What is your most valued combine event and why?

brownie man

4 hours ago, RuskieTitan said:

The underwear and shirtless weigh-in. Just seeing all those physical specimen on display.

I believe the OP was asking for football purposes... not personal (not that there's anything wrong with that) :P

4 minutes ago, G08 said:

I believe the OP was asking for football purposes... not personal (not that there's anything wrong with that) :P

Football is about making money. If you have someone who looks good, chances are they will score more marketing opportunities, and increase your franchise's revenue.

It's absolutely integral to the combine.

QB - interview (& height)

RB - 20SS

WR -3C & 40

TE - 10y

OL - 10y & (VJ+BJ) & BP

DL - 10y & (VJ+BJ) & BP

EDGE - Modified Waldo (20SS + stuff)

LB - 20SS

CB - 20SS & 40

S - 20SS & 3C

Usually, I focus on one or two and use the other tests as cross-check

I look to the positional drills a lot to see how easily they move

I wish they would show them standing around more. That is valuable. See who the leaders are and who the lone wolves are.

• 1 month later...

Funny, every scout, HC and GM times the 40 personally, yet everybody on this site thinks it carries little weight???

You cannot teach speed and speed kills in football, without it, you are just another average middle round pick. The 40 yard run is much more than just pure speed, as any 100 meter track star will tell you, that to run the 40 effectively, you have to have a tremendous get off and almost instant speed.

Not saying the other drills aren't important, they all carry a lot of weight with scouts, HC's and GM's, but if you fail miserably in your 40, you can almost forget about a pro career, non of the other drills carry that much importance.

Ol and DL who can break the 5.0 mark are almost assured of being a fairly decent pick if they have the height and weight. Only QB does not require a solid time, arm strength is the first box they check for that position.

On 2/28/2018 at 12:26 PM, G08 said:

3 cone, I think it plays a tremendous role in pass rush, route running, and of course playing corner.

It's not the end-all-be-all -- nothing is -- but it's arguably the most telling event for me.

This and vert jump (best measure of explosiveness) for me. I will still value tape/production first (I still like Chubb as a blue chip prospect despite his 3 cone for example) but generally those are the drills that translate rather well.

Archived