4 round quick defensive mock

101Raider

Wanted to put together a quick mock pre-combine

Quick notes:

I wish there was a DE this draft we could look at 10.  Unfortunately Chubb will be long gone and I'm not sure what I think about Davenport.

Also, I'm truly worried about the tackle position and Penn holding up another year.  I'll be honest, I haven't looked at the OT position much this year so would struggle projecting anyone at this point... Hence I'm banking on Penn, Newhouse and Sharp to figure it out. 

Raiders go defense heavy this draft.  I think each selection would significantly strengthen our defense at each level.  The one Free Agency liberty I took is projecting we get Trumane Johnson in FA.  With this draft Amerson, Smith and Irving are obvious cuts.

My ideal draft would involve a trade down (getting AZ's 1st and 2nd).  

1st: Vita Vea: 

Guy is simply a monster.  He is going to command a double constantly and will eat up any semblance of a run game.  A nose tackle that can add a rush is a rare thing.  Mack and Co would be set up for success.  Would also prolong Bowman's career in the middle (assuming we resign him).  Wish we had the luxury of drafting both Vea and Tim Settle latter, those two would kill run games and make 3-5 step drops impossible.  

2nd: Leighton Vander Esch LB: Boise State

Each year off the ball linebackers are predicted throughout the 1st and each year they drop.  Smith and Edmunds will likely go in the 1st.  After them you have Evans, LVE and Jefferson (I think they go in that order, though I prefer LVE).  If LVE is gone, Evans is the pickup.

2nd: Mike Haynes, CB UCF

Jaire Alexander would be my target with our earlier 2nd if we aren't able to land one of the top FA CB (Though If Alexander is the pick, I'd go after Aaron Colvin in FA for our slot).  Not thrilled with going in with Conley and a rookie as our #1 and #2, so I'm hoping that T. Johnson is our big fish. Figure the monetary cost of Amerson and Smith (in this scenario he's cut)  would equate to a top CB... If that's the case then Mike Hughes is the guy I go get.  Would be a great slot CB with his quick twitch and aggressive tendencies. In this day and age, a slot CB is essentially a starter, so wouldn't be a luxury pick...  Would add a lot of value as a returner too (gives us security if we decide to cut Cordelle or keep him one more year and let walk next). 

3rd: Jerome Baker, LB Ohio State:  Solves our WLB issues.  Undersized and disappointing last year (compared to expectations) means the Raiders profit.  LVE and Baker would transform our linebacker corps from a weakness to a strength.

4th: Marquis Haynes, DE Ole Miss: Purely a situational pass rusher.  Mario Edwards would remain at end for base sets and move inside on passing situations.  Bring Haynes in for obvious passing situations.  He's a heat seeking missile rushing the passer and would make Irving truly expendable.  Would basically be Chris Clemons 2.0 when he played for us.

Not sure what we can get for our 6 sixth round picks, but I would be using them to look at moving around the draft to secure our targets.  

3 hours ago, 101Raider said:

3rd: Jerome Baker, LB Ohio State:  Solves our WLB issues.  Undersized and disappointing last year (compared to expectations) means the Raiders profit.  LVE and Baker would transform our linebacker corps from a weakness to a strength.

Baker is soft, plays to his size. All he has is speed. I don't see anything else for the position to be excited about. He would not be a day 1 starter or transform anything into a strength.

Compared to other undersized LBs, he's the worst of them. No feel for the game, gets eaten alive in the run game, always late to react. He will be over drafted for his speed. 

Archived