Lions franchise tag Ezekiel Ansah

flyguy1609

Just now, TL-TwoWinsAway said:

It speaks to his potential effectiveness in a league where bad OLs exist.  That, and his other successful seasons shouldn't be overlooked.  We keep a talented player with upside for little short term risk and absolutely no long term consequence.

Keepinghim doesn't prevent us from overhauling the line either: add pieces next to Robinson, Ansah and Zettel (in a rotational capacity) and see where it leaves us for the following year.  (I'd also still take Ngata in a situational role.)

I feel like we could of used that $17 million in a better way. I don't think he's worth that money. 

4 minutes ago, Louis Friend said:

I feel like we could of used that $17 million in a better way. I don't think he's worth that money. 

If we were strapped for cap space, I'd agree with you here.  We simply aren't.  Not only do we have plenty of space, I don't want the team throwing around huge contracts in free agency anyway.  We still have plenty to make a run at a key piece and a few rotation/situational upside players, and I feel that's exactly where our spending mindset should be.

Considering where our DE depth is right now, I feel it was either Ansah on the tag or another starting DE in FA, and Ansah on the tag is the far better value.

Good move.  He can defend the run as well as get to the passer.  This draft is not deep in edge rushers.  You might as well keep an above average one.   It also gives Quinn time to see if he's able to work out something long term.  If not,  let him walk

3 hours ago, TL-TwoWinsAway said:

Keeping him doesn't prevent us from overhauling the line either: add pieces next to Robinson, Ansah and Zettel (in a rotational capacity) and see where it leaves us for the following year.  (I'd also still take Ngata in a situational role.)

Non Lions fan perspective 

DE:

Either Marcus Davenport in the1st, Arden Key in the 2nd, Duke Ejiofor 3rd Or Tyquan Lewis/Jalyn Holmes in the 3rd

DT: Andrew Brown 3rd, Nathan Shepherd 3rd, PJ Hall 5th

All of these guys are good pass rushers and would add a jolt to your pass rush, out of them all, Ejiofor would be the best value because he is the most refined as a pass rusher.

Also look at David Irving in FA, super efficient interior pass rusher.

Don't really hate it honestly. Still have cap space to do somethings and honestly our biggest need going into FA is DE and who is better out there available? Anyone the team can draft or wants to draft is still an option, in fact it should still be a high priority even with him returning because they need a real threat opposite of him or on downs he's not playing. Lions aren't in a real good spot to let him go and not get anything in return besides the comp pick with no real options better than him available in FA.

PLUS they still have like 30 million to add talent.

7 hours ago, TL-TwoWinsAway said:

If we were strapped for cap space, I'd agree with you here.  We simply aren't.  Not only do we have plenty of space, I don't want the team throwing around huge contracts in free agency anyway.  We still have plenty to make a run at a key piece and a few rotation/situational upside players, and I feel that's exactly where our spending mindset should be.

Considering where our DE depth is right now, I feel it was either Ansah on the tag or another starting DE in FA, and Ansah on the tag is the far better value.

I didn't see this before I posted but yeah this is a good post here. I agree with about everything he said.

I say smart move. We have the cap. Not like if  we even get the  best FA and #1 pick we'd be guaranteed a super bowl. We cant go into FA with 0 pass rushers and one starting DT...if hes good honestly franchise him again. He'll be 30...and he's no Julius Peppers. Can give time t a new guy or maybe Zettel. But I don't see him as a starter. But really hope he can stay healthy at least for 9-12 games this year, get 10 sacks And be a Top 20 DE. but realistically I expect an injury in camp lol

29 minutes ago, NFL_Fan said:

I say smart move. We have the cap. Not like if  we even get the  best FA and #1 pick we'd be guaranteed a super bowl. We cant go into FA with 0 pass rushers and one starting DT...if hes good honestly franchise him again. He'll be 30...and he's no Julius Peppers. Can give time t a new guy or maybe Zettel. But I don't see him as a starter. But really hope he can stay healthy at least for 9-12 games this year, get 10 sacks And be a Top 20 DE. but realistically I expect an injury in camp lol

Playing devil's advocate, outside of three games last year, even with Ansah we're still going into FA with 0 pass rushers.

7 minutes ago, Nnivolcm said:

Playing devil's advocate, outside of three games last year, even with Ansah we're still going into FA with 0 pass rushers.

Ansah has started 71 games throughout his career.  We know what he has done in the past.  Looking at only the negative isn't reasonable.

12 hours ago, TL-TwoWinsAway said:

Ansah has started 71 games throughout his career.  We know what he has done in the past.  Looking at only the negative isn't reasonable.

As Devil's advocate again, outside of three games against bottom of the NFL level competition, Ansah has been a ghost for two years. That's more of a pattern than his one year of being an effective pass rusher.

12 hours ago, Nnivolcm said:

As Devil's advocate again, outside of three games against bottom of the NFL level competition, Ansah has been a ghost for two years. That's more of a pattern than his one year of being an effective pass rusher.

Without context, it's absolutely valid.  It ignores the fact that he has spent the last few years recovering from injuries.  It also ignores the average players around him and seems to measure his effectiveness as a DE by sacks alone.  Lastly, it shifts focus away from his first three years, which - using this reasoning - were years that showed how valuable he truly is.  (If we're measuring by sacks alone, he has averaged 10 per season through those first three years.)

Instead of removing strong (sack) performances and drawing conclusions, we can evaluate him by the entirety of his career thus far.  Based on that, keeping him for another year with absolutely no long term commitment or financial consequence, and with plenty of cap space, is the right decision.

1 hour ago, TL-TwoWinsAway said:

Without context, it's absolutely valid.  It ignores the fact that he has spent the last few years recovering from injuries.  It also ignores the average players around him and seems to measure his effectiveness as a DE by sacks alone.  Lastly, it shifts focus away from his first three years, which - using this reasoning - were years that showed how valuable he truly is.  (If we're measuring by sacks alone, he has averaged 10 per season through those first three years.)

Instead of removing strong (sack) performances and drawing conclusions, we can evaluate him by the entirety of his career thus far.  Based on that, keeping him for another year with absolutely no long term commitment or financial consequence, and with plenty of cap space, is the right decision.

The context is that his pressure numbers are worse than his sack numbers. I acknowledge he has spent the last few years injured, I just don't see any reason to believe he's ever going to be 100% again. It seems counter intuitive to place more confidence in distant history than recent history. Ansah has been a non factor for several years now, one year I was hoping was a fluke, two years doesn't feel fluky anymore. 

Removing those "strong" sack performances was done because 9 of his 12 sacks came against the NFL versions of blocking dummies. In the other 13 games he was an afterthought. However you look at it, putting 17 millions of our cap into a guy who is never healthy and vanishes for the majority of the season, limits the rest of what we can do with our cap. We might not be able to get a top tier DE in FA, but we can certainly get cheaper specialized pieces that Patricia seems to thrive fitting into his morphing defenses week to week.

I understand why it was done. Lack of better options and blind hope that he can get healthy. I'm just not excited about it, and if they don't address the pass rush in other ways I see another year being at the bottom of the league in pressuring the QB.

I disagree with pretty much all of that.  He has battled injuries, sure, but still managed to play 73 of a possible 80 games throughout his career.  It's not like he faced back to back career threatening injuries and missed significant time.

We still have plenty of cap to add "cheaper specialized pieces".

If your argument is based on the notion that Quinn and Patricia applied "blind hope" to the Ansah re-signing, then I guess there's not much else to say.  Then again, if we're refusing to put "blind hope" into any NFL free agent who has battled through injuries, I guess we wouldn't be able to sign anyone, making our cap space irrelevant.

I guess I'll throw "blind hope" at a player who, on average, misses just more than one game per season, and who's borderline elite at best, but easily beats bad OTs at worst.

Archived