2018 NFL Combine (measurements in OP)

goldfishwars

Apke is a late round guy who has all the athleticism in the world, just is still really raw as a DB.  He got turned around and caught out of position a lot at Penn State.  Teams actually targeted him in coverage.  But he's got talent, just is a late bloomer.  I see him as a practice squad guy for a couple years, then breaking into a rotation.  He actually screwed up a punt block once because he got to the punter too fast.

Yeah Denzel Ward is a freak. He's my #3 rated player overall and the combine didn't make me question it one bit. He's as shutdown as they come in coverage and has the freaky athletic numbers to back it up. Do I wish he was bigger? Sure, but dudes that don't allow an inch of separation frustrate big WR's. I very rarely see corners lose in the NFL because they weren't big enough to cover someone. And Ward isn't Tye Hill. He's not really short, not really skinny, and physicality is a staple of his playing style.

3 minutes ago, PapaShogun said:

Why are NFL combine results labeled as unofficial? What is official then?

Unofficial is what they are labeled as when they initially happen. All tests are verified after that (video) and then published which is what gets labeled as official.

3 minutes ago, PapaShogun said:

From my understanding over the years, official to them is the slowest time, because they are in disbelief of what they actually viewed.

2 minutes ago, BleedTheClock said:

Yeah Denzel Ward is a freak. He's my #3 rated player overall and the combine didn't make me question it one bit. He's as shutdown as they come in coverage and has the freaky athletic numbers to back it up. Do I wish he was bigger? Sure, but dudes that don't allow an inch of separation frustrate big WR's. I very rarely see corners lose in the NFL because they weren't big enough to cover someone. And Ward isn't Tye Hill. He's not really short, not really skinny, and physicality is a staple of his playing style.

Nope! Try Dunta Robinson.

10 minutes ago, PapaShogun said:

I believe that "Official" is just for the purposes of keeping records for the combine.  No NFL team puts stock in a single representative number, if you have one good run and one bad one, and you have 5 different stopwatch times on a single run, all of that is relevant information that you're going to want to use in compiling your final grade on a guy.

10 minutes ago, BleedTheClock said:

I'm also quite bullish on Ward. What are your thoughts on him as a deep middle safety?

Just now, Rich7sena said:

I'm also quite bullish on Ward. What are your thoughts on him as a deep middle safety?

You'd be taking the best man/press man CB in the draft, who can play on an island, from arguably the best university in the nation at producing top end CB talent, and he's also a very good tackler, and putting him as a FS...that negates a lot of his value IMO. I'm not saying that he can't do it, especially later in his career, but that's not what he should be doing.

Just now, Rich7sena said:

He could probably play there, but why? His best attribute is his man coverage ability. And cornerbacks are infinitely more valuable than free safeties are. I would take Derwin James over him if I needed a safety, but I don't doubt that he could play there. It just doesn't make sense to move him to FS when he's so good at corner. I think he's an A prospect as a corner and a B+ prospect as a FS.

Archived