou]: CB Minkah Fitzpatrick [Alabama]
1[5] Denver Broncos: OG Quenton Nelson [Notre Dame] *Sign Kirk Cousins
1[6] NY Jets: QB Josh Rosen [UCLA]
1[7] Miami Dolphins [TB]: QB Baker Mayfield [OU]

1[8] CB Josh Jackson [Iowa] 6'2" 200lbs.

I think Jackson will offer the best combination of talent, physical upside, and positional value in the draft. With Fuller tagged and Prince back CB is not a serious need, but Jackson would potentially give the Bears one of the better CB groups in the NFL. Jackson has incredible potential with his size and his ability to generate turnovers, something the Bears have been terrible at in the Pace era. Jackson needs to run well at the combine, but he looks like a #1 CB and Fangio plays enough zone that he can really play to his strengths in the system. I think at this point Davenport is a reach, there are scheme questions about Edmunds and whether he is really a pass rusher, and OG is not really a positional value pick. Jackson gives the Bears an exciting and deep you secondary.

Screen-Shot-2017-11-06-at-12.37.42-PM.pn

2[39] OLB Sam Hubbard [Ohio St] 6'5" 265lbs.

The OLBs in the free agency do not offer a lot and the draft does not have a ton of top 10 talent at the position, but there are some intriguing names in the 2nd round that could come in and jump into the rotation. Hubbard comes from the Ohio St pass rush factory right now and has the size and length that Fangio prefers and the phyiscal edge and strength to play the strongside across from Floyd. Hubbard may not be a 15 sack guy in the NFL, but he can be an 8-10 sack guy, who plays the run well, and brings a relentless effort to the defense. Hubbard steps into a competition with Lynch and Houston and does not have to be rushed on to the field.

6_7893760.jpg

4. WR Tre'quan Smith [UCF] 6'1" 210lbs.

With Moncreif injury history the Bears need someone who has the speed to fill in for him on the outside. Smith has the speed and the vertical production to step in and replace Moncreif's role, which I do not see as being a highly targeted role, but a role of stretching the defense. Smith ideally develops into this role and the Bears do not need to keep Moncrief in the 2nd year of his deal.

0397653001465433906_filepicker.jpg

4. NT Justin Jones [NC State] 6'2" 315lbs.

The Bears need to find a backup NT that can play and keep Goldman and Hicks fresh. Jones is a powerful plugger in the middle who still offers a little pass rush. I have moved Jones up after a very good Senior Bowl where he showed more pass rush than I was expecting. Jones is so strong in the upper body that he can jar OLmen and control the line. He has the power and base to be a top level NFL run defender and would allow the Bears to save Goldman and Hicks for pass rush situations or key downs in the game. This should also help to keep Goldman healthier as he won't be taking as many double teams every game.

Justin+Jones+Kelly+Bryant+Clemson+v+Nort

5. OT Will Richardson [NC State] 6'6" 325lbs.

The Bears need to add an OT to compete with Massie and who can provide some depth this offseason. Richardson has the size and power to come in and compete while his technique gets to NFL standards. Richardson has the physical tools to be an NFL RT and with Hiestand coaching my hope is that he is ready at least to be the swing OT early in the season.

2936988_630x354.jpg

6. OLB Joe Ostman [Central Michigan] 6'3" 260lbs.

The Bears could use adding 2 young OLBs and giving them time to develop. Ostman tore up the Shrine Game, but does not have the size or athletic numbers to wow people. He is a technically sound grinder who can come in and play special teams while seeing what he can become on defense. Fangio had success with a similar guy in SF, Dan Skuta, and found a role for him on defense. What Ostman guarantees is that if injuries ravage the position again you have  a 2nd draft pick that can get valuable time and reps rather than some street free agent with no future.

AR-160409863.jpg&maxh=400&maxw=667

7. OG Jamil Demby [Maine] 6'5" 335lbs.

More young players for Heistand to work with. Both the Saints and Chiefs have a habit of taking day 3 small school OTs and moving them to OG and I think Demby is an ideal candidate. He has good size, length, and power and looked decent at OT at the Senior Bowl. Demby can take a year on the PR or on IR to develop before the Bears really need him for depth. I also think he could factor into the RT competition with some time with Hiestand.

636543020900153891-Demby-2.jpg

Depth Chart

QB: Trubisky, Sanchez
RB: Howard, Cohen, Ivory, Cunningham
WR: Meredith, Moncrief, Wilson, Inman, Smith, White               
TE: Shaheen, Burton, Brown
LT: Leno
LG: Fulton, Morgan
C: Whitehair, Kush
RG: Long, Demby
RT: Massie, Richardson

RE: Bullard, RRH
NT: Goldman, Jones
LE: Hicks, Unrien
OLB: Floyd, Ostman
ILB: Trevathan, Timu
ILB: Kwiatowski, Jones
OLB: Hubbard, Lynch, Houston
CB: Fuller, Amukamara, Jackson, Callahan, Leblanc, McManis
SS: Amos, Bush
FS: Jackson, Hall

K: Parkey
P: O'Donnell
LS: Scales

2 minutes ago, G08 said:

Man... I hate that WR corps 

Why? It has Kevin White included for his resurgence.

I am not sure how we do better unless we land a big fish, which I doubt, or draft in the top 2 rounds. You could take a WR in the 2nd round and sign another OLB, that was my debate.

3 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

Why? It has Kevin White included for his resurgence.

I am not sure how we do better unless we land a big fish, which I doubt, or draft in the top 2 rounds. You could take a WR in the 2nd round and sign another OLB, that was my debate.

It's the reliance on him that I just can't do, but I'm also on a Sammy Watkins kick at the moment. I want him on this roster, badly.

Watkins

Meredith

Rookie

White

Depth

On 2/27/2018 at 2:33 PM, G08 said:

It's the reliance on him that I just can't do, but I'm also on a Sammy Watkins kick at the moment. I want him on this roster, badly.

Watkins

Meredith

Rookie

White

Depth

I would love to add Watkins.

But I cannot see us winning the market for him if he is the only top level guy who hits it.

We've got a lotttt of money and another $5.75 million that we can free up by cutting Markus Wheaton.

Tell me a dude of his size/speed isn't PERFECT for what the Chiefs ran last season (not saying we are doing the exact same thing).

I'm of the opinion you can put him in the Tyreek Hill role and factor in more slants and crossers because his size/strength can handle the hits.

23 minutes ago, G08 said:

We've got a lotttt of money and another $5.75 million that we can free up by cutting Markus Wheaton.

Tell me a dude of his size/speed isn't PERFECT for what the Chiefs ran last season (not saying we are doing the exact same thing).

I'm of the opinion you can put him in the Tyreek Hill role and factor in more slants and crossers because his size/strength can handle the hits.

He would be great,  but even with the most money and a great pitch we may lose him in a market that is him and no one else.

5 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

He would be great,  but even with the most money and a great pitch we may lose him in a market that is him and no one else.

True, but it also opens up the draft. You can go CB/OLB with our first two picks and not have to worry about WR at all until day 3. Lot of OLB value in round 2.

Just now, G08 said:

True, but it also opens up the draft. You can go CB/OLB with our first two picks and not have to worry about WR at all until day 3. Lot of OLB value in round 2.

It would require 2 things that we have not seen Pace do

1. Over pay someone potentially by a decent amount

2. Land someone big in a competitive situation

21 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

It would require 2 things that we have not seen Pace do

1. Over pay someone potentially by a decent amount

2. Land someone big in a competitive situation

Well we don't know what the market is going to be for Watkins, and to be fair he offered the most money to Bouye but was turned down.

Watkins, all you have to tell him is, "See Tyreek Hill last year? That can be you, but better. Interested?" The diva in him won't be able to resist that. Then again... San Fran can say the same thing and point to Garoppolo.

Archived