2018 NFL Combine (measurements in OP)

goldfishwars

7 hours ago, VanS said:

Don't be surprised if Malik Jefferson (Texas) runs the fastest 40 ever for a LB.  https://www.sbnation.com/college-football-recruiting/2014/7/8/5881335/5-star-malik-jefferson-posts-absurd-4-38-40-yard-dash-at-the-opening

These Nike Opening times have shown a tendency to correlate to a degree.  Sub-4.4 is probably not gonna happen.  But I can see him running in the 4.4s at 240+ LBS.   That could vault him into 1st round discussion.

I'm not even sure he has to run quite that fast to vault into 1st round discussion.  He may do it, but either way...i think teams have a pretty good idea the sort of superb athlete he is for the position.  Do expect big things from him, and this is a chance for him to really shine in general though.  As long as he does generally confirm the athleticism.  

Almost think it could be the other way 'round though actually.  In that i think he's already in that 1st round discussion on the expectation of his athleticism, but a less than stellar combine could really tank his stock.  If he were to turn out to not be quite the athletic prototype he's been profiled as.

31 minutes ago, MSURacerDT55 said:

I'm pulling for it, either way, he's going to end up being a great value for a team. The way he's being underrated with no definitive answer why is insane.

Covering TE's/FB's/RB's out of the backfield KILLED him this year. In terms of a sideline to sideline guy, he's as good as they come, especially coupled with his extreme athleticism. For right or for wrong, that's definitely why.

5 hours ago, MWil23 said:

Covering TE's/FB's/RB's out of the backfield KILLED him this year. In terms of a sideline to sideline guy, he's as good as they come, especially coupled with his extreme athleticism. For right or for wrong, that's definitely why.

We been over this, we know why though, Bill Davis's teachings obviously differ from Luke Fickell's teaching. 2016 he did those things as well as any, 2017 he all of the sudden has issues with it? come on, that's a legitimate question to ask, and it also tells you that it isn't necessarily the player's fault. Also if there are people who are really paying attention to him, they will notice the development of his ability to diagnose and get to the ball quickly and make plays (usually for no gain to TFL) also the angles in which he takes to the ball.

Those his issues with RPO's are directly attributed to the keys is he instructed to read and notice all LB's on the field had the same issues. Please, legitimately ask yourselves why he excelled last year in coverage and now all of the sudden has issues. I actually think he's getting blamed for something that may not even be in his hands which isn't fair to him.

Just now, MSURacerDT55 said:

We been over this, we know why though, Bill Davis's teachings obviously differ from Luke Fickell's teaching. 2016 he did those things as well as any, 2017 he all of the sudden has issues with it? come on, that's a legitimate question to ask, and it also tells you that it isn't necessarily the player's fault. Also if there are people who are really paying attention to him, they will notice the development of his ability to diagnose and get to the ball quickly and make plays (usually for no gain to TFL) also the angles in which he takes to the ball.

Those his issues with RPO's are directly attributed to how he's instructed to read. Please, legitimately ask yourselves why he excelled last year in coverage and now all of the sudden has issues. I actually think he's getting blamed for something that may not even be in his hands which isn't fair to him.

Losing Raekwan McMillan as the underrated and STUD MLB that he was didn't help things, especially I would assume from a communication and formation recognition standpoint.

Looks like we will start to get measurements now. First I have seen was on Rotoworld :

Oklahoma T Orlando Brown arrived at the NFL Combine at 6-foot-7 7/8-inches and 345 pounds.

Brown boasts 35-inch arms and a wingspan of 85 1/8-inches with 9 3/4-inch hands. As you can tell, Brown is a massive human being and has plenty of experience at left tackle. His NFL position is in question to some, as we've seen many automatically place him on the right side due to his lack of foot speed. But in reality, Brown will continue to face fast pass rushers on the right side, so his same difficulties could pop up there as on the left side. One of Brown's best traits is his size, as it takes a wide loop to get around him on an island.

Charles Robinson is pumping out OL numbers right now.  Some really interesting ones to note.

But a LOT of OL are coming in at sub-300lbs.  Including Connor Williams, Jamarco Jones, Geron Christian, and Brian O'Neill, along with a lot more showing up at 305....and then there's Brown...lol

But I kind of like the movement to more athletic, functionally strong OL, so this is going to be an interesting draft year for OL, since most teams still prefer those bigger, athletic OT's.

14 hours ago, VanS said:

Don't be surprised if Malik Jefferson (Texas) runs the fastest 40 ever for a LB.  https://www.sbnation.com/college-football-recruiting/2014/7/8/5881335/5-star-malik-jefferson-posts-absurd-4-38-40-yard-dash-at-the-opening

These Nike Opening times have shown a tendency to correlate to a degree.  Sub-4.4 is probably not gonna happen.  But I can see him running in the 4.4s at 240+ LBS.   That could vault him into 1st round discussion.

I think Shaquem Griffin will be vying for the fastest LB 40 this year. Mark me down as having him in the 4.45 to 4.50 range.

40 minutes ago, oldman9er said:

Looks like we will start to get measurements now. First I have seen was on Rotoworld :

Oklahoma T Orlando Brown arrived at the NFL Combine at 6-foot-7 7/8-inches and 345 pounds.

Brown boasts 35-inch arms and a wingspan of 85 1/8-inches with 9 3/4-inch hands. As you can tell, Brown is a massive human being and has plenty of experience at left tackle. His NFL position is in question to some, as we've seen many automatically place him on the right side due to his lack of foot speed. But in reality, Brown will continue to face fast pass rushers on the right side, so his same difficulties could pop up there as on the left side. One of Brown's best traits is his size, as it takes a wide loop to get around him on an island.

I guess we can't call him Little Zeus anymore.

2 hours ago, MSURacerDT55 said:

I'm pulling for it, either way, he's going to end up being a great value for a team. The way he's being underrated with no definitive answer why is insane.

Undersized. Plays small. Lack of instincts. Washed out in run support. The reasons I've seen. Sounds like all he has is speed. More athlete than football player. Watching OSU, that certainly seems the case.

14 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

Undersized. Plays small. Lack of instincts. Washed out in run support. The reasons I've seen. Sounds like all he has is speed. More athlete than football player. Watching OSU, that certainly seems the case.

With 100% respect due, this sounds like an analysis of a guy who watched little to no extensive tape on the guy, blanket statement. Sounds like? bro watch film and formulate your own opinion.

Archived