2018 NFL Combine (measurements in OP)

goldfishwars

Just now, jrry32 said:

Nelson has OT dimensions. I know he's a dominant OG, but I'm surprised he's never been tried at OT. I also noticed that we have some very long OTs in this class.

Didnt he go in to ND as a OT but they wanted to get him on the field so they played him at OG. i think i read that about him.

8 hours ago, Tugboat said:

Definitely smells a bit like something to hide.  Probably smart for his draft stock though.  Gives him another full month or so to work with coaches to temporarily iron some things out a bit, and put together a controlled show and tell throwing routine that he can tailor to hide some of the ugly in his motion.  While also avoiding the unpleasantness of lining up directly side by each with some of the far more smooth, natural throwers at the combine for a clear in person comparison.  Having his mechanics torn to shreds in contrast.  

Rubbish, QB's have been skipping the Combine for years and using their pto day as their coming out party. You cannot fool scouts and GM's by trying to hide something, they all want to see a full QB program where every kind of throw is made. At least at their pro days they will be throwing to WR's who they are accustomed to, rather than a bunch of WR's they have never played with before.

Every QB agent recommends their clients skip the Combine for just that reason.

54 minutes ago, reamer said:

Nice measurements/testing spreadsheet with historical positional averages. I'm not sure who maintains it, but it looks accurate:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1dTgGyvrLE0vIm9yj4rK_ZznbRU19sQ1RwKimJ8UhhOY/edit#gid=0

thanks for this.   How come they are incomplete?  Few prospects are blank.

Where did you get it from exactly.

8 hours ago, Iamcanadian said:

Rubbish, QB's have been skipping the Combine for years and using their pto day as their coming out party. You cannot fool scouts and GM's by trying to hide something, they all want to see a full QB program where every kind of throw is made. At least at their pro days they will be throwing to WR's who they are accustomed to, rather than a bunch of WR's they have never played with before.

Every QB agent recommends their clients skip the Combine for just that reason.

That's exactly why i said what i did.  The Pro Day is clearly a better environment for controlling what happens...down to the last detail.  Throwing at the combine invites opportunity (however small) for unexpected, unfamiliar, uncontrolled, unprepared things to pop up.  The little element of surprise, randomness, and less control is valuable in the way it can bring out natural underlying habits or tendencies.  Even minor distraction or discomfort can rattle loose some natural reactions and tendencies.

Avoiding any sort of unpredictable situation where some of Darnold's ugly natural mechanics might peek through is a very smart decision on his part.  Of course his agent is going to advise he perform his perfectly rehearsed script where he doesn't have to worry about something ugly peeking through on tape.  Where he's going to have the control do everything in a way that best flatters his ability and allows him to do it all in a familiar and rehearsed way.  Where he can completely clear his head of any real "thinking" or "adapting" and instead concentrate on just making sure he sets his feet just right, cuts that stupid loop out of his motion as much as possible, etc.

In addition to not having to stand there on the very same field on the very same day, next to a bunch of other QBs who are probably going to look a lot "prettier" throwing the football vs air than he will.  Teams are obviously going to compare this stuff anyway, but making the comparison that much easier and more direct isn't the sort of thing that's going to flatter Darnold.  That's not playing to his strengths.

But playing to strengths still reeks of hiding something to me.  Even if it's obviously the smart thing for him to do, for himself.

9 hours ago, 49erurtaza said:

Didnt he go in to ND as a OT but they wanted to get him on the field so they played him at OG. i think i read that about him.

I'm pretty sure he's filled in at OT in the past (during McGlinchey's injury) and he acquitted himself well.  The thing is, it's kind of similar to Kyle Long or Kelechi Osemele (only arguably much better)... he's a passable tackle but an exceptional guard.  And ultimately most teams can tend to do a lot more with an All-Pro caliber guard and a passable tackle than a passable tackle and whatever they have already at guard (unless they already have an All-Pro guard).  The versatility certainly helps Nelson's case, but he's far and away better suited and projects with a higher ceiling at guard than he does at OT.

Really interesting that even giving up a few inches of height, Isaiah Wynn measures in with slightly longer arms and a bigger wingspan than Connor Williams.  Such a strange build on Wynn.  Really wonder if he actually could survive at Tackle.  The tape doing it in college is good, and the wingspan is at least sort of into the ballpark (though the buzz is obviously humming about Williams having to move inside).

Archived