What is your most valued combine event and why?

brownie man

Mine would be the broad jump and the 10 yard split

I'm very big on explosion 

I feel you if you better explosion than your opponent you the upper hand faster

I want backs that are more explosive than fast who hit the hole hard and explode through it, I want receivers that can explode and pressure the DB when facing press coverage, I want lineman who can explode off the snap getting the jump on the opposing player, I want linebackers that can explode in the hold filling gaps, and I want DBs that can explode and break on while the ball is in the air

I think Broad will actually tell of an athletes explosion versus his vertical jump just because more so players are moving forward when it comes to what I care about. 

Look, every scout, HC and GM hand times the 40. Speed kills and if you do not fit in to the average range for your position, established over the last 65 years, your chances of making it in the NFL are very slight. Hand times may not be perfect but every organization uses them and ignores official times. Official times are for the TV audience and to see if a record can be broken, but hand timing is what counts for scouts, HC's and GM's!!!

PS: They hand time every position, so anybody who thinks hand timing is a waste of time, just does not understand what the professionals think is important!!! No drill will take a player in or out of the draft faster than their 40. 

I like the defensive movement drills best. To watch the burst and change of direction w/o pads does give a sense of their balance, foot quickness, etc. 

Otherwise, I pay more attention to 10-20 yd splits, 3 cone, short shuttle. Really depends on the position, in some cases. Just all factors in together, in the end. 

As mentioned, 3-cone for time.

WhatI really like to hone in on, however, is how well a player can go through the drills. Does he need multiple corrections, or does he know the requirements through prep work? How smoothly are his feet and core working in unison? Does he give 100% effort, or loaf around? I want fluid, efficient movers, and good listeners with strong work ethics.

While it's not possible to accurately and comprehensively build out character profiles by watching a few drills, I do think it's a fairly useful way to eliminate some bad eggs. Combine (haha) that with news reports, and you can get a feel for who that guy really is, as much as you can without meeting someone in person.

14 hours ago, BleedTheClock said:

Vertical leap and broad jump.

I still JO to the 40 time, but it's not really that important.

I feel like very rarely do DE's with great verticals end up not being explosive pass rushers.

Same here.  I pay the highest attention to the vertical and broad jumps.  Especially for edge rushers and running backs.  Those are the positions where initial explosion is most important.

I don't mind a slow 40 time.  The 40 is more about technique than it is your actual playing speed on the football field.  The jumps however do test your raw explosion.  And football is a game of quick explosive moves so those are probably the best tests at the combine for judging that ability.

Also the 3-cone is valuable for all positions because agility is critical at almost every position.

11 hours ago, Iamcanadian said:

Look, every scout, HC and GM hand times the 40. Speed kills and if you do not fit in to the average range for your position, established over the last 65 years, your chances of making it in the NFL are very slight. Hand times may not be perfect but every organization uses them and ignores official times. Official times are for the TV audience and to see if a record can be broken, but hand timing is what counts for scouts, HC's and GM's!!!

PS: They hand time every position, so anybody who thinks hand timing is a waste of time, just does not understand what the professionals think is important!!! No drill will take a player in or out of the draft faster than their 40. 

I don't think anyone is saying the 40 time is totally irrelevant.   As you said, you need to be in the average range for your position.  What I'm saying is, an especially excellent 40-time has almost no correlation to success on the football field.   However, great numbers in the broad/vertical jump and the 3-cone have more correlation to success on the field. 

Archived