Lions franchise tag Ezekiel Ansah

flyguy1609

Lions assigned the franchise tag to DE Ezekiel Ansah.

The tag is worth roughly $17.5 million for defensive ends. Coming off an injury-ruined 2016 where he tallied just two sacks, Ansah rebounded for 12 in 2017. He was still inconsistent, racking up his sacks in bunches while disappearing for long stretches. The No. 5 overall pick of the 2013 draft turns 29 in May. The sides have until July 16 to work out a long-term agreement. The Lions could be content to pay Ansah for one more year then let him walk ahead of his age-30 campaign.

I think the Lions were kind of backed into a corner.  This draft isn't great on edge rushers early but I think there are some 2d and 3rd rounders such as Justin Lawler or Sam Hubbard that could end up being pretty good.  I am definitely a fan of having him play for a year with the franchise tag.  It is a really expensive "prove it" deal but it is their best option at this point.

Makes sense. The Lions have cap room and while they might not be sold on Ziggy long-term, he should be good for a year while they find cheaper replacements. 

There’s always the chance that he excels in a new scheme and is resigned, but I don’t see it. 

I would have let him walk regardless. He can't stay healthy, most of his sacks were in 2 or 3 games against very poor OLs that give up a lot of sacks. He was highly inconsistent, not enough pressure. And not just this year but the past 3 seasons. No one is going to pay him $17 million plus give up picks to get him, so now we are paying him to pay 3 good games for us next seasons. 

29 minutes ago, Louis Friend said:

I would have let him walk regardless. He can't stay healthy, most of his sacks were in 2 or 3 games against very poor OLs that give up a lot of sacks. He was highly inconsistent, not enough pressure. And not just this year but the past 3 seasons. No one is going to pay him $17 million plus give up picks to get him, so now we are paying him to pay 3 good games for us next seasons. 

Three good games?  I don't think that's fair, considering he has been an impact player throughout his career.

In addition, I don't recall our other DLinemen posting big sack games against those same poor OLs.  Sure, that speaks volumes about our DLine as well, but those poor OLs exist, and I'll happily keep a player that will destroy them.

We know that he has been battling injuries, but cap space isn't an issue.  Keeping him for another year of evaluation, with no long term cap consequences, was the right move.

our DL overall is severely lacking. It's one of my top two needs this offseason. RB and DL. I think we need to overhaul the whole thing to be honest. I'm not happy with our run defense or pass rush. And I agree that the rest of our DL did not post big numbers... I don't think that boosts Ansahs value tbh.

15 minutes ago, Louis Friend said:

our DL overall is severely lacking. It's one of my top two needs this offseason. RB and DL. I think we need to overhaul the whole thing to be honest. I'm not happy with our run defense or pass rush. And I agree that the rest of our DL did not post big numbers... I don't think that boosts Ansahs value tbh.

It speaks to his potential effectiveness in a league where bad OLs exist.  That, and his other successful seasons shouldn't be overlooked.  We keep a talented player with upside for little short term risk and absolutely no long term consequence.

Keeping him doesn't prevent us from overhauling the line either: add pieces next to Robinson, Ansah and Zettel (in a rotational capacity) and see where it leaves us for the following year.  (I'd also still take Ngata in a situational role.)

Archived